Need Advice: Keeping Two Strand Twists From Locking

Choklatekiss79

I'm going to have my hair in two strand twists for the duration of the winter. I'm (natural) mostly 4a/b and I'm wondering what's the maximum amount of time I should keep a set in to avoid locking? I did them so small that I really can't imagine having to to redo them every week. I'm hoping I can stretch it it two weeks. What do you ladies think? What are your experiences?

TIA

JustKiya

It really depends on your hair. For me, two weeks is my absolute max, but I hate how they look around the 1.5 week mark, so I only go to one week.

A good way to avoid them trying to lock is a) detangle each twist THROUGHLY. I'm talking super well, like you were about to run a hot comb through it. b) As you are twisting, twist each 'piece' of hair. So, for example, you have strand A and strand B that are going to go together to make a twist. As you are twisting, twist strand A, then twist it arond strand B. Twist strand B, and twist it around strand A. So forth and so on, all of the way down. That keeps each half of the twist 'self-contained', so that when it does come to time to take them down, you don't have 'cross tangling' between the two twists, and since you super detangled the hair, you shouldn't have tangling within strand A or B.

Also, the less often you get them wet, the less likely they are to start to try to lock up.

Nonie

I'm going to have my hair in two strand twists for the duration of the winter. I'm (natural) mostly 4a/b and I'm wondering what's the maximum amount of time I should keep a set in to avoid locking? I did them so small that I really can't imagine having to to redo them every week. I'm hoping I can stretch it it two weeks. What do you ladies think? What are your experiences?

TIA

To be honest, I think the only way to keep them from locking is to twist my way. Don't mean to sound big-headed but I have tried to twist the way a lot of people do it, which is just wrapping two sections of hair around each other without doing anything else, and it looked like a recipe for tangles. If I keep my hair twisted, I hardly ever need to spend time detangling because my hair NEVER tangles or knots up. I keep my twists in for a long time BTW and wash twice a week, and except for the occasional few that might unravel, I have the easiest time with my hair.

My twisting method differs from others by the fact that I first twist each section/strand clockwise on its own before wrapping them around each other anticlockwise. This ensures the hairs in each section stay in their place and don't get tangled with those in the other strand. Undoing is also very easy as all I do is unwrap and then untwist each strand separately and hairs just separate with ease.

I will also add that I don't use products when in twists--but I don't know if that makes a difference at all. Mwedzi, who uses products, tried this twisting method so can tell you if products made her hair stick together or not. But while she hated how skinny the twists looked, she found they hang longer and I think she said they didn't unravel when she washed. She didn't like the twist-out though from them so if a twist-out is what you plan to rock later on, just know the twist-out looks more like crimped locs--you've been forewarned. :lol: All in all, I don't think she was disappointed by the method. It does take long until you get used to it, when you can do it faster.

Anyway, here is a demo of my twisting method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-PPsh1_Np0

And here's a demo of how easy it is to undo the twists even after several washes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jff-Uqfb_SA

My twists after 8 washes in 4 weeks (sorry I forgot how huge the pic is :blush:):

Last edited:

Choklatekiss79

It really depends on your hair. For me, two weeks is my absolute max, but I hate how they look around the 1.5 week mark, so I only go to one week.

A good way to avoid them trying to lock is a) detangle each twist THROUGHLY. I'm talking super well, like you were about to run a hot comb through it. b) As you are twisting, twist each 'piece' of hair. So, for example, you have strand A and strand B that are going to go together to make a twist. As you are twisting, twist strand A, then twist it arond strand B. Twist strand B, and twist it around strand A. So forth and so on, all of the way down. That keeps each half of the twist 'self-contained', so that when it does come to time to take them down, you don't have 'cross tangling' between the two twists, and since you super detangled the hair, you shouldn't have tangling within strand A or B.

Also, the less often you get them wet, the less likely they are to start to try to lock up.

Very Interesting. Wet them less often? I'll keep that in mind. I've been rinsing daily, moisturizing, and doing a rose water/oil spritz. I know that I am going to have to detangle like a mad woman before I retwist. I'm just hoping that doesn't have to happen weekly. It took me 7 hours to do these twists and I absolutely love them, but... :nono:

Thanks Kiya!

Choklatekiss79

To be honest, I think the only way to keep them from locking is to twist my way. Don't mean to sound big-headed but I have tried to twist the way a lot of people do it, which is just wrapping two sections of hair around each other without doing anything else, and it looked like a recipe for tangles. If I keep my hair twisted, I hardly ever need to spend time detangling because my hair NEVER tangles or knots up. I keep my twists in for a long time BTW and wash twice a week, and except for the occasional few that might unravel, I have the easiest time with my hair.

My twisting method differs from others by the fact that I first twist each section/strand clockwise on its own before wrapping them around each other anticlockwise. This ensures the hairs in each section stay in their place and don't get tangled with those in the other strand. Undoing is also very easy as all I do is unwrap and then untwist each strand separately and hairs just separate with ease.

I will also add that I don't use products when in twists--but I don't know if that makes a difference at all. Mwedzi tried this twisting method and while she hated how skinny the twists looked, she found they hang longer and I think she said they didn't unravel when she washed. She didn't like the twist-out though from them so if that's what you plan to rock, the twist-out looks more like crimped locs so you've been forewarned. :lol:

And here's a demo of how easy it is to undo the twists even after several washes:

My twists after 8 washes in 4 weeks (sorry I forgot how huge the pic is :blush:):

Thanks Nonie! This looks similar to what Kiya suggested. 4 weeks huh? Wow! Someone else suggested that I check in on them at the end of the first week to see if I can push it another week. But, when I redo them, I'll definitely incorporate either your's or Kiya's method.

Thanks again!

Nonie

Sis, I couldn't have said the bold better. Believe it or not, that's the same thing I was tryna say with my ramble. :lachen: In my vid, I do it slowly to demonstrate the method but when doing my own hair, I go faster and JK's method is exactly how I do it.

JK, can you be my editor? :lol:

JustKiya

Sis, I couldn't have said the bold better. Believe it or not, that's the same thing I was tryna say with my ramble. :lachen: In my vid, I do it slowly to demonstrate the method but when doing my own hair, I go faster and JK's method is exactly how I do it.

JK, can you be my editor? :lol:

:lachen: Girl, a video is good, because I always feel like I'm confusing myself as I explain it - I'm glad that explanation was clear.

I also think twisting that way leaves you with a MUCH more defined twistout, too. :yep:

And I still need to watch your video - it's your clockwise/counterclockwise thing that always throws me off - I might be doing that, but I'm not doing it consciously.

Nonie

Girl, a video is good, because I always feel like I'm confusing myself as I explain it - I'm glad that explanation was clear.

I also think twisting that way leaves you with a MUCH more defined twistout, too.

And I still need to watch your video - it's your clockwise/counterclockwise thing that always throws me off - I might be doing that, but I'm not doing it consciously.

:lol: Don't let it throw you off. The point I try to make is I twist both A and B in the same direction, then cross them over in the opposite direction

I've seen some youtube vids where the strands are twisted in opposite directions before being wound around each other. That's not how I do it...and actually I'm not sure why anyone would do it that way.

See attachments for clarification. Excuse the lousy attempt to draw arrows. :lol: (Click on thumbnails, especially the second one to view)

Attachments

• not my way.JPG
    not my way.JPG
    2.2 KB · Views: 3
  • my way.JPG
    my way.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 15

Lucky's Mom

I will also add that I don't use products when in twists--but I don't know if that makes a difference at all. Mwedzi, who uses products, tried this twisting method so can tell you if products made her hair stick together or not. But while she hated how skinny the twists looked, she found they hang longer and I think she said they didn't unravel when she washed. She didn't like the twist-out though from them so if a twist-out is what you plan to rock later on, just know the twist-out looks more like crimped locs--you've been forewarned. :lol: All in all, I don't think she was disappointed by the method. It does take long until you get used to it, when you can do it faster.

OK - Miss Nonie.... My mom taught me how to twist this way, and techincally - If I am older than you - then - It is not Your Way....:lachen::lachen:

Ok - Totally joking!!!!

I twist this way as well - I have never known any other way.... It make the twists look pretty, and I also smooth my hair with product, while twisting.... :)

Thanks for videos as well nonie. Great visuals!