ok let's me honest

Kurlee

that's it exactly. afro hair is curly hair. they're just densely coiled, frizzy, separated, tiny curls. depending on how you style/use products/take care of your hair determines to what degree those tc's show.
thank you! We really need to change the perception we have about our hair:yep:

Kurlee

look at this woman hair it is beautiful and long and i think she is 4b her hair is WL i think she is on fotki here is the link
look at week 37 and 49

http://public.fotki.com/Sera252/all_about_hair/

this lady has beautiful hair as well and is 4b i think. her hair is long it look WL

http://public.fotki.com/Kemi21/hair/

if she isn't inspired by these ladies i'm stumped
Jus wanted to thank you for posting TRUE 4b HAIR. This will definitely help. I see so many people who say they are 4's and have hair like kelis:nono::rolleyes:

Platinum

Thank you for creating this thread. I have the same type of hair and I'm really considering going natural :grin:. (I'm not ready for a BC, though). I'm subscribing to this...

Jynkx

my daughter has 4a/b hair and it is down to WL. i have seen lots of 4's with long hair. you have to consider the "stretch" factor.

locabouthair

There are many on this board with very long, natural type 4 hair. :yep:

Nay comes to mind first since she is one of my hair idols. Unless she's keeping it at waist, her 4a hair is probably tailbone length or longer by now. :) And didn't Faith have waist length, natural 4b hair?

And you too isis, you're 4b almost MBL!:yep:

Every time I think about giving up on this hair thing, I hear the dark skinned comment or you have to be mixed comment and it inspires me to keep continuing my journey.

Skin color is irrelevant to hair length. I have a light skin mother with hair never past her neck. Oh and she's a 4b. Too bad her skin color couldn't save her from that :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I think when we say "dark" we mean someone that a doubter can't give us the "she's mixed" excuse about. People of all shades and textures may have trouble gaining length, but for some reason in this society people still link skin tone and hair length. Sometimes it is hard to explain and show people that Black folk can grow hair. We can create believers if we can show all the ladies with beautiful lengths.:yep:

Jynkx

I think when we say "dark" we mean someone that a doubter can't give us the "she's mixed" excuse about. People of all shades and textures may have trouble gaining length, but for some reason in this society people still link skin tone and hair length. Sometimes it is hard to explain and show people that Black folk can grow hair. We can create believers if we can show all the ladies with beautiful lengths.:yep:

i thought we were here busting up those very stero types.

DeepBluSea

i thought we were here busting up those very stero types.

I think a lot of women here are busting those sterotypes, but at the same time remember we are for the most part very PC on this website. If you say something out the box, you will get cut down with the quickness. Every once and a while (when the question is not asked directly), you will hear the "good hair vs bad hair", "I wish I was 3 instead of 4," "3 hair grows better than 4," type of statements. And I don't have to mention what we hear from people on the street. So, we have a long way to go.

Last edited:

ebonylocs

i wanted to express how hard it was to find more than a handful of girls without permed hair, dark skin(yes i said it) with long hair.
so, once again...
is there anyone on this board with around 4a type hair past armpit length not permed or texturized just natural hair?
Yes, check out that "Anyone 100% Black?" thread. Some ladies (even some straight from Africa that can trace their ancestors back several generations) confirmed that they were 100% of Black African descent, and had grown their hair.
One example is Sonce (100% Nigerian), who has 4B natural hair that's waist length when stretched. She also has a fotki album.

NB: Just wanted to point out that skin colour is not a reliable indicator of % of (Sub-Saharan) African blood. We all have siblings who are a different shade from us, although we come from the same genetic sample. E.g. my sis is quite a bit darker than me. So someone might look at my hair, and think I have it because of the *few* drops of European/ other blood in me, but then look at her and think she is a suitable role model because of her dark skin. When really, what they should be looking at is hair type - because my hair is weaker than my sister's and *all things remaining equal*, has a harder time growing than hers. So I'm a better role model for someone with 4b very dense, but fine-stranded hair, while she is a better role model for someone with very dense, thick-stranded hair.

gymfreak336

There are lots of natural ladies that have long hair. Some members have provided you with great links for her to check out

If after all of that she still isn't receptive then let it go. Dont waste your time. A closed mind can't be receptive to accepting new information that might challenge and change the way one had orginally percieved themselves and others. In order for her to ever reach any of her hair goals, all the orginal notions and assumptions about hair and the corresponding "blackness" has to be let go. If she can't do that then no matter what you show her of help her do, she won't ever be where she wants to be.

nodisrespect

I can't believe someone would STILL be so closed minded after seeing many of the women on this board with APL and longer who are clearly NOT mixed. Like, I would be so sad if the OP's cousin looked at photos and still decided that only mixed black women could have long hair. That's one of the things that converted me to good hair care so quickly - that so many of these women were clearly black in the same general way we all are black (i.e. regardless of fourth or fifth generation mixing of like a 5th of white blood). Once I saw pictures I was immediately convinced.

PinkSkates

Hi OP...I'm 4a natural. I have no chemicals in my hair whatsoever. And I'm all black (you guys know what I mean by "all black".)
My hair is almost full MBL. I hope you are successful in helping your cousin free her mind from this stereotype that has plagued us black women for decades.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I know you ask this in honestly and you really want to impress upon your friend/cousin that everyone can grow their hair. But the truth is its not easy to grow your hair no matter what your texture is- some are fortunate and have to go through nothing and their hair will grow some have type 3b - 3c hair and it still doesn't grow long so anyone she sees on here went through some stuff to get that hair. I am a 3b - 3c and I think I have 4a in there not so sure and I have been at shoulder length for over a year now. I been working hard to get my hair past shoulder length and I did it only to have to cut it back to shoulder length. Its kind of like belittling the hard work all those women went through. If she wants to get long hair she is going to have to work hard like everyone else to get it and not worry about how easy one texture is over the other because its work regardless. Just my opinion

I agree with you. I get tired of seeing that 3's don't really "count" because it's just so easy:rolleyes:. Sometimes i just want to throw my hands up.

_belle

im not even mad at her. . . its more so all the people that want to wail on her like that did that other chick that made the post KNOWING damn well before they got on lhcf they were sayin/thinkin the say stuff. . . many of you broads just push a button with me. step off that horse before I kick u off. . . actin out and stuff, ya'll KNOW better. be grown like u claim u are and start actin the way u preach in your sigs.

BonnieB

Hello, I am 110% natural (I press every 3-4 months and maybe on special occasions) and my hair texture is 4a/3c. My hair has some serious curls, puff, and fluff and some shrinkage.

I am AFRICAN (Ghana) and West Indian (Trinidad) and my hair only needs moisture to grow but i like to more when i feel to. My length?... Idk.. where it lands is what it is.

No matter what your cousin should just look at all of the profiles and if she still has doubts then thats on her and we would continue to do what we do and gain info on healthy hair tips etc. No matter what age, height, skin color, hair type/texture, or ethnicity we are.. EVERYONE's hair IS growing!

Last edited:

naturalgurl

Velvet comes to mind. She has waistlength natural 4a BEAUTIFUL hair. One of my idols for sure! Soon to be me. I'm at BSL stretched and scraping APL unstretched now. I can't wait! Just as long as it stays healthy! Maybe I'm too light, but I'm not mixed. I've had the comment that I'm high yellow and have 4b hair. #1, I'm not high yellow, I'm a reddish brown and #2 you don't have to be a certain color to have certain types of hair. I have friends who are nice deep chocolate brown( and not mixed) with 3a hair. So I don't know.

Last edited:

Jynkx

i just wanna add this.........not all mixed girls have the same hair either. my best friend is mixed and her hair is 4a/b. just like we have some not mixed girls with 3b/c. hair is hair no matter whos head its on or what color they are.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
i just wanna add this.........not all mixed girls have the same hair either. my best friend is mixed and her hair is 4a/b. just like we have some not mixed girls with 3b/c. hair is hair no matter whos head its on or what color they are.
So true. I'm not mixed and my hair is in the 3's.

Jynkx

pokahontas makes my point!

when are WE gonna stop doing this to US ?????? the whole good/bad hair thing is so played out.

ebonylocs

pokahontas makes my point!

when are WE gonna stop doing this to US ?????? the whole good/bad hair thing is so played out.
Yes, but let us not be holy holy and PC to the point of being dishonest.

Yes, Pocanhontas might say she's not mixed, and she means it, but all of us can look at her and know that a good proportion of her genetic make-up is NOT Sub-Saharan African. So she might have two "Black" parents, but they had some mixture going on in the line at some point. Significant mixture too. More than the average "Black" person who has one or two drops of Non-African blood. That's just fact.

So let's be real. People with more African blood are more *likely* to have tighter coils, unless they are North African or from *some* (not all) groups in Somalia or Ethiopia.

We can acknowledge this at the same time as we can assert that people like Sonce with 100% Sub-Saharan African blood can grown their hair to waist length if they moisturise and protect.

lovelymissyoli

I haven't taken the time to read all the responses but I will say that I always use these Fotki's as examples for the naysayers:

**These are natural Black women with naturally kinky hair!**

http://members.fotki.com/Maestradiva77/about/
http://members.fotki.com/Delushious/about/
http://members.fotki.com/Sera252/about/
http://members.fotki.com/Bright--Eyes/about/
http://public.fotki.com/jngn/
http://members.fotki.com/Poetist/about/
http://public.fotki.com/browneyedgrl2/

Hopefully this will help your friend/cousin/sister (...I don't remember her relationship to you). I can understand where she's coming from because I too only look for inspiration from those with a similar hair type as mine.

anja1970

I agree with your cousin. I see many mixed women on here or women that look like they have some traces of something with long hair, but not too many darker non mixed sistahs with long hair.

my question is.. is it gonna take a natural person double the time to have length that is noticeable (da hang)? I dont know tons of natural females with long natural hair. Here in atlanta, I see many nappy short fros, dreads etc thats it.

I asked a question several weeks ago with no answer about how to smooth the edges of cnapp hair and no one responded. I am hating being natural for the second time. My edges are nappy and the new growth is wavy. I would not have an issue with the rest of my hair if I could get the hair line to smooth down. GEls, creams, wax, etc do not work.. I hate this!:wallbash:

JustKiya

I agree with your cousin. I see many mixed women on here or women that look like they have some traces of something with long hair, but not too many darker non mixed sistahs with long hair.

my question is.. is it gonna take a natural person double the time to have length that is noticeable (da hang)? I dont know tons of natural females with long natural hair. Here in atlanta, I see many nappy short fros, dreads etc thats it.

I asked a question several weeks ago with no answer about how to smooth the edges of cnapp hair and no one responded. I am hating being natural for the second time. My edges are nappy and the new growth is wavy. I would not have an issue with the rest of my hair if I could get the hair line to smooth down. GEls, creams, wax, etc do not work.. I hate this!:wallbash:

Have you tried Oyin's Burnt Sugar? Have you tried a Caramel Treatment (it's supposed to really smooth and soften hair - I love it - I'll see if I can find & bump the thread for you). Have you tried using gel/pomade and then smoothing it down with a scarf? Have you checked out http://www.cnappymenow.com/ ?? It's a forum all for cNapps?

You should check out some of the albums above - I know wonderstarr & sonce are natural....

And I don't think most naturals will ever have hair that displays it's true length without manipulation/twists/braids - that's just an aspect of being natural. mscoco face is a natural, BSL cNapp - but her hair looks barely shoulder length unstretched.