Caruso Rollers 101

dillard

I bought this, I used it... my hair was a disaster... How exactly do you use your Caruso rollers? Do you put moisterizer in your hair first? I've seen members like Michelle and Serenity use this with stunning results. My hair ended up puffy and greasy looking?! I steamed them about 10 seconds, then steamed the cover, then let them dry about 30 min. Most of them weren't fully dried yet...even though the directions say 15 minutes...

NeeSee

Thanks for posting this question. I got these Friday and I am trying to understand just how to use them also.

Glib Gurl

I used mine for the first time on Sunday. The results were okay (but I attribute that mostly to the overall condition of my hair, not the curlers themselves). I didn't use any moisturizer beforehand, but they didn't look particularly dry or moist. Also, I used end papers to protect my hair from the foam curlers. These worked great. Overall, my hair looked the same it would have looked as if I had rolled it overnight -- except this only took about 30 minutes :D

Sorry. This is not probably very helpful. What was the condition of your hair before using the rollers? I had just washed mine the day before . . . .

Katt73

Definitely don't steam the covers...it takes forever for my hair to dry when I do that.

I place my roller onto the steamer. Then I section my hair and smooth a tiny a bit of Elasta QP on my ends. I then get my endpaper ready. By the time I do that, the roller is ready (about 10 seconds). I shake the excess moisture out of the roller before using it (that's very important for me to have good results!) I leave them in for about 30 minutes and I'm good to go. If they are slightly damp, I let the curls airdry before combing.

Practice...you will grow to LOVE them! Good luck!

Daisimae

I don't use the covers at all. I secure the roller with the little pointed clips that came with the set. I get a much better set this way. The covers help my hair hold too much moisture, so it won't hold a curl.

I put the rollers in first then do my make-up. By the time I'm finished the rollers and my hair are dry. I remove the rollers comb my hair and go.

**WonderWoman**

Definitely don't steam the covers...it takes forever for my hair to dry when I do that.

I place my roller onto the steamer. Then I section my hair and smooth a tiny a bit of Elasta QP on my ends. I then get my endpaper ready. By the time I do that, the roller is ready (about 10 seconds). I shake the excess moisture out of the roller before using it (that's very important for me to have good results!) I leave them in for about 30 minutes and I'm good to go. If they are slightly damp, I let the curls airdry before combing.

What's "end paper"? Where can I get some? :confused:

You can get end papers (very thin square sheets of paper) from your local BSS for about 2 bucks. They really reduce frizzing. Also, you may want to reduce the time you keep the curler on the steamer. I would suggest 30 seconds. Lastly, depending on what kind of moisturizer your use, it may make your curls limp or absorb too much moisture from the steamer. S-Curl is an example, your hair will not be able to allow the steam to evaporate if you use it first. So try limiting these types of moisturizers prior to using the Caruso. A light oil would probably work best. Good Luck! Once you get the hang of them, you will wonder where have they been all your life!

myoung

You can get end papers (very thin square sheets of paper) from your local BSS for about 2 bucks. They really reduce frizzing. Also, you may want to reduce the time you keep the curler on the steamer. I would suggest 30 seconds. Lastly, depending on what kind of moisturizer your use, it may make your curls limp or absorb too much moisture from the steamer. S-Curl is an example, your hair will not be able to allow the steam to evaporate if you use it first. So try limiting these types of moisturizers prior to using the Caruso. A light oil would probably work best. Good Luck! Once you get the hang of them, you will wonder where have they been all your life!

I only keep my roller on the steamer about 8 seconds (Thanks Marie170) and it works perfectly.....

adf23

I love my Carusos as well.

I steam each roller for about 6-8 seconds, shake the excess moisture off.

I use end papers, but prob not in the way alot of gals use them- after i steam the roller, I wrap the end paper around the roller.

I start off with using the covers- I leave them on for about 10 minutes. After that, I remove the covers, and clip the rollers to my head. Usually after about 15 more minutes, they are dry.

I airdry my hair, then use the Carusos. It really works out- at times I have to flat iron my roots (like now, since I am 4 months into transitioning).

Katt73

I also fold the end paper in 1/2 and slip it over my ends almost like an envelope or folder. That way, both "sides" of my ends are covered. Then I roll it normally.

Sistaslick

Anybody interested in buying a new in the box Caruso roller kit (30 something rollers) hit a sista up via pm. Highest offer can have it. :lol: Maybe I need to be in the exchange forum for this one :lachen:

***SOLD***

Last edited:

Mocha5

Until, I PMed Serenity, I was getting just ok results too. But I finally got the hang of it and I LOVE THEM. They work better than a curling iron in my opinion.

Here's my two cents:

1. Use some kind of moisturizer to give you a sheen. I will use whatever but more recently Mango Butter

2. Don't steam cover

3. Leave roller on steamer for about 10 seconds. If your hair is as long as Serenity's then leave them on a little longer.

4. Don't fill steamer up above the indicated water line.

5. Shake/Flick roller after taking it off of steamer just in case there's excess water on them.

I too have been using my Caruso on air dried hair. Sometimes I blow my roots beforehand. Got me one of them Domincan brushes the other day...:grin: luvs it!!!

Mizani_Mrs

i did the same exact thing the first time i used carusos. i moisturized my hair and put a setting lotion in it. the bottom line is it wont work, cause your hair must be totally dry in order for it to set/dry so quickly. U can lightly moisturize your hair with a dab if you choose, but your hair must be totally dry before u roll it up. and steaming the cover is so not necessary. Its very simple. i steam the roller for maybe 10secs then i just slap the roller in my head. I use probably 8 rollers, and it take about 5mins to roll my whole head. I then wrap my head in a towel...hop in the shower, then finish getting dressed. and then i take the rollers out and shake the curls out. i get fluffy soft beautiful curls every time.

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

I do the same. Except I use beeswax or shea butter or a light oil. I really need to buy some endpapers 'cause it will smooth it out more. The main thing is to not let them to have excess water.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I love my caruso's:D!!! It's the only way that I'm able to rollerset my hair w/o breakage. I moisturize my ends before using them w/ either Sunsilk or Cantu Shea Butter. I haven't gotten the hang of the end papers, but the rollers work great w/o them. As a plus, I add Infusium Leave-In to my steam water before turning the unit on. My hair comes out full of body, a little more moisturized and full of shine! I have pics of my Caruso set in my Fotki, if you need examples.

ETA: I put the bigger rollers on the steamer for about 8-10 seconds, the smaller ones for 5-7 seconds. I also steam the covers as well.

dillard

oooooooh, ok. i was doing it all wrong then. i can't wait to try it out the "right" way. what a great idea to put some leave-in in the steam water, i'm gonna do that qtslim!! also, i gotta get some end paper, because yeah, my ends were jacked up. ok... this is gonna be great, because i can't keep up the regular rollersetting anymore. my arms hurt now and it just takes me so long. thanx ladies!! :)

Bosslady1

I moisturize my ends with mango butter then I steam my caruso curler, in the meantime, I lightly soak 1-2 end papers (depending on how big the curler is) in olive oil and wrap them around the curler then put the curler around my hair. I leave it on for 30 mins and then take them out. I then use the formation of the curl and wrap it into a pincurl, I do my entire head this way. I place my satin bonnet on my head and go to sleep. In the morning, I take the pins out of my pincurls, wrap my hair while I get ready then unwrap my hair when it is time to go. I get that silk wrap effect...:love: it.

Katt73

I moisturize my ends with mango butter then I steam my caruso curler, in the meantime, I lightly soak 1-2 end papers (depending on how big the curler is) in olive oil and wrap them around the curler then put the curler around my hair. I leave it on for 30 mins and then take them out. I then use the formation of the curl and wrap it into a pincurl, I do my entire head this way. I place my satin bonnet on my head and go to sleep. In the morning, I take the pins out of my pincurls, wrap my hair while I get ready then unwrap my hair when it is time to go. I get that silk wrap effect...:love: it.

Tonight's wash night...I am SO going to try that! Thanks, Bosslady!

Cien

Pink is my signature color
I bought these rollers a few months ago after seeing Michelle3417's hair--which had been beautifully set with Caruso's.

However, I tried it also--and being that my hair is texlaxed, it came a big ole poofy mess!!! :confused:

Anyone else with texlaxed hair use Caruso rollers?!!

I may have to get rid of mine also..... :ohwell: Either that, or try some of these tips that you ladies have mentioned....

MissScarlett

Until, I PMed Serenity, I was getting just ok results too. But I finally got the hang of it and I LOVE THEM. They work better than a curling iron in my opinion.

Here's my two cents:

1. Use some kind of moisturizer to give you a sheen. I will use whatever but more recently Mango Butter

2. Don't steam cover

3. Leave roller on steamer for about 10 seconds. If your hair is as long as Serenity's then leave them on a little longer.

4. Don't fill steamer up above the indicated water line.

5. Shake/Flick roller after taking it off of steamer just in case there's excess water on them.

I too have been using my Caruso on air dried hair. Sometimes I blow my roots beforehand. Got me one of them Domincan brushes the other day...:grin: luvs it!!!

what kind is it? I need a better brush for my blowouts

R

Reslnt1

i can't find the part mentioned below

I love my caruso's:D!!! It's the only way that I'm able to rollerset my hair w/o breakage. I moisturize my ends before using them w/ either Sunsilk or Cantu Shea Butter. I haven't gotten the hang of the end papers, but the rollers work great w/o them. As a plus, I add Infusium Leave-In to my steam water before turning the unit on. My hair comes out full of body, a little more moisturized and full of shine! I have pics of my Caruso set in my Fotki, if you need examples.

ETA: I put the bigger rollers on the steamer for about 8-10 seconds, the smaller ones for 5-7 seconds. I also steam the covers as well.

scorpian

I bought these rollers a few months ago after seeing Michelle3417's hair--which had been beautifully set with Caruso's.

However, I tried it also--and being that my hair is texlaxed, it came a big ole poofy mess!!! :confused:

Anyone else with texlaxed hair use Caruso rollers?!!

I may have to get rid of mine also..... :ohwell: Either that, or try some of these tips that you ladies have mentioned....

bumping...I wanna know too