Any 4b's Stretch Longer Than 8 Weeks?

LocksOfLuV

Can ya help a sista out with some tips? Recommendations? Products?

First I should tell you ladies that I don't use heat that often, so heat isn't an option for me, neither is rollersetting since I wear protective styles/baggie. I am on week 6 and I think I want to give stretching another go. I am really determined to stretch because when I did stretch, even thought it was hard, my hair got so much thicker.

4bs (or people who have 4b sections) What do you do to make your stretch easier?

Babygurl

I usually stretch 12-18 weeks and one thing I had to learn quickly was detangle, detangle, detangle...if you dont you may end up with a big matted mess, I always make sure to detangle my hair (detangling shampoo is key for me) when Im stretching to avoid any mishaps. Other tips I have for stretching are:
-low manipulation (I wear buns so its easy for me)
-moisture, my ends get REALLY dry when Im stretching so I try to keep my ends moisturized usually with somethin water based, sealed with oil
-softening new growth, S-curl, Pantene Hydrating Curls, CD Hair Milk, QP Mango Butter, and Kids Organics Shea moisturizer really helped soften my new growth and make it more manageable, so I can brush it or comb through it with no problems.
-My new love is Fantasia IC gel, really defines the curl pattern and keeps frizz and hairline in check all day!

Last edited:

leleepop

15 weeks post checking in. In adition to what Babygurl says. I notice that as my hair gets further post I cant used a heavy protein. I detangle in sections under they water and softenend w/conditioner. I like Queen Helene Cholesterol. Acv rinses help also. They tend to work better after I condition and then I run a conditioner through and rinse. hth

e$h

Well I'm on week 22 (as of Wednesday) but I plan on touchin up sometime this week. Like Babygurl said, detangle is key. Before this board, I always waited 3 months before my next relaxer because I was always told to wait that long. But now, I'm stretching to 4 months and beyond. Good detangling shampoos and conditioners help majorly. After week 15 hit, I had to bun it day in and day out. My newgrowth was/is off the chain. When I hit week 19, I realized that I had to use heat more often if I wanted to look descent. I don't think I'll be stretching past 20 weeks anymore because I'm trying to avoid heat usage.
All that being said, co-washes helped out alot. Moisturizing daily and bunning 24/7.

HHG!

Isis

I do. :wave: It's always at least 13 weeks and up to 16 weeks (17 weeks once). It's easy with a good detangler. I was using Headress Leave-in and now I'm enjoying Giovanni Direct Leave-in for detangling and conditioning.:)

Radianthealth

I am straight up 4B I stretch for 14-16 weeks. I make sure to keep my hair moisturized. I use S-Curl and Kids Organics moisturizer on my new growth. I wash twice per week and condition. Towards the end I use protective styles like my afro phony pony and a fall.

Good Luck!

CAPlush

What are you having trouble with, managing your hair or breakage??? I have successfully stretched 10 weeks with very tight 4a/4b (some ladies around here call it 4zzzzz type:D . There are a few things that I think helped. The first is to use an Aphogee protein treatment when breakage starts around 7-8 weeks. I also use oils to soften my new growth (Hot 6 and WGO) when I finally figured out that the watery moisturizers weren't going to work. I also don't bother combing unless I am in the shower under the stream of water to detangle.

LocksOfLuV

Babygurl said:
I usually stretch 12-18 weeks and one thing I had to learn quickly was detangle, detangle, detangle...if you dont you may end up with a big matted mess, I always make sure to detangle my hair (detangling shampoo is key for me) when Im stretching to avoid any mishaps. Other tips I have for stretching are:
-low manipulation (I wear buns so its easy for me)
-moisture, my ends get REALLY dry when Im stretching so I try to keep my ends moisturized usually with somethin water based, sealed with oil
-softening new growth, S-curl, Pantene Hydrating Curls, CD Hair Milk, QP Mango Butter, and Kids Organics Shea moisturizer really helped soften my new growth and make it more manageable, so I can brush it or comb through it with no problems.
-My new love is Fantasia IC gel, really defines the curl pattern and keeps frizz and hairline in check all day!

SO, one thing that everyone keeps saying is detangling poos and conditioners, check. Got that. S-curl, on the roots. I may have to add this to my newgrowth. I got some but I only add it to the newgrowth when deep conditioning. How often to you use the s-curl ont he newgrowth?

Isis, I got some Giovanni leave in (Thanks LynnieB) in the mail today. I can't wait to try it. I heard nothing but good things about it.

What I need to go get is more of my biolage leave-in spray..

LocksOfLuV

CAPlush said:
What are you having trouble with, managing your hair or breakage??? I have successfully stretched 10 weeks with very tight 4a/4b (some ladies around here call it 4zzzzz type:D . There are a few things that I think helped. The first is to use an Aphogee protein treatment when breakage starts around 7-8 weeks. I also use oils to soften my new growth (Hot 6 and WGO) when I finally figured out that the watery moisturizers weren't going to work. I also don't bother combing unless I am in the shower under the stream of water to detangle.

No, not breakage, it's just that after week 8 my hair gets really tangly and it seems like nothing works. I think I will try doubling up on the oil when I deep condition and combing in sections. I just really want to do this.

How long do yall recommend, 4bs stretch?

rdm

Almost daily co washes in the shower
bunning
Sta Soft Fro on the roots.

I can only go 8 weeks. Anything past that would be a disaster.

Babygurl

LocksOfLuV said:
SO, one thing that everyone keeps saying is detangling poos and conditioners, check. Got that. S-curl, on the roots. I may have to add this to my newgrowth. I got some but I only add it to the newgrowth when deep conditioning. How often to you use the s-curl ont he newgrowth?

Isis, I got some Giovanni leave in (Thanks LynnieB) in the mail today. I can't wait to try it. I heard nothing but good things about it.

What I need to go get is more of my biolage leave-in spray..

When stretching I use S-curl whenever I wash my hair and I apply it daily pretty much.

sylver2

Right now I'm 14 weeks post.
I notice I definaetly have to spend longer in the shower detangling while wet in sections.. using more conditioner, then more leave in conditioner and more more moisturizer.
Twice a day I rub ntm silk touch throught my hair and especially roots and put satin scarf on for about 10mins b4 I leave out. That keeps it soft and flat.

janeemat

I'm 4b and so far I've only stretch 9 wks. I used tons of moisturizing cons and leave ins. I have to press my newgrowth with my T3 ceramic iron for nice shiney results starting around 6wks post. I plan to try for 12 wks during this hide your challenge. Babygurl are you 4b? Sure doesn't look like it.

SpiritJunkie

Great tips! I can only go as far as 9 weeks and that's pushing it with alll the tangle i get. I will try your suggestions next time with some patience and see how far i can go.

Locksofluv thanks for starting this thread.

sg

caribeandiva

Human being
It's too bad that you don't use heat or rollerset cause that's what helps me get to 11 weeks. i tried airdrying and my hair was such a tangled mess that i vowed never to do that again!

Candy1978

:) For me, I stretch 12-13 weeks at a time that;s as long as I can take it. To make it easier, I use Jam to smooth the edges down, and I use Shine on the new growth, because it makes it soft and manageble, and put my hair up in a mini bun. I'm going to start using that stuff the lady sales on Crown & Glory website, I think it's called Afro Detangler?? ( if anyone uses that let me know the results). I use my regular moisture regimine during my stretch and that's how I do it.

4a/b
Currently: SL (almost)
1st Goal: Full SL
2nd: APL end of 07
3rd Goal: Slightly Past BSL
http://www.fotki.com/Candy78

Don't Shop Asian BSS. Visit http://www.youtube.com/watch? Aron Ranen's Black Hair Documentery to see the Monopoly that Asian BSS Owners are creating to purposely :eek: :mad: shut Black Business Owners out of the MULTI BILLION $$$ Black Hair Care Industry. Then visit http://BOBSA.org to get info on how you can actively help keep this lucrative business in the Black Community......:) :) :)

Candy1978

caribeandiva said:
It's too bad that you don't use heat or rollerset cause that's what helps me get to 11 weeks. i tried airdrying and my hair was such a tangled mess that i vowed never to do that again!

Do you use anything to detangle your hair while your airdrying? I use Shine that stuff in the shiny black jar, with the pink lid, and put that in my hair after I wash or CO-Wash so that when I'm done airdrying my hair is super soft and detangled I can literally comb my hair with my fingers afterwards even when I'm like 11-12 weeks post relaxer. I am not an advocate of using heat at all, matter of fact I haven't used heat on my hair on 7 months. Rollerstting however is a grat idea cause it's not direct heat, but I only think that should be done like once a week....as always this is my opinion

crlsweetie912

I stretch about 12 weeks, I am shooting for more. I do protective styles too Locks, but I rollerset for a curly look for church, then brush out curls and moisturize and go back to the bun for the rest of the week. I could not live without my Lacio (it takes my tangles straight out!), Motions Moisture plus and my scarf. I can tame any NG hell with those things!!!! At the end of the day I take down my bun, moisturize, apply my oils to seal and put the baggie on and tie up with a scarf for the night.

I swear by Motions! Tangles run away!

aurora3140

I can easily stretch to 10 weeks, but I'm not a baggy-girl, nor am I a consistent bunner. One of the things my ex-step-mother told me (she had really long, thick hair) was that straight hair likes to stay straight and curly hair likes to stay curly. I've found that for me, this is true. Since I relax, I try to keep my hair straight with roller-setting. This also keeps my new-growth smooth. I run into more problems air-drying and bunning than when it is straight. I guess if I tried combing less I would be able to bun more consistently, but I also think stretching would be more difficult because of my new-growth.

You could roller-set and air-dry, but since your hair is so long, the drying time would probably be a hassle.

deltagyrl

I am currently stretching for 16 weeks and I tell ya, it ain't been no crystal stair!:lol:
I don't bun and when I sweat my NG gets very angry w/ me. I usually rollerset and call it a day. I only detangle in the shower and my Nacidit rinse works wonderfully for that. I've given up on trying to make my edges/ng behave once they poof up.......
I don't think anything can make that stuff lie down BUT a perm.:ohwell:

Last edited:

nycutiepie

I'm glad you posted this because I'm a 4a/b and I stretched to 12 1/2 weeks the last time. I don't comb my hair except for wash days and daily moisturizing/sealing was fine but I encountered the most trouble while washing my hair. I took Lonei's suggestion of washing my hair in braids and it worked. My hair is fine and not thick but it's armpit and the ends started to get tangled while washing after week 8. I lost a TON of hair :mad: during my week 9 wash and detangling was hell even though I had the full arsenal of s-curl, giovani, etc. After that fiasco I decided to detangle my hair with my hands and a large comb BEFORE I washed (I didn't comb through the roots) in about 6 braids with diluted CON shampoo (the one with the green writing). That shampoo is the most detangling IMHO because I normally use Aveda or Elucence but they ain't have jack on that CON. The braids loosened up during the wash but it was all good because the sections were already formed. I also switched up my conditioner at that point and used Silicon Mix to deep condition. I applied the Silicon Mix and slightly detangeld and loosely rebraided it and sat under the dryer to deep condition. When I got back in the shower I combed the conditioner through under running water in sections and I also followed up with Elucence Conditioner kind of like a final rinse (I wasn't taking any chances). I still shed some hair but it was NOTHING like what happened during the prior wash. I also think the key to not getting tangles is to make sure you try to keep your hair hanging straight while washing but especially while detangling/washing the conditioner out. I believe this is especially important for anyone who has hair that hangs below the shoulders and down the back because that's such a far distance from the new growth and a person's head in general. The 4 a/b new growth coils up tight but there's still all that length remaining. Well, this is just my opinion and my experience but hopefully it can provide some assistance.

FunkyMunky

I am a 4a/4b. Right now I am 12 weeks post and I am definitely going for 16 but I believe I could go for 20. I just joined and started taking care of my hair in October. My hair was in terrible shape. I swear. I became so lazy from wearing half wigs that I was not taking care of my hair at all underneath. Sometimes I wouldn't wash my hair for weeks :eek: .

Since October my hair has done a 180. I wash 2 times per week and I always deep condition. About 2 weeks ago, I purchased Silicon Mixx and my hair became more manageable but the truth happened this past Saturday. Amla Oil!!!! I put that stuff on my scalp and hair overnight and I swear when I rinsed it out my hair felt like a new perm. I followed with a deep conditioner. No other prepoo I have done has been able to touch Amla Oil. My hair is pretty straight and the new growth is wavy like. I can't believe I am 12 weeks post.

I put Kemi Shea Butter on my hair daily and I seal with Wonder 8 Oil. I also take MSM so that could be helping. I part my hair down the middle into 2 ponytail sections and I get under the dryer for 10 mins or so then I take the ponytail holders out and get under for a little while longer. When it is almost dry I apply my moisturizers. I don't comb my hair except in the shower and I use a very very soft bristle brush to just get it to behave for my final ponytail/bun. I haven't roller set since 8 or 9 weeks because I'm just scared it won't turn out right.

Last edited:

LocksOfLuV

delta_gyrl said:
I am currently stretching for 16 weeks and I tell ya, it ain't been no crystal stair!:lol:
I don't bun and when I sweat my NG gets very angry w/ me. I usually rollerset and call it a day. I only detangle in the shower and my Nacidit rinse works wonderfully for that. I've given up on trying to make my edges/ng behave once they poof up....... I don't think anything can make that stuff lie down BUT a perm.:ohwell:

HELLO! Elasta QP glaze and all that don't have nothing on my edges. As long as they aren't sticking up I am cool with it. I leave all that stuff alone, because my hair will laught at it!:lol:

Crlsweetie you should like what I do, I got to try that lacio lacio!!!

LocksOfLuV

nycutiepie said:
I'm glad you posted this because I'm a 4a/b and I stretched to 12 1/2 weeks the last time. I don't comb my hair except for wash days and daily moisturizing/sealing was fine but I encountered the most trouble while washing my hair. I took Lonei's suggestion of washing my hair in braids and it worked. My hair is fine and not thick but it's armpit and the ends started to get tangled while washing after week 8. I lost a TON of hair :mad: during my week 9 wash and detangling was hell even though I had the full arsenal of s-curl, giovani, etc. After that fiasco I decided to detangle my hair with my hands and a large comb BEFORE I washed (I didn't comb through the roots) in about 6 braids with diluted CON shampoo (the one with the green writing). That shampoo is the most detangling IMHO because I normally use Aveda or Elucence but they ain't have jack on that CON. The braids loosened up during the wash but it was all good because the sections were already formed. I also switched up my conditioner at that point and used Silicon Mix to deep condition. I applied the Silicon Mix and slightly detangeld and loosely rebraided it and sat under the dryer to deep condition. When I got back in the shower I combed the conditioner through under running water in sections and I also followed up with Elucence Conditioner kind of like a final rinse (I wasn't taking any chances). I still shed some hair but it was NOTHING like what happened during the prior wash. I also think the key to not getting tangles is to make sure you try to keep your hair hanging straight while washing but especially while detangling/washing the conditioner out. I believe this is especially important for anyone who has hair that hangs below the shoulders and down the back because that's such a far distance from the new growth and a person's head in general. The 4 a/b new growth coils up tight but there's still all that length remaining. Well, this is just my opinion and my experience but hopefully it can provide some assistance.

You spoke the truth right here!! I have some silicon mix on the way-do you consider is detangling?

LocksOfLuV

auntysmoky said:
I am a 4a/4b. Right now I am 12 weeks post and I am definitely going for 16 but I believe I could go for 20. I just joined and started taking care of my hair in October. My hair was in terrible shape. I swear. I became so lazy from wearing half wigs that I was not taking care of my hair at all underneath. Sometimes I wouldn't wash my hair for weeks :eek: .

Since October my hair has done a 180. I wash 2 times per week and I always deep condition. About 2 weeks ago, I purchased Silicon Mixx and my hair became more manageable but the truth happened this past Saturday. Amla Oil!!!! I put that stuff on my scalp and hair overnight and I swear when I rinsed it out my hair felt like a new perm. I followed with a deep conditioner. No other prepoo I have done has been able to touch Amla Oil. My hair is pretty straight and the new growth is wavy like. I can't believe I am 12 weeks post.

I put Kemi Shea Butter on my hair daily and I seal with Wonder 8 Oil. I also take MSM so that could be helping. I part my hair down the middle into 2 ponytail sections and I get under the dryer for 10 mins or so then I take the ponytail holders out and get under for a little while longer. When it is almost dry I apply my moisturizers. I don't comb my hair except in the shower and I use a very very soft bristle brush to just get it to behave for my final ponytail/bun. I haven't roller set since 8 or 9 weeks because I'm just scared it won't turn out right.

Another silicon mix lover! I added amla oil to my prepoo last time and it was very good. Then I added some to my deep conditioner the other night. Amla is def. a keeper!

deltagyrl

Ok you've awakened the PJ in me. I see that I need bone combs, silicon mix, henna and amla oil....:lol:

Can you get the amla at Sally's?

LocksOfLuV

delta_gyrl said:
Ok you've awakened the PJ in me. I see that I need bone combs, silicon mix, henna and amla oil....:lol:

Can you get the amla at Sally's?

Nah, you got to go to an indian store for that!

JazzyDez

These ladies got it. S-CURL on the roots. Mango butter on the edges if slicking down. Weekly deep conditioning and daily moisture.....I am not crazy about how oil feels on my hair, so instead of sealing with a pure oil like olive or jojoba, I use an oil based moisturizer ORS Olive Oil. I may mix the oils in my conditioner though, and I mix them in my henna.

ETA: I am currently 9 weeks post already with some unruly 4b roots. I plan on stretching for another 6 weeks :eek: Wish me luck

Last edited: