My review of the Splitender

Kellum

I wanted a new way to dust my ends in between trims. Previously I was doing Traycee's method. I like the method, but it would take me like 3 to 4 days to do it and after doing that my back and neck would hurt. I thought about getting the Split Ender, but never followed through. I read testimonials, watched You Tube videos, and finally decided to just go head and try it. I would determine on my own whether I liked it or not.

This weekend, chelated and did an Emergencee since I hadn't done on in so long, dc'd for like an hour and blew my hair straight using the warm on my blow dryer. I passed the Split Ender down the length of very thin sections of hair. The sections were at the most 1/4" in width. I did that three times per section. I would examine the section after I was done. For the most part it did get the majority of my ends. I continued doing this until my whole head was finished. The entire process took me about 4 hours. It took a long time because I kept stopping to talk with DH, watch tv, and goof around as well as checking the sections to see if it cut anything.

Here are the pros:

• Faster than the other method. It still takes a long time to do, but not days.I can finish my head in one evening.
  • Get the majority of the ends. I would say it cut like 95% or more of my ends, even the good ones. For me that is good because when I do the other method I miss some ends as well. There is no possible way to get each and every end my head. There is just no way, it is impossible, so my goal was to get the majority of them. I have no problem with cutting the good ends. I did that with other method. It keeps my hair healthy.
  • Just like with the other method, if I saw that I missed a split I would go back and trim it with my scissors. For the most part it got them.
  • Cuts no more than 1/8" to 1/4" of hair. I plan on doing this every 6 weeks according to the moon schedule. I planned this dusting during the Pisces moon this past weekend since it is good for faster growth and thickness. I don't know if it is going to work, but I figured I would give it a try. :)
Cons:

• Pricey, it is not really cheap, but I like the convenience.
  • The tool is loud. I had to turn the tv up a little to hear over it.
  • It is a little heavy. After doing it a while, my wrist and hand was tired.

My overall opinion is I like it. It is good to have for dusting your ends in between getting a trim. I plan on using this every 6 weeks and then getting my trim professionally after my touch ups or at least twice a year.

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I have been having mine for awhile now and I am going to use it finally this weekend. I hope it does well for me as it has for others that way I can keep from going to the Salon.

Kellum

^^^ I was skeptical, but decided I would make my own opinion about it. I think that if your sections are too big it won't be as good. If you make sure to have very thin sections, it does pretty well.

pisceschica

I concur with everything you said. Now I need to go find it from under my bed. I don't think I've used it since I first got it in 2004/2005.

Pisces moon for hair growth? Enlighten me.

Kellum

I concur with everything you said. Now I need to go find it from under my bed. I don't think I've used it since I first got it in 2004/2005.

Pisces moon for hair growth? Enlighten me.

I'm no expert I just got started with this but I will try and explain. The new moon is supposed to be good for faster growth. There are other moons as well that can affect growth and make it slower or faster, as well as affect thickness.

When I trim/dust I check to make sure that the moons are favorable meaning to trim during either the new moon and/or during the other favorable moons. I don't want to trim during the new moon and on that day there is an unfavorable moon that cause the hair to grow slower.

If there is a VOC moon, I will wait until it is over. Like this weekend, there was a moon VOC for a few hours. I just waited until that evening to trim my hair. The moon VOC is explained on the Zodiac Arts calendar.

http://www.zodiacarts.com/whatsup/Calendars/ct/Calendar.shtml
That's the calendar I go by. You just select your time zone. I use the CST calendar.

All the moon maintenance is explained here.
http://www.longhairlovers.com/moon_maintenance.html

This is the info on the Pisces moon. I don't know if this stuff works or not. It can't hurt to try. Its no crazier than what some of us do now:look:

The Moon in Pisces is watery and feminine and one of the most fertile signs so expect increased growth and thickness if you cut your hair during this moon. In fact, almost any hair goal can be achieved with success. Chemically processing your hair is favorable since so much moist energy is available. A Pisces moon is meant for reflecting on your connection to other people and the cosmos so use this time for intimate, serious, and inspirational conversations with the opposite sex. There’s a passionate quality to this moon that sets the stage for romantic encounters. Don’t let this moon pass you by without trying a superbly romantic, soft style. Deep auburn and chestnut colors enhance an amorous moment.

MsRR

I got my splitender on Monday 3/15/10 and I like it alot..I'm glad I bought it to try for myself because they had a lot of mixed reviews. Its funny how I would hate to let my hair stylist trim my hair but with the splitender I'm ready to dust again...because it actually does keep your length and my hair felt really good afterwards.

Kellum

I got my splitender on Monday 3/15/10 and I like it alot..I'm glad I bought it to try for myself because they had a lot of mixed reviews. Its funny how I would hate to let my hair stylist trim my hair but with the splitender I'm ready to dust again...because it actually does keep your length and my hair felt really good afterwards.

You are right about the feel. My ends weren't in bad shape but my hair felt just smooth all over and that is just blow dried hair not flat ironed. So I can only imagine what my hair would feel like flat ironed. I didn't try the silk drops yet. Have you tried them?

I have 2 great stylist. They only cut what I ask and no more. I don't have a fear in that area. It is a really great tool for dusting as long as you remember to change the blades I think after a years worth of use.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Thanks for this post. I ordered one last night. I'm also trimming during the Equinox. Ok, I don't really know much about that but, there's a challenge going on for trimming on the 19 and 20th for growth. I've looked at the charts and stuff and figured I'll give it a try. I meant to order my splitender with priority shipping (which is an extra ten bucks) so that it will be here by the 20th. I sent an email after I placed my order saying that I wanted to receive it by the 20th, and if they would give me a link, I'd pay the extra $10 for shipping via paypal. They responded that they would ship it priority at no additional cost to me. :drunk: I thought that was awesome. And it did ship out today. Still, we'll see if it gets here in time.

I had the old splitender-type appliance from back in the day and didn't like it. I think I was just scared to use it or didn't do it right, or something. But, take that with a grain of salt because I was horrible at taking care of my hair back then anyway. I had no clue as to what I was doing. I just didn't want to cut it off with some appliance (flashback to me trying to use a curling iron on the stove and burned my curl straight off. :rolleyes:) Anyway, I'm ready to give this a try. Again, thanks for the post. :yep:

Beaute Noire

Thank you for your review OP :yep:

It seems that everyone who purchases the Splitender raves about how soft their hair feels after using it. I've also heard that it is quite loud :ohwell:

ms.swayne

Thank you so much for doing a review on this! i've wanted one for awhile but didn't think it was worth the money but now I'm def getting one. btw you can order one on ebay instead of their website and save $14.95 on shipping!

Truth

I would agree with the OP..it's great for a dust... I needed a serious trim so I still ended up getting some sheers and doing my own trim..other then that .. its good

Last edited:

Kellum

I would agree with the OP..it's great for a dust... I needed a serious trim so I still ended up getting some sheers and doing my own trim..other then that .. its good

Yeah if your ends are in good shape it is good for dusting, but if you need a serious trim I would suggest getting that first and then just using the Split Ender for dusting.

Gonna buy one in the very near future :grin::grin::grin:

Oh, love Love LOVE ur hair!!!!!! What's ur regi, if u don't mind me asking?

Thanks, I don't mind sharing my reggie. I pretty much follow this regimen.

I do my Ayurveda regimen pretty much weekly unless I am really busy. Here's the regimen. It can be found at my blog among other things.
http://kellumskorner.blogspot.com/2009/07/my-ayurveda-regimen.html

I haven't done a henna in a while.

I PS all the time with half wigs, braids and such. When in half wigs I stick to the same regimen. When in braids, I spray my braids and scalp with a water V05 cond mix daily to every other day and spray Chi Keratin mist at least weekly. I try and wash, dc the braids at least every 2 weeks. The longest I have kept my braids in were a month so far.

I don't use a lot heat from the flat iron. I do use my blow dryer on warm to dry my hair and have not had any adverse effects on my hair at all.

I wear my hair out like the week after a touch up and the put it right back up. I'm just used to it being in a PS. I plan on wearing it more once I reach my goals.

That's pretty much about it. I drink a lot of water, take my vitamins, and exercise regularly.

When I'm in braids I

nice review! I never thought about it - but I may consider it....

Thanks, I tried to be thorough in my review to help others.

Thank you so much for doing a review on this! i've wanted one for awhile but didn't think it was worth the money but now I'm def getting one. btw you can order one on ebay instead of their website and save $14.95 on shipping!

I do know that some have bought theirs from eBay but I got mine from the website. There are some counterfeits out there so I just wanted to be on the safe side.

Thank you for your review OP :yep:

It seems that everyone who purchases the Splitender raves about how soft their hair feels after using it. I've also heard that it is quite loud :ohwell:

You're welcome, and it is true. My hair felt good prior to doing it but after wards it was really soft and smooth. I really like it.

Thanks for this post. I ordered one last night. I'm also trimming during the Equinox. Ok, I don't really know much about that but, there's a challenge going on for trimming on the 19 and 20th for growth. I've looked at the charts and stuff and figured I'll give it a try. I meant to order my splitender with priority shipping (which is an extra ten bucks) so that it will be here by the 20th. I sent an email after I placed my order saying that I wanted to receive it by the 20th, and if they would give me a link, I'd pay the extra $10 for shipping via paypal. They responded that they would ship it priority at no additional cost to me. :drunk: I thought that was awesome. And it did ship out today. Still, we'll see if it gets here in time.

I had the old splitender-type appliance from back in the day and didn't like it. I think I was just scared to use it or didn't do it right, or something. But, take that with a grain of salt because I was horrible at taking care of my hair back then anyway. I had no clue as to what I was doing. I just didn't want to cut it off with some appliance (flashback to me trying to use a curling iron on the stove and burned my curl straight off. :rolleyes:) Anyway, I'm ready to give this a try. Again, thanks for the post. :yep:

Yeah I believe I saw something about that challenge. I didn't sign up. I am doing this for myself just to see. You should try the new one. You may like it and if you don't you can just send it back. I ordered mine with rush shipping to be sure I got mine by this weekend. That's good they offered t send it to you without the extra charge.

Day Dreamer

Thanks for review. I need to know if this can replace the "salon trim"? I do not want to have more hair trimmed than is necessary so this might be a good alternative.

Kellum

Thanks for review. I need to know if this can replace the "salon trim"? I do not want to have more hair trimmed than is necessary so this might be a good alternative.

It depends on the person. If you are someone who never wears their hair straight and don't care about if you have a perfect hemline for your ends, then you probably can do away with salon trims. As long as your ends are in good shape to begin.

I like to wear my hair straight at times and don't want an uneven look to my ends so I will continue to get my salon trims. I only trim between 1/4" to 1/2" when I go to the salon and I only get more trimmed if needed.

I plan on using it as a dusting tool in between trims. I get my trims after my touch up which are 3 to 4 times a year. So this will cut down my salon trims hopefully to twice a year or even once a year.

catgurl

Just chiming in with another thanks to the OP. I did a search on the Splitender about a week ago and didn't buy it because the only threads I found were pretty old.

I don't have the patience for S&D and my dusting technique is not that great either. Your review is so well written, all of my concerns/questions have been answered. This will be my next purchase.

(this is why I love LHCF)

Kellum

^^^ You're welcome. I remember when I started searching for threads, they were pretty old too. They have some new ones that popped up recently, but it was a lot of mixed reviews. I have been considering buying this thing for a while, but I finally said I need to get it because I was dreading dusting my hair. I can't feel like that. It just takes too long to do it the other way and I don't want to become lazy and complacent and my hair start to suffer.

MsPlatinumbsf

I wanted a new way to dust my ends in between trims. Previously I was doing Traycee's method. I like the method, but it would take me like 3 to 4 days to do it and after doing that my back and neck would hurt. I thought about getting the Split Ender, but never followed through. I read testimonials, watched You Tube videos, and finally decided to just go head and try it. I would determine on my own whether I liked it or not.

This weekend, chelated and did an Emergencee since I hadn't done on in so long, dc'd for like an hour and blew my hair straight using the warm on my blow dryer. I passed the Split Ender down the length of very thin sections of hair. The sections were at the most 1/4" in width. I did that three times per section. I would examine the section after I was done. For the most part it did get the majority of my ends. I continued doing this until my whole head was finished. The entire process took me about 4 hours. It took a long time because I kept stopping to talk with DH, watch tv, and goof around as well as checking the sections to see if it cut anything.

Here are the pros:

• Faster than the other method. It still takes a long time to do, but not days.I can finish my head in one evening.
  • Get the majority of the ends. I would say it cut like 95% or more of my ends, even the good ones. For me that is good because when I do the other method I miss some ends as well. There is no possible way to get each and every end my head. There is just no way, it is impossible, so my goal was to get the majority of them. I have no problem with cutting the good ends. I did that with other method. It keeps my hair healthy.
  • Just like with the other method, if I saw that I missed a split I would go back and trim it with my scissors. For the most part it got them.
  • Cuts no more than 1/8" to 1/4" of hair. I plan on doing this every 6 weeks according to the moon schedule. I planned this dusting during the Pisces moon this past weekend since it is good for faster growth and thickness. I don't know if it is going to work, but I figured I would give it a try. :)
Cons:

• Pricey, it is not really cheap, but I like the convenience.
  • The tool is loud. I had to turn the tv up a little to hear over it.
  • It is a little heavy. After doing it a while, my wrist and hand was tired.
My overall opinion is I like it. It is good to have for dusting your ends in between getting a trim. I plan on using this every 6 weeks and then getting my trim professionally after my touch ups or at least twice a year.

Ordered mine today excited to see how it works for me.