RabiaElaine's Weave Regimen

RabiaElaine

Hello Ladies,

Since I revealed my hair from the Hide Your Hair Til Christmas Challenge, I have been getting lots of PMs about my weave regimen, so I thought I would share publicly what I shared with those that PM'd me. (BTW I don't mind PM's at all, I enjoy getting them and answering them :) )

Before I start I would like to say that my weave regimen was developed from what I learned from ladies right here on LHCF, BHM, and Reniece's fotki. Special mention to Reniece, she doesn't know me but her fotki is what really inspired me to hide my hair in weaves. There are several women on LHCF that were weave inspirations to me as well.

I was looking for an alternative to braid extensions because I do them myself or have my sister or a friend do them and they take too long since my hair was growing so I turned to weaves because they seemed like the next best option.

• My regimen consists of a combination of sew-in weaves and clip in weaves. I do clip in weaves 2 weeks after relaxing and for about 6-8 weeks, then I switch to sew-ins until just before I relax. I learned how to make a clip in weave from LiLi, here's the thread http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=90934 .
  • I take my weave out about 1 week before I relax so that I can condition it etc. I bun for 2 weeks after my relaxer before I start using clip-ins.
  • My braiding method is the same for both sew-ins and clip-ins. I leave the front of my hair out from ear to ear so that it can cover the tracks and allow for a natural part in the front. I then braid the back section of my hair in cornrows going straight back (like a guy would wear). I only do 5-8 cornrows, they aren't extremely tight either, just firm. A lot of women (including myself in the past) suffer damage from from weaving because the cornrows are way too tight.
  • If I'm doing a clip in weave I braid the ends of the braids together in one braid and then tuck it under and secure it with 2-3 bobby pins. This way I can take the ends down easily every night and moisturize them easily.
  • If I'm doing a sew-in weave I turn the ends of the braids up onto the cornrow and sew them to the cornrow.
  • I use weaving thread from the BSS and a C-shaped weaving needle, each costs about .99 cents.
  • For sew-ins and clips-ins I place the tracks going horizontally against the vertical cornrows in tracks 8-10 tracks going from the base of my head to my crown where the hair is left out.
  • To sew the track to my head I make a knot at the end of the thread like I would for a garment and pull the thread through one end of the track. I then sew the track to my cornrows going around the track. By going around the track you reduce potential shedding of the weave hair. To secure the end of the track I either make a small knot, making sure not to get any of my hair caught in it or I go back over the track going in the opposite direction for a several stitches.
  • I keep sewing tracks until I get to the top of my head the hair I left out is.
  • I sometimes use small clip-in pieces in the front of my hair (where the hair is left out) on either side of the part I'm wearing, just to make the front of my hair as long as the weave, though I don't have to wear them as my hair is getting longer.
  • If I'm doing a clip-in, once the clips are sewed to the tracks I clip them into my head going from the bottom to the top. I only put clips on opposite ends of the tracks.
  • I only do weaves on freshly washed hair (both my hair and the weave hair). I then flat-iron the weave hair and my hair at the roots to blend.
  • At night I wrap the weave like I would my own hair. When I take it down in the morning it's ready to go and doesn't need any work except to make sure the top track is covered. With clip-ins some nights I wrap it and some nights I take it out to let my head breathe and just wrap the hair that's left out. I then clip the weave back in in the morning, which takes me 5 minutes or less.
  • I wash my hair weekly with my weave. If my weave is clipped in I remove the clip-in tracks and either wash my hair in the cornrows that I have in or take down the cornrows and redo them. I then wash the weave hair in the sink (2-3 tracks at a time). I condition my hair and the weave hair.
  • If I'm sew-in, before I was I braid up the weave in 4-6 braids and my hair that's left out in the front in 2 braids that I secure with barettes (for my hair) and elastics (for the weave hair). I wash and condition the hair in the braids. To wash and condition my hair under the weave I use diluted shampoo in a spray bottle and the same for conditioner. I spray a lot and make sure I can feel it hitting my scalp so that I know it's getting to my hair. I use my fingers to get under the weave to massage my hair.
  • I airdry or go under my hooded dryer depending on how much time I have. I rollerset the hair that's left out in the front. Once dry I flat-iron like I stated above and blend.
  • To moisturize daily I use either or a combination of the following: African Royale BRX Braid Spray, Carol's daughter hair milk, WGO, Carol's Daughter Lisa's hair elixer, Carol's Daughter Hair Balm, Mizani h2o Intensive Night treatment, NTM Silk Touch Leave-in. All depends on how my hair feels under the weave. Mostly I use the Braid Spray every day and then seal with one of the other products above that have oil in them.
  • I leave my sew-ins for 4 weeks at a time. I stretch for 13-19 weeks, but I think I'm going to stick something more like 13 weeks. I leave my clip-ins for up to 2 weeks before redoing the braids underneath.
  • I am careful when combing or brushing the weave that I'm not yanking to cause as little stress to my hair underneath.
  • My weaves are undetectable to someone who doesn't know me or hasn't seen me in a long while because I take time to maintain my weave and I use quality hair.
  • I use Relaxed Texture hair from www.extensions-plus.com . It's expensive, but worth it!!!! I've been using the same hair since August. I just wash and condition it every week like I would my own hair and treat it as gently as my own hair. It looks just as beautiful as the day I got it.
  • I do protein treatments on my hair and the weave hair 1x per month. I'm switching to doing mild protein on my hair weekly.
Some things I would like to point out:
  • DON'T NEGLECT YOUR HAIR WHILE WEAVING!!! It still needs constant moisture and care.
  • TIGHT BRAIDS are a big No, No!
  • I only leave my sew-ins for 4 weeks at a time, I think you eliminate chances of matting etc. by redoing them that often (I credit Reneice for that).
  • Use S-curl or a braid detangler to soften up your cornrows before you take them out.
I think that's it. That's really all I've been doing for the last 6 months, and it is reaping me huge benefits. Now if I could just get back on my vitamins I can't imagine how much more my hair would grow. I plan to keep up this regimen until I get to BSL (which I'm hoping for at the earliest December 07 or spring of '08). I'm getting married in August of '08 so my plan is for my hair to be thick and healthy BSL so I can wear any hairstyle I want on my wedding day and as a gift to my future husband.

If you have questions feel free to ask here or PM me :).

RabiaElaine

nycutiepie

Thank you sooooooo much because this is exactly what I needed:clap:. I was addicted to weaves for years and they tore my hair up because I didn't maintain them properly and the beauticians braid too damn tight. That's what led me to find this site. Anyway, I've been weave free since August and was scared to put another weave in my hair since I've been using all the tips I'm learning on LHCF and my hair is thriving. I'm going to the caribbean in February and I was debating getting a weave and you have just inspired me to try it myself. I'm going to PM you about the hair from the website because I always use Adorables but I'm thinking about trying your people. Thanks again for breaking it all down. I love this site.

LaNecia

:notworthy:

This is one of the most informative, helpful threads I've read in a while. Thank you so much for sharing your regimen!

star

What kind of clips is she using to sew the hair to? Does anyone have a picture? Is this a comb like clip or a real clip?

Thanks so much for posting. That thread about the clip-ons by LILI was so great!! Thanks for posting that. I will be making mine tonight. You have inspired me to use the crown and glory with the clip ons. The tips will help alot.

My mother cant believe the things that I have learned from this site.:lol:

angie10

I'm going to get the courage to read this later, I'm always trying to stay away from threads talking about weaves, fall, lace front and etc:lol: I'm afraid I might get addicted and forget about my own hair. Thanks for posting.

shelli4018

Wow! This is a great tutorial. You may not get many responses because you've answered every question ahead of time. You're good at this, RE!!

Last edited:

JazzyDez

thanks Rabia:) . I know I probably helped inspire you to post this thread with all of my questions! :look: Great info and very detailed. I plan on hiding my hair for most of the year alternating weaves with half wigs this year and your info has helped me alot with my decision.

RabiaElaine

star said:
What kind of clips is she using to sew the hair to? Does anyone have a picture? Is this a comb like clip or a real clip?

They are comb clips if you look at LiLi's post there should be a link to a You Tube video where she shows you how to do it.

RabiaElaine

HoneyDew said:
It has lasted since August!?!

I am going to have to buy some of that!

Yup!! Once I learned how long it could last from the ladies on BHM that made up my mind, on top of how natural it looks. One lady on BHM wore the same hair for 3 years I think. You just have to wash and condition it. I was thinking at what point I'm going to want to replace this hair but right I don't know when this would really be necessary.

RabiaElaine

JazzyDez said:
thanks Rabia:) . I know I probably helped inspire you to post this thread with all of my questions! :look: Great info and very detailed. I plan on hiding my hair for most of the year alternating weaves with half wigs this year and your info has helped me alot with my decision.

LOL:lachen: ! I love answering questions because soooooo many ladies have answered hundreds of mine.

ak46

:clap: Thanks RabiaElaine for posting this. It's so informative and very helpful. It's just what I needed since I will be wearing weaves throughout 2007. Thanks again. :notworthy

LaNecia

Came back to add:

I stopped by Sally's last night and bought some clips on the way home! I couldn't help myself. made a few to add highlights to my bangs...they worked like a charm!

Thanks for the awesome post! I'm wearing my french braid w/clip bangs today. :lol:

HoneyDew

VWVixxen said:
Came back to add:

I stopped by Sally's last night and bought some clips on the way home! I couldn't help myself. made a few to add highlights to my bangs...they worked like a charm!

Thanks for the awesome post! I'm wearing my french braid w/clip bangs today. :lol:

gimme that french braid vwvixxen! I like that!

RabiaElaine

star said:

Check out LiLi's thread she has a Youtube video of the whole process.

LaNecia

I put some of these in this morning, in the signature Aaliyah hairstyle...I know I'm supposed to be hiding my hair but...I HAD TO SEE...(and I'm doing the final fitting for my gown today so I wanted to be a little glam)...

My son goes mom, "Wow, I can't even tell, that looks NICE!"

Thanks again Rabia!

RabiaElaine

VWVixxen said:
I put some of these in this morning, in the signature Aaliyah hairstyle...I know I'm supposed to be hiding my hair but...I HAD TO SEE...(and I'm doing the final fitting for my gown today so I wanted to be a little glam)...

My son goes mom, "Wow, I can't even tell, that looks NICE!"

Thanks again Rabia!

Awww I'm glad you are finding some use from my regimen. Congrats on your future marriage btw!!!!! I can't wait to see pics when it's all said and done.

Also enjoy your honeymoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Artemis

This thread just reminded me that I have an "emergency hair" stash in my closet, LOL! I've got tracks w/clips sewn on I made last summer but never used, and packs of left over hair from sew-ins. This might get reinstated into the regimen to help w/stretching :)

Great posts, ladies!

RabiaElaine

artemis_e. said:
This thread just reminded me that I have an "emergency hair" stash in my closet, LOL! I've got tracks w/clips sewn on I made last summer but never used, and packs of left over hair from sew-ins. This might get reinstated into the regimen to help w/stretching :)

Great posts, ladies!

I'm glad you'll get to use your emergency stash!

SpiritJunkie

;) This thread is what got me on self-weaving. I'm on my 2nd installment now. I have spanish wave in my hair. There's a bit of shedding but I really like it because with my natural hair i just do a braid out and blend.

Will post pics when i get a chance.

RABIAElaine is the truth!!

:) :)