Ladies who use/have used the split ender

flowinlocks

Unless a blunt shape is desired do you think this it would eliminate the need for scissors altogether? Therefore retaining all your length by not cutting straight across, any thoughts?

NJoy

Here I grow again!
yeah. I don't think it's designed to give a cut. Just trims the ends as they are so, if you're talking about retaining the shape, it does. You will need scissors to change the shape. This assumes it works the way it's supposed to work. So far I think it works reasonably well. Of course, I've only used it once on my hair but, so far, so good.

flowinlocks

yeah. I don't think it's designed to give a cut. Just trims the ends as they are so, if you're talking about retaining the shape, it does. You will need scissors to change the shape. This assumes it works the way it's supposed to work. So far I think it works reasonably well. Of course, I've only used it once on my hair but, so far, so good.

Sorry let me clarify. I'm actually wondering since it trims all the split ends down the shaft do you feel like you could reach your goal faster since you aren't removing any length? Or do you feel like the scissors would need to be pulled out somewhere down the line? I know this is your first time using it so I'll be expecting you to keep us posted.:yep:

Kellum

Sorry let me clarify. I'm actually wondering since it trims all the split ends down the shaft do you feel like you could reach your goal faster since you aren't removing any length? Or do you feel like the scissors would need to be pulled out somewhere down the line? I know this is your first time using it so I'll be expecting you to keep us posted.:yep:

I feel like it could help, especially since you won't be cutting a lot. It can help to cut down on the number of trims you need. For my hair, I have learned that not trimming/dusting my ends is not good. I did that for 8 months and had to end up getting a 1 1/2" cut in Dec of last year. Just getting small trims/dusting I would have avoided that. This tool will help me in the long run to not need big trims. It cuts a very small amount. I will most likely not need professional trims as much. Instead of getting salon trims with every touch up, I can probably go twice a year and still have ends in good shape alleviating the big cut.

flowinlocks

I feel like it could help, especially since you won't be cutting a lot. It can help to cut down on the number of trims you need. For my hair, I have learned that not trimming/dusting my ends is not good. I did that for 8 months and had to end up getting a 1 1/2" cut in Dec of last year. Just getting small trims/dusting I would have avoided that. This tool will help me in the long run to not need big trims. It cuts a very small amount. I will most likely not need professional trims as much. Instead of getting salon trims with every touch up, I can probably go twice a year and still have ends in good shape alleviating the big cut.

Sorry I'm just now seeing this. I'm really debating on buying one. How often do you think you will use it?

Kellum

Sorry I'm just now seeing this. I'm really debating on buying one. How often do you think you will use it?

How do you dust your ends now? Previously I was doing Traycee's method. It is good, but takes a long time. Essentially this is the same thing but quicker. I get pretty much the same results.

I believe the directions say to do it every 6 weeks. I did my first dusting on 3/16, and my 2nd was on 4/10. I love it, it leaves my hair feel soft and silky. That was less than a month apart.I just did it this time because of my touch up and flat iron. I will wait 6 weeks to dust again. I'm trying to dust during the new moon or during specific moons that are good for growth. My dusting on 4/10 was during the Pisces moon.

MsPlatinumbsf

I just order the spilt ender after reading all the reviews and because my last trim was a chop so I hope to get great results from using it.

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I have one and love it! I use it right before going into each install. So I basically dust on a Wed. install on Sat. leave in my install for eight weeks out for 2 then dust and start all over again. I guess that is about every 10 weeks. I do plan on getting a slight trim in Nov when I get my relaxer and I hope to be full APL by then and I think that the Split Ender will help me get there.

flowinlocks

Kellum;10681402[B said:
]How do you dust your ends now?[/B] Previously I was doing Traycee's method. It is good, but takes a long time. Essentially this is the same thing but quicker. I get pretty much the same results.

I believe the directions say to do it every 6 weeks. I did my first dusting on 3/16, and my 2nd was on 4/10. I love it, it leaves my hair feel soft and silky. That was less than a month apart.I just did it this time because of my touch up and flat iron. I will wait 6 weeks to dust again. I'm trying to dust during the new moon or during specific moons that are good for growth. My dusting on 4/10 was during the Pisces moon.

I just go thru and and snip small sections. I try to trim during this moon phases also :yep:

Kellum

I am texlaxed and have used it while my hair was lightly blowdried (the first time) and flat ironed. For me it is not necessary to have to flat iron my hair. As long my hair is pretty straight and detangled it works well. Also you have to make sure to use thin sections no bigger than 1/4". If you do that, it does a good job of clipping most of the ends.

fancypants007

I just ordered my splitender. Can't wait till it comes. I will be doing this regularly, like every 6-8 weeks. I hope it works for me.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I didn't like the split ender at all. It's not thorough enough for what I need. It skips over all kinds of splits. It kinda just cuts what it wants to cut/what sticks out vs. me doing it by hand and getting every split i see. It also cuts good ends too and it misses splits. I don't care about it cutting good ends but i needed it to do a better job. IMO you would still have to use scissors. I will continue to do Traycee's method and do S&D's even though it takes longer.

fluffylocks

I've had one since december 2008.

I think if you start with a good trim or you dont have alot of splits and your taking care of your hair, then you can use this every 2 months to keep your hair free of splits.

But I personally would start with a good trim, and keep watching my ends the whole time, make sure to keep the blades arent getting dull, and once I reach landmarks plan to get another good trim.

If you dont care about shape of the hair, yes, I think its will be good to keep you from having to cut length off the bottom of your hair.

If you do care about shape, or want to make sure that your hair is as healthy as can be, I would still do a good trim at least once a year while taking really good care and watching the ends.

But if your hair is damaged or not in good shape, then I would use this with a regular trim for alittle while.

fluffylocks

I didn't like the split ender at all. It's not thorough enough for what I need. It skips over all kinds of splits. It kinda just cuts what it wants to cut/what sticks out vs. me doing it by hand and getting every split i see. It also cuts good ends too and it misses splits. I don't care about it cutting good ends but i needed it to do a better job. IMO you would still have to use scissors. I will continue to do Traycee's method and do S&D's even though it takes longer.

I kind of agree.

I liked it, but im thorough about my ends too.
So I think if your a person thats really into your ends, that you can use it as a aid, but you still have to be really carefull, watch your hair, and maybe still use scissors.

Pokahontas is right, somtimes it cuts good ends, sometimes it skips splits-thats why if you want to use it, I would start with hair that doesnt have alot of splits or get a good trim first.

Flowinlocks, if your really thorough about your ends also-

I would recomend if you got it, to use it in small sections, go over maybe twice, open it up to look what kind of ends you got in there, twist your hair, see the ends that stick up (or however you look at your splits), and see if there are anymore with scissors in your hand.

The only reason I liked it, is because it cut down on the amount of time to go through your whole head and look for splits, and its good if you have uneven lengths, and want to trim those too because its hard to do that with regular trims.
But I personally used it, still twisted my hair, andused regular scissors for hairs that were missed.
It used to take me all day, maybe two to get all of my hair, with the splitender I got it done in about 2-3 hours because it cut down on alot of the work.

Aspire

Yeah, I am thinking about this too. Just heard about it. I love Tracey's method, but it takes a long time and my back is still not long enough to that method w/o straining my arms. I guess I will subscribe and see if there are any updates.

Muse

I like it. It is cheaply made though. I hit a snag in my roots once (and this was the first time I used it) and it malfunctioned. Couldn't finish the rest of my head. I liked the job that it did on the finished part of my head so much that I decided to send it in to the company for repair-under warranty-instead of asking for a refund. Just make sure you don't run this across any tangles.

The other ladies are right though it will NOT get all of the split ends but I still think it does a great job. I'm not anal about having to get every single split but if you are then maybe you should stick with the scissors.

lalla

No I didn't straighten my hair. I washed, deep conditioned, detangled and braided to dry. My hair was semi straight and detangled when I used it ( and yes, I did read the instructions).

guudhair

thanks for the reviews ladies...since yall are saying it doesn't get all the split ends the first time, do yall think with repeated use it will eventually?...say if I use it every other day or so for the first couple of weeks then start a reggie using it only once every 6 weeks or more.

natural_one

No I didn't straighten my hair. I washed, deep conditioned, detangled and braided to dry. My hair was semi straight and detangled when I used it ( and yes, I did read the instructions).

Do you think you would have better results if you straightened it? I am natural plan on using it really soon. I am hoping to avoid the straightening step.