Getting the Brazilian Keratin Treatment Tomorrow!!!

Nayna

Unbothered
It looks smooth as silk OP!
Since you can't put clips in it are you going to just wrap it at night?

msa

i visited the webpage of the specific BKT treatment she was talking about, SunPure Straight and it is formaldehyde free. Not sure what other chemicals are in it though.:ohwell:

Yeah I think the other chemical they use is ether, like vkb said, which is just as bad IMO.

Well I would call it "near natural" because it wears off with time. There is nothing to grow out supposedly with the BKT. You just go back to your natural state with time.

Yeah I know it wears off. That's why I've been asking just to see what different people say. Obviously, it's not your natural texture after the treatment is done, but it's also not a permanent change because the hair reverts.

Hey, MSA, I'll still be natural because the sulfur bonds of the hair are not broken down. Are naturals that color still natural? Doesn't really matter to me, either way, though. I just want to rock may hair straight with ease. And when I'm ready to go back to my curls, I want that option, too, without transitioning.

Some conditioners have sodium hydroxide in it to hold the ph to a certain place. It's a small amount, but if you're natural for years and use that conditioner once are you no longer natural? I ask the question, but I know my answer. Just trying to put bkt into perspective.

Well I've never heard of sulfur bonds in hair so I need to look into that. I know there are protein and hydrogen bonds. Personally, my definition of natural has nothing to do with the bonds within the hair because if it did those who "texlax/texturize" could still be considered natural.

I guess the part that's getting me is that it's a chemical alteration that physically changes the hair, even if it's not permanent. I guess I'm just trying to figure out how it works if you've had a BKT and then are saying you're natural when obviously your hair isn't in it's natural state.

Sodium hydroxide in a small concentration doesn't alter the texture of the hair so I'd consider that natural. But, I guess it all depends on one's definition of the word. I don't consider coloring and straightening (chemically or thermally) natural, but that's just me.

I'm just asking because it's interesting to me and I wanted to see what people say. I've heard different things from different people. Also, I was confused by someone who was giving advice and I thought she was natural and it turned out she had a BKT done. Anyway, I'm not trying to say someone is or isn't natural, everyone should label themselves how they see fit. Just wondering how people felt about it.

Dove56

Beautiful results!!!!!!!!!! There's a girl on naturally curly that had
beautiful results from Peter Coppola as well. The pics are below (since they didn't show her face I posted them).

Last edited:

SoAnxious12

i would love to try this, but its not the chems that scare me though. Its the four day upkeep (no ponytails, clips water etc...) Maybe I will try this in the fall, when i know I won't sweat it out.

Dove56

Yeah I think the other chemical they use is ether, like vkb said, which is just as bad IMO.

Yeah I know it wears off. That's why I've been asking just to see what different people say. Obviously, it's not your natural texture after the treatment is done, but it's also not a permanent change because the hair reverts.

Well I've never heard of sulfur bonds in hair so I need to look into that. I know there are protein and hydrogen bonds. Personally, my definition of natural has nothing to do with the bonds within the hair because if it did those who "texlax/texturize" could still be considered natural.

I guess the part that's getting me is that it's a chemical alteration that physically changes the hair, even if it's not permanent. I guess I'm just trying to figure out how it works if you've had a BKT and then are saying you're natural when obviously your hair isn't in it's natural state.

Sodium hydroxide in a small concentration doesn't alter the texture of the hair so I'd consider that natural. But, I guess it all depends on one's definition of the word. I don't consider coloring and straightening (chemically or thermally) natural, but that's just me.

I'm just asking because it's interesting to me and I wanted to see what people say. I've heard different things from different people. Also, I was confused by someone who was giving advice and I thought she was natural and it turned out she had a BKT done. Anyway, I'm not trying to say someone is or isn't natural, everyone should label themselves how they see fit. Just wondering how people felt about it.

It's very simple. The BKT is a TEMPORARY ALTERATION of the hair. Chi Silk Inusion isn't "natural", chemical laden conditioners aren't "natural" shoot an apple isn't "natural" anymore. I think you should read the science behind how the product works. I've dyed my hair black before but the texture was still naturally curly. Are you getting the procedure done or something?

sheba1

I guess I'm just trying to figure out how it works if you've had a BKT and then are saying you're natural when obviously your hair isn't in it's natural state.
So if you color are you natural? Chemical service; hair is altered from the way it came out of your head.

Also, there are some who think that if you press your not natural. I happen to think that's a lil ridiculous. I also think women who color are still natural.

Truly it doesn't matter to me, either way, whether someone thinks I'm natural or not.

Off to see the results! :sekret:

msa

It's very simple. The BKT is a TEMPORARY ALTERATION of the hair. Chi Silk Inusion isn't "natural", chemical laden conditioners aren't "natural" shoot an apple isn't "natural" anymore. I think you should read the science behind how the product works. I've dyed my hair black before but the texture was still naturally curly. Are you getting the procedure done or something?

I've done extensive research on it so I know how it works. I understand that it's a temporary alteration. I was just wondering how people will choose to classify themselves is all.

So if you color are you natural? Chemical service; hair is altered from the way it came out of your head.

Also, there are some who think that if you press your not natural. I happen to think that's a lil ridiculous. I also think women who color are still natural.

Truly it doesn't matter to me, either way, whether someone thinks I'm natural or not.

Off to see the results! :sekret:

I was just asking to see how people would classify themselves. I'm not trying classify anyone. Though it's helpful when people make it clear if they are giving haircare advice. Anyway, like I said I think it all depends on your definition of natural. IMO, natural is the way it grew out of your head, so if I had BKT I wouldn't consider myself natural. But, that doesn't mean other people can't or shouldn't.

Really, I just wanted other views on it.

SouthernTease

I don't know if the liquid keratin thing is the same, but I'm looking forward to your pics. I am debating on doing the same. I wonder if this is less damaging than relaxing.:bookworm: I need more research on this, first.:rolleyes:

Liquid Keratin is a at home thing. I hear it doesn't last as long as the real deal. From what I've seen, read, and know it works to improve the hair... it's a treatment. Relaxers break down the hair. I encourage people to do their own research. Why not? It's your body, your hair.

So can you wrap hair after? ST it's very pretty... but your hair is pretty either way!

You don't want to do anything to indent the hair. I might try to wrap it without clips and a loose scarf or I may just sleep on the satin pillowcase. I don't want to take chances.

i would love to try this, but its not the chems that scare me though. Its the four day upkeep (no ponytails, clips water etc...) Maybe I will try this in the fall, when i know I won't sweat it out.

You should be scared about the chemicals. You should at least educate yourself so you can make informed decisions. Right, you should wait then... you don't want $350+ to be sweated out.

Southernbella.

It looks very pretty!

Has anyone with 4a/b hair done it? I'm just curious about what it looks like (not interested in doing it myself!).

naturalmanenyc

Great results!!!!

I had it done with Lasio One Day Treatment - http://lasiostudios.com/494/Products

The true test will be after you wash.
My curls were looser and much more manageable. My flat iron has lasted for 4 full days so far....which is highly unusual at 16 months post relaxer.

ETA - today is day 6 of my flat iron!!!

ETA - today is the end of day 9!!!! I am washing it out tomorrow.
:grin::grin::grin::grin:

Last edited:

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
Awesome as usual..I expected nothing less. I'd consider doing this a couple of times a year instead of texlaxing if I could find someone to do it locally.

hothair

It looks very pretty!

Has anyone with 4a/b hair done it? I'm just curious about what it looks like (not interested in doing it myself!).
:yep: Did mine with the global keratin 4% brand at home details on my LHCF blog and fotki....

Great results!!!!

I had it done with Lasio One Day Treatment - http://lasiostudios.com/494/Products

The true test will be after you wash.
My curls were looser and much more manageable. My flat iron has lasted for 4 full days so far....which is highly unusual at 16 months post relaxer.
Exactly! After my 1st wash, my coils were looser and detangling was a breeze, details on LHCF blog, I flat-ironed on very low heat with ONE swipe and my hair's still very silky and smooth, this is what I'm going to keep doing with my hair every 6 weeks.

Last edited:

1babydimple

This is interesting, but if you have to keep your hair flat for 48-72 (I've heard different #s) how on earth do you sleep? Definately not with a scarf because any tying would leave a mark, a bonnet, head hanging out the bed :)

That question was for anyone who had it done ...

Dove56

Southerntease,

What precautionary measures did they take to protect you from the fumes? I know formeldahyde free products have negligible amounts so at least it's not as bad as the others. I can't wait to get this done.