LONG TERM BUNNING/PINUPS

What's the longest you've EVER gone wearing buns or pinups?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LaReyna756

I've been hiding my hair all through my LHCF journey (like 2 years now). Not really for protective styling, I just don't like how it looks down so it is ALWAYS in a bun.
I think it benefits me because my ends aren't drying out against my shirt or rubbing against anything.

Same here. And for me it's too much trouble to wear it down everyday, and by the end of the day, it's doing its own thing. But I like keeping it long so that I can do a lot of different styles with it. And the buns are simple and elegant.

Seeking8Rights

I wore buns since day 1 of my hair journey-- June 2004. Years. The bunning helped me tremendously with length, but it hurt me as well. I noticed that bunning-- even loose bunning was thinning my hair in the low crown (under the holder) and my edges as well. Wet bunning was the worst. My hair pins were also causing me breakage. So after much debate, I stopped the 24/7 bunning to rebuild those weak areas again. I've also stopped relaxing in the mean time. My last relaxer was in May and I don't plan to relax until I see considerable improvement in these areas. The problems are not too visible, since I have alot of hair to mask it, but it is there-- and it is depressing. :crying3:

Now I am concentrating on more free movement styles like rollersets, spirals, rods, and braidouts. Basically tension free, low manipulation styles. This is working much better for me. :yep: Plus I look cuter. :lachen:

cosigning. I'm actually enjoying my relaxed/textured hair and braidouts are the ish! I'm getting tired of rollersetting and sitting under the dryer for however long..five, den, dweny minutos. :nono: aka I'm just getting lazy.

Also, when I did bun I didn't appreciate how my ends came out kind of kinked. I must be doing something wrong, but regardless I'm frowning at the thought of bunning again.

Babygurl

Ive been bunning since I started my hair journey and that was 2003. Ever since Ive worn my hair in a bun 99% of the time. In the beginning it was for protection/retaining of ends. Now its more for convenience.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
When I got serious about taking better care of my hair in May of this year, I was mostly wearing braid outs and twist outs. Now I've decided to wear it up in a clip or a bun for a few months now. My hair has thickened up nicely with my no heat-protein-henna-castor oil treatments I've been doing. I think by wearing it up every day, it will get even better. I will still flat iron once a month though just for a length check.

nymane

Braid out up-dos were my main style for the first year my of HHJ and my retention was amazing...now I'm going into my 2nd year and I plan to do the same :yep:

JustKiya

I've been bunning/pinuping pretty consistently for at least the last 18 months, possibly more. My hair stays moist and protected, and I don't have to deal with it in the mornings. It's a winwin. I'll wear the RARE twistout on an occasional weekend, but otherwise, my hair is up.

It's not a struggle for me, because it's still not long enough for me to wear down and it not start looking rather Krusty the Klown like in a matter of minutes. :lol: I figure I've got another 2 years, minimum, before I'm actually 'tempted' to wear my hair down regularly.

lowridin76

I've pretty much just worn ponytails/buns ever since I've been doing my own hair. Very rarely in the past have I worn my hair down. Of course, with better haircare came shinier, healthier, bigger buns.

ladysaraii

I've been bunning since I started my HHJ in July. Well either that or wearing a wig.

I stopped using hair bands and switched to bobbie pins and now I use hair pins. I like those much better. The bands seemed to take a lot of hair with them and the pins dont.

I haven''t had an issue w/ my edges, but they already need work. I also feel like I can have a looser bun w/ the pins and it still look nice than a tight bun w/ bands

now to try hairsticks and experiement w/ other styles

beans4reezy

How long did you HIDE YOUR HAIR
using bunning/pinup styles?

How did it benefit you?

Last year- I bunned for about 4 months using buns and pin-ups. IT benefited me because I was SL at the time and I knew if I wanted to reach APL, I needed to keep my ends off my shoulders. These styles also make it easy for me not to manipulate my hair too much during the week :)

Toy

I have been bunning since my journey began about 4 yrs...and it has really paid off.

grow

thanks for this thread!

since i co-wash 3-6 times a week, and am almost 12 weeks post, my new functional bun is to just put the ends in a plastic bag after having gathered them together as if i were going to put on a scrunchie or something (scrunchies were always too tight and pulling, even for my loose buns, so i dropped them).

then i wrap the plastic bagged ponytail under until it is close to my scalp.
once it's secured, take some cut up stockings and wrap them around my baggied "bun" until you can't see the plastic bag.
then i decorate with silk flowers, feathers, claw clips and scarves.

no bobby pins, no scrunchies or ponytail holders directly on my hair, no twisting my hair directly into a wrap. it's all done with the plastic bag "covering" my hair (which has been moisturized and sealed before going in the bag).

if i want my edges to look smoother, i slick some jbco on, wrap only the front with a silk scarf and only for 5 minutes (that area is too delicate for tension and tight), then i "smooth" it with a wide comb (never even getting to my lengths, which are bunned in the plastic bag), like some of the ladies have mentioned.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
A few days but I wish I could go longer without having an urge to wear my hair down.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
ETA: Sometimes I feel the bunning causing too much tension on certain strands, no matter how loose the bun is. Also I think it leads to chewed up ends over time, cause the ends are tucked in - in close quarters scrunched up against each other. When my hair gets longer, I will wear my rollersets out more...and eventually phase out the bun. Right now it is a means to an end.
I've thought about this but I think as long as the ends are kept smooth and moisturized, the ends won't get "chewed" up from being tucked in all the time. From my experience, I've noticed that when I do bunning on dry hair with no moisturizer, that's when the ends get "chewed" up.

cch24

Bunning got me from past shoulder length to almost waist in a year. I recently big chopped and I plan on bunning again. At this point, it's all I know, and I'm okay with that, because it works!

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I've been bunning a little over a year. For me it's a very simple yet elegant style, I'm too busy to do anything else and I get some very nice retention from it.

KurlyNinja

I've been bunning for the past few months. I think I've been retaining length, but then again I haven't really been checking. At first I was doing it becauses I wanted to retain length now I'm doing it because I'm too lazy to do a real style. :lachen: I don't even care when people give me that crazy side eye because I'm over 3 months post and I don't have my edges slicked down. As long as my hair isn't falling out my head and breaking off, I'm good so I will probably be doing this for a while...

Triniwegian

I have bunned pretty consistently ever since I started my transition, which is almost 3 years ago. I have straightened my hair maybe 5 times during that period.
I don't think it has contributed much..I see a lot of people who BC'd around the same time as me (with 1 year transition like I did) who wear their hair down on a regular basis and practically never PS and have the same length as me.

I don't bun or wear protective styles anymore just for the sake of protecting my hair, I do it because it's convenient and straightening my hair in the summer is futile.

Once fall and lower temperatures/humidity reaches, I will be enjoying my hair a lot more.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
i just started bunning again, bunning is the reason for being MBL/WL, along with the juice of course,

is there a thread of pictures of buns??? relaxed and natural????

brucebettye

I just started bunning since February. I really enjoy the results and the ease of bunning. I have not had any bad results so far and I will do this until December to see how far I will get with my retention.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
i just started bunning again, bunning is the reason for being MBL/WL, along with the juice of course,

is there a thread of pictures of buns??? relaxed and natural????

Would love to see a thread of buns for ideas because I'm not that creative nor do I want my ends or edges to suffer in any way.

Charla

This thread is an oldie but a goody and has been very helpful for me recently. Bumping so it can benefit others. :bouncegre

Aggie

I have been bunning my hair for the past 6-7 months and found that my hair is retaining length a lot better and getting thicker actually. I have trimmed it 3 times since the year rolled in and I will keep it this way next year as well. I don't have the crazy endless splits and SSks anymore and I am so happy I found a style that my hair actually loves.

Like others, I don't pull my hair back tightly and so my ends are still doing very well and so is the hair in the middle of my head where I position the bun. It gets sufficient moisture daily and responding nicely to being bunned....so far so good!