My hair is super soft, but . . . .

Glib Gurl

Thanks to all of the extra conditioning I've been doing, my hair is super soft these days. It feels wonderful! However, it doesn't *look* wonderful . . . it's become a little more difficult to style . . . it won't hold a tight curl (and given my extreme thickness and comparatively short length -- just above my shoulders) there's not too much I can do with it.

Does anyone else face this problem? Any suggestions for styling?

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Ever since I colored with Bigen my hair feels the same way. Its great in a sense, but I'd like a little firmer curl. Recs needed!

HERicane10

Have you tried flexi rods? They usually give a fairly tighter curl than magnetic rollers depending on the size.

gorgeoushair

I've noticed this too since I've been "baggying" overnight. My braidouts seem to not last 30 min. What exactly are you all doing to contribute to the extra moisture and softness?

I would say washing and conditioning may solve the problem(or at least mine) and a little protein.

Glib Gurl

HERicane10 said:
Have you tried flexi rods? They usually give a fairly tighter curl than magnetic rollers depending on the size.

I use those occasionally (they're kinda uncomfortable to sleep on). I will try again and see!

Glib Gurl

@GorgeousHair - Actually it's the extra washing that I'm doing that is making the difference -- I'm washing (and conditioning) about 2x per week now (up from maybe once every other week). Also, I'm using more olive oil and hair growth products (BT and another one I got from Walgreens - can't remember the name).

Aveena

My hair is the same way. Wonderful and soft. The only way I can hold a curl is if I flexi rod wet hair with setting lotion. at 7 weeks post relaxer my hair is wonderfully moisturized and very puffy but nice at the same time. I'd like to see how to get it to hold a curl too.

Divine Inspiration

Do your ends need to be trimmed? Sometimes split/damaged/old ends don't hold a curl as well.

I agree with the poster who suggested a little protein...your hair may be overmoisturized and too limp to hold the curl. Protein would make it a little "sturdier" :lol:

Do you use any styling aids? Maybe you could try a pomade, a styling spray or something similar to add a soft hold.

neenee280

Divine Inspiration said:
Do your ends need to be trimmed? Sometimes split/damaged/old ends don't hold a curl as well.

I agree with the poster who suggested a little protein...your hair may be overmoisturized and too limp to hold the curl. Protein would make it a little "sturdier" :lol:

Do you use any styling aids? Maybe you could try a pomade, a styling spray or something similar to add a soft hold.

I agree with Divine. I co-wash 2x's a week and I hold a curl better but when I was washing with shampoo my curls seem to be a bit limp. The protein seems to give my hair more body and more sturdiness.

Glib Gurl

Protein you say . . . any product recommendations? (Because, that's exactly what I need, more products :lol: )

neenee280

Glib Gurl said:
Protein you say . . . any product recommendations? (Because, that's exactly what I need, more products :lol: )

I got the Pratial Silk Worm this weekend. I looked at the label and it does have Silk Protein in it. First I did a roller set on Saturday and my curls lasted really well. I would even say the longest ever and I only pincurled once. Tonight, I had to do a "wash and go" after doing major house work. Washed with shampoo - silicon mix, used the silk worm and left it in for 5 min and then used my 12 en 1 rinse. My hair felt sooooo silky. Twist setting it now so I hope the set lasts until saturday but I am sure it will!

HoneyDew

Divine Inspiration said:

DI. you are so right. My hair has been kinda limp this week. I did a protein treatment last night - not only did my rollerset come out curlier, but I think I am going to be able to stretch my relaxer for a few more weeks. I was going to relax this Sunday, but after last nights treatment and how well my hair is "behaving" I am not going to relax after all. You do know hair, girl! :)

Aveena

I just did a leave-in protien treatment last night and my hair seems so much stronger. I think I was a tad bit over moisturized (just a tad) protein helped.

I did protein treatments before LHCF and ended up with hard hair. I never thought I could have a problem with too much moisture. But now that I know my "moisture threshold" I'll cut back and try to extend the DC to find that balance.

I think my hair can hold a curl now. :)

Divine Inspiration

HoneyDew said:
DI. you are so right. My hair has been kinda limp this week. I did a protein treatment last night - not only did my rollerset come out curlier, but I think I am going to be able to stretch my relaxer for a few more weeks. I was going to relax this Sunday, but after last nights treatment and how well my hair is "behaving" I am not going to relax after all. You do know hair, girl! :)

Thanks girl :)

GG, I'm a huge fan of Nexxus Keraphix. I recently purchased Enphuse, but I haven't used it.

I recommend mixing Keraphix with a moistuizing con (Humectress/Humectin), adding a little oil (amla, EVOO, castor, whichever) and DCing for 30 minutes.