Transitioning 4Z hair....

BklynHeart

Yeah, my natural hair is COARSE!!!!!!!! I haven't permed since January of this year and have been wearing individual braids since. The problem is, the two textures are extreme (natural/relaxed), and I get a lot of breakage trying to comb through it. Even the braiders hate to see me coming because they have issues parting my hair.:lol: Plus, I'm armpit length, and this last time I used 5 PACKS of hair!!!!!

What products can I used to soften the newgrowth? And, should I just keep my hair cornrowed so I can comb it every couple of weeks instead of every 2 months with box braids?

i have 4Z hair and i followed trimbride's s-curl recipe: half s-curl half water, a few drops of oil. it worked liked nothing else has to soften my new growth. and i have some HARD hair. hope this helps.

BklynHeart said:
What products can I used to soften the newgrowth?

As a fellow 4ZZZ/coarse I can help with the bolded part: my new baby, Silicon Mix can definitely help soften the new growth.

When I wore my hair natural, I used to do all the detangling before going to the braider and go to her with five or six big plaits (a la Celie of The Color Purple). It might also help if you ask the braider to part with the pointy end of a rattail comb and not part with an afro comb or comb through it -- just use her fingers (good luck with getting her to go along with you on that;) ).

:lol:
I should have known that I was not the only 4z on the board! I was playing with my newgrowth the other night and I just thought "4b my behind! These are definite Zs!"

I have half a bottle of S-Curl now so I will add some distilled water and a few drops of jojoba and/or castor oil to it! Thanks for that tip.

4ZZZZZZZ's UNITE!!!!!:lol:

Thanks ladies! I will get me some Silicon Mix, SCurl, and the next braid session I'll just get some cornrows.

girl get that s curl asap! your hair sounds just like mine, i swear i have never seen anyone with coarser hair than mine. even my hairdresser was like why is your hair so wirey? when i was natural s curl was the only thing that worked for me i tell all the naturals about it. it made my hair soooooo soft. even my friend who always talks about my brillo pad hair said my hair was softer when i used the s curl.

a 4bz with super thick coarse hair checking in. I feel ya, i'm transitioning BS length hair and it is no joke. S-curl really didn't work for me because it felt mushy and left my hair dry afterwards. My fave product so far has been Lacio Lacio for the new growth and I also do the coconut/lime mixture on my hair.
I also try to be really careful when combing, i usually do it in the shower while i have conditioner in it(usually Suave coconut) and the jibere comb has helped. i also comb from tip to root, i hold the roots of my hair and gently work the comb upwards.
My hair is so thick it won't even stay down in a ponytail and i do box braids for 2 months at a time.

Castor oil works great on my hair. It makes it super soft. I also do frequent conditioner washes which helps as well.

Back