Soft Hair = Moisture

beans4reezy

I have found a wonderful moisturizer that makes my hair butter soft (Hyrdatherma Naturals Growth Lotion). I am 8 months post so its been a challenge to find a moisturizer this good. While it makes my hair super soft and touchable, my hair still looks dull:ohwell:. Is my hair truly moisturized if there is no "shine?" Or, can soft hair equal moisture? Your thoughts ladies? TIA! :grin:

My hair can be mositurized without the shine. It depends on the product. Some of my moisturizers do coat and can make my hair look dull over time, but still soft and moisturized.

I keep my moisturizers in rotation because they work for me.

I notice ACV and warm distilled rinses (2:6 ratio, respectfully) help get my shine back.

I have found a wonderful moisturizer that makes my hair butter soft (Hyrdatherma Naturals Growth Lotion). I am 8 months post so its been a challenge to find a moisturizer this good. While it makes my hair super soft and touchable, my hair still looks dull:ohwell:. Is my hair truly moisturized if there is no "shine?" Or, can soft hair equal moisture? Your thoughts ladies? TIA! :grin:

I think so. if your hair is not shining then I believe you need to do something to your hair to smooth the cuticles, like maybe a polymetric treatment. Or do a search on smoothing cuticles.

if your hair is not shining then I believe you need to do something to your hair to smooth the cuticles, like maybe a polymetric treatment. Or do a search on smoothing cuticles.

I just purchased a bottle of porosity control to use on a weekly basis now...would this help in smoothing cuticles?

I think so. if your hair is not shining then I believe you need to do something to your hair to smooth the cuticles, like maybe a polymetric treatment. Or do a search on smoothing cuticles.

What is a polymetric treatment?

My hair hardly shines...but is soft and moisturized as far as I'm concerned. Funny,...I've never been big on shine. It's nice when you see it, but I don't think I've ever gone out of my way to get it.

What is a polymetric treatment?

It is polymeric and here is a quick and dirty explanation:

Combinations of polymer compounds and hair treatment compositions containing them are described, which have improved film-forming properties and improved hair-fixing properties, particularly increased elasticity of the polymer film or the treated hair. The polymer compound combinations include at least one terpolymer of vinyl pyrrolidone, vinyl caprolactam and basic acryl amide monomer and at least one anionic or anionizable polymer with anionic or anionizable groups.​
I found that in the U.S. Patent 6475475 info.

Nexxus Emergencee always comes to mind when I hear polymeric.

My hair hardly shines...but is soft and moisturized as far as I'm concerned. Funny,...I've never been big on shine. It's nice when you see it, but I don't think I've ever gone out of my way to get it.

So Nonie, what you are saying that shine is not as important and is NOT an indicator of moisturized hair? Phhhhew!! I thought that moisturized hair meant shiny hair...I think I had it all wrong!

In short: as long as my hair is soft and feels moist...I wont sweat the shine!

My hair doesn't really shine too much in its curly/natural state. When its moisturized it feels soft to the touch. I can just tell the difference. When its not moisturized its a frizzy mess LOL

Don't you love the smell of that Growth Lotion? OMG it smells divine

I thought afro hair does not (naturally) shine but it has sheen? This would be true for relaxed afro hair as well.

Yay, I ordered the growth lotion last week! Glad to hear good things about it.

About polymeric treatments, I think this product by Mizani is one ----->
15167f.jpg

my hair can fel moisturised without the shine unless if i use coconut oil to seal that gives me a lot of shine as opposed to when i seal with evoo

i dont think soft hair = moisturized hair at all. there are times when my hair feels really silky but its not moisturized and i can tell. it can feel silky soft and even look dry so the two dont always mean the same.

I find that aloe vera juice and glycerine moisturize my hair AND make it shiny -- but I agree that shiny doesn't necessarily equal moisturized.

Think of products like hair grease, Pink Oil moisturizer and oil sheen. (no offense to anyone that uses these) They make the hair look shiny and moisturized, but alone none of them really add moisture to the hair.

i dont think soft hair = moisturized hair at all. there are times when my hair feels really silky but its not moisturized and i can tell. it can feel silky soft and even look dry so the two dont always mean the same.

I don't think "silky" and "soft" are the same thing....I like of soft like fluffy, and silky might feel slick, but hard if that makes any sense, but I don't think they're mutually exclusive.

I don't think "silky" and "soft" are the same thing....I like of soft like fluffy, and silky might feel slick, but hard if that makes any sense, but I don't think they're mutually exclusive.

I agree. If hair is moisturized well on the inside, it can't help but be soft whether or not it's silky. If I coated my hair--which is usually bare--with an oil, it might feel silky but that's not because it just got moisturized. The outside coating made it slippery and smooth but it only feels soft as well because it was already moisturized. If on the other hand my hair was hard and dry and then I applied the same oil, it'd be shiny but still hard and dry and thirsty as heck.

Great input ladies! I kept getting discouraged, because I didn't see any shine, though my hair feels sooooo soft! Shine is nice to have, but not a necessity.

Back