LONG TERM BUNNING/PINUPS

What's the longest you've EVER gone wearing buns or pinups?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've been hiding my hair all through my LHCF journey (like 2 years now). Not really for protective styling, I just don't like how it looks down so it is ALWAYS in a bun.
I think it benefits me because my ends aren't drying out against my shirt or rubbing against anything.

SouthernTease

I'm on 4 months and I've only worn
my hair down maybe 4 times in that
period. It's helped me because
now I don't have to get my ends trimmed
every 6-8 weeks because my ends are
always hidden. I really hope it pays off.
SO FAR SO GOOD

Neroli

Well, I didn't really hid my hair, but I've done buns, braids with extensions, braids with natural hair, etc. for 4 to 12 weeks at time. The most noticeable benefit was length retention, but also thicker.

How long did you HIDE YOUR HAIR
using bunning/pinup styles?

How did it benefit you?

FlawedBeauty

i do it everyday. its very rare i wear my hair down. i think its helping it to grow because if i dont wear it down i dont have to use heat to straighten it. my hair and excessive amounts of heat don't get along.

MizAvalon

I wear some kind of pinned up/clipped up/ponytail type style just about every day. Been doing it for years,

I'm about to start wearing it down a *little* more when I get my Pibbs though.:grin:

KathyMay

I feel like I am bunning or pinning up my hair forever when I dont have it braided up. Sometimes I go through "hair depression"

MizAvalon

I feel like I am bunning or pinning up my hair forever when I dont have it braided up. Sometimes I go through "hair depression"

I've been feeling like that a lot this summer. Rarely showing off my progress gets me down sometimes, that's why I'm about to start wearing my hair down a little more.

sugarose

6 months straight...my ends are very healthy and I retained a lot of length. I back to bunning for another 6 months (until Christmas).

Sistaslick

I wore buns since day 1 of my hair journey-- June 2004. Years. The bunning helped me tremendously with length, but it hurt me as well. I noticed that bunning-- even loose bunning was thinning my hair in the low crown (under the holder) and my edges as well. Wet bunning was the worst. My hair pins were also causing me breakage. So after much debate, I stopped the 24/7 bunning to rebuild those weak areas again. I've also stopped relaxing in the mean time. My last relaxer was in May and I don't plan to relax until I see considerable improvement in these areas. The problems are not too visible, since I have alot of hair to mask it, but it is there-- and it is depressing. :crying3:

Now I am concentrating on more free movement styles like rollersets, spirals, rods, and braidouts. Basically tension free, low manipulation styles. This is working much better for me. :yep: Plus I look cuter. :lachen:

Neroli

I wore buns since day 1 of my hair journey-- June 2004. Years. The bunning helped me tremendously with length, but it hurt me as well. I noticed that bunning-- even loose bunning was thinning my hair in the low crown (under the holder) and my edges as well. Wet bunning was the worst. My hair pins were also causing me breakage. So after much debate, I stopped the 24/7 bunning to rebuild those weak areas again. I've also stopped relaxing in the mean time. My last relaxer was in May and I don't plan to relax until I see considerable improvement in these areas. The problems are not too visible, since I have alot of hair to mask it, but it is there-- and it is depressing. :crying3:

Now I am concentrating on more free movement styles like rollersets, spirals, rods, and braidouts. Basically tension free, low manipulation styles. This is working much better for me. :yep: Plus I look cuter. :lachen:

ITA. That is why important to change up from week to week or wash to wash. I never even TRIED the wet bun thang cuz I knew that didn't sound good for me. But I would bun low back one week, then bun to left next week, then bun to the right, (sounds like square dancing!), then do one single braid down the back, then part in midde and do single braids on each side with natural hair one week, then do cornrows one week, etc. to rotate the different "pressure" points. I don't think bunning exclusively in same position is good, at least not after reading all the posts about bunning. I decided to change things up . . .

SouthernTease

I think I want to stop once I'm done transitioning.
But, I have become very paranoid about my
ends being exposed, so bunning/pinups...
might be a lifestyle change for me
or maybe until I reach my ultimate goal
BSL & 100% natural.

Sistaslick

ITA. That is why important to change up from week to week or wash to wash. I never even TRIED the wet bun thang cuz I knew that didn't sound good for me. But I would bun low back one week, then bun to left next week, then bun to the right, (sounds like square dancing!), then do one single braid down the back, then part in midde and do single braids on each side with natural hair one week, then do cornrows one week, etc. to rotate the different "pressure" points. I don't think bunning exclusively in same position is good, at least not after reading all the posts about bunning. I decided to change things up . . .

Yes ma'am! You have to change it up from time to time. :lachen: And it wasn't so much the bun positioning/clips themselves, because I was "square dancing" moving it all alround:lachen: it was just having it pulled back every single day that put tension on the edges which were already beat up from years and years of slicking and brushing with that blue magic and brown gel. :lachen:

vandidix

I've been bunning all summer - since May - and its definitely helped me retain length. I recently became concerned that my edges might start to suffer. I haven't seen any damage, but I'd like to be preventive. I'm thinking about maybe bunning 3-4 days a week, then wearing my hair out/down the other days.

Neroli

Yes ma'am! You have to change it up from time to time. :lachen: And it wasn't so much the bun positioning/clips themselves, because I was "square dancing" moving it all alround:lachen: it was just having it pulled back every single day that put tension on the edges which were already beat up from years and years of slicking and brushing with that blue magic and brown gel. :lachen:

Square dancing, Sista :lachen:

Lavendar

I've been bunning since I started...Jan 06. It helped me reach hair lengths longer than I've ever had and longer than I thought possible for me.

newflowers

I have a question that may seem really obvious to you ladies as i feel as if I've missed the point... BUT...

When one is bunning as a protective style, to prevent the edges from getting thin, can one not just make the bun a bit looser so that the edges are not tightly pulled?

I know that you ladies have thought of and do this already, but I do not undertand why edges can be weakened if the bun is looser.

Sistaslick

I have a question that may seem really obvious to you ladies as i feel as if I've missed the point... BUT...

When one is bunning as a protective style, to prevent the edges from getting thin, can one not just make the bun a bit looser so that the edges are not tightly pulled?

I know that you ladies have thought of and do this already, but I do not undertand why edges can be weakened if the bun is looser.

Well for me, my buns were always pretty loose, and only tightened up once I started getting pretty far post relaxer. :ohwell: After awhile, my hair just wouldn't look "neat" or "done." The back would be cute, but the front was not unless it was laid back with a bit of tension.-- and it only looked right the day after a wash. I couldn't get with the fuzzy halo look, so I would tighten it up a bit more post relaxer. Not too tight obviously, but enough to look presentable. I did it for a lonnnnnnnng time with no immediate effects, but it caught up with me.:ohwell: My right temple/side in particular took the biggest hit while the left is totally fine.

My edges were already fairly delicate from my pre-hair care days, so even what I considered "loose, low tension" still turned out to be too much for me-- day after day after day. Despite my best efforts it was just too stressful on my hairline and area under the holder over time. And my year or two of wet bunning really aggravated the issue. :ohwell: I tried wearing "sweeps" to keep the hairline from being pulled into the bun with any level of tension--- but it's HOT down here man. My forehead would be sweatin' :lachen:

So, I put in my time and I got awesome results! Bunning really does work. :yep: But I have to be honest also and say that I got some unfavorable results over time as well which have led me to search out other protective styling options.

Puddles

On Cloud 9
[size=+1] I bunned for an entire year when I first joined LHCF and I retained 8 inces.

Since starting over.....I'm bunning for a year again. Or until I reach brastrap....whatever comes first.
[/size]

Lady Esquire

From Feb-May 2005, I started transitioning in braids.
From May-Aug 05, I started cutting the relaxed hair and wore a wig.
In Aug 05, I BC'd, down to 1 inch of hair, and continued wearing the wig.
In Feb 06, I relaxed after one year of being natural.
In May 06, my hair grew long enough for a bun, and I've been doing so since.

Bunning helps protect my ends, thicken my hair overall, and retain length. I may continue to do so, until I get to BSL, or when I reenter the workforce, whichever comes first.

ETA: Sometimes I feel the bunning causing too much tension on certain strands, no matter how loose the bun is. Also I think it leads to chewed up ends over time, cause the ends are tucked in - in close quarters scrunched up against each other. When my hair gets longer, I will wear my rollersets out more...and eventually phase out the bun. Right now it is a means to an end.

Last edited:

Neroli

I never had any problems with my edges bunning and I did exactly what you're talking about -- always loose buns, no stretching or pulling! I just smooth hair with hands, twist into bun and secure with hairsticks. No scruchies, no ponytail holders, no hair pins, no gels, no brush.

I use wide tooth comb to smooth, not comb, but smooth hair into bun, then a bit of oil and water and hands. Even when I have a lot of new growth, I don't try to make them "lay down" I just do the best I can and then embrace my new growth. Its not as sleek looking, but its neat, clean and elegant. I don't mind that "halo" of new growth. LOL!

I have a bunch of super smooth, beautiful hairsticks that I purchased to perk up my protective styles. They're like magical hair fantasies and makes bunning kinda fun.

I did the square dancing around with my buns to avoid breakage at the point where I twist into bun (or the point where the pony holder would go). I THINK that spot may become a bit weakened from being twisted (or scrunchied) all the time. This did not happen to me, but it just seemed like could and made sense to switch around. Also, fun to change . . .

TLC1020

I don't think bunning/pinups are ncessary b/c there are success stories, however I do believe they are helpful..
I've been bunning on and off for over a year and it has helped me retain more length than wrapping ever did.. I wear my hair down for a few weeks after my touch-up then about 5th or 6th week I go back to bunning & moisturizing..

I have learned so much on LCHF... YOU LADIES ROCK :woot:

Sistaslick

I have a bunch of super smooth, beautiful hairsticks that I purchased to perk up my protective styles. They're like magical hair fantasies and makes bunning kinda fun.

Okay, when chopsticks become magical hair fantasies, you know you're LHCF addicted.:lachen::lachen::lachen:

SouthernTease

I try not to comb when i do my pin-ups
that way it isn't to much stress on the edges
I just gently pull it back with my hands
that way it isn't so tight...
I do wet pinups since I cowash daily...
but I find that if i use a scarf right out
of the shower... it's as smooth as if I had used
a comb and brush to style it.

MzOptimistic

How long did you HIDE YOUR HAIR
using bunning/pinup styles?

How did it benefit you?

I have worn my hair bunned/baggied since Dec 2005 and doing this is the best thing I could have done for my hair. I'm 2 inches from bs:grin: not to mention ADDICTED to keeping my hair hidden:yep:

newflowers

I have worn my hair bunned/baggied since Dec 2005 and doing this is the best thing I could have done for my hair. I'm 2 inches from bs:grin: not to mention ADDICTED to keeping my hair hidden:yep:

And pushing that addiction:grin: I wore my hair down for Dh's birthday, and could hardly wait to get it back up. :yep:I could hear you saying - protect those ends, hair up, and other big sis wear your hair up advice. I had my hair up before I cleaned up from the party. :lachen::lachen::lachen: