ok let's me honest

Rae1234

is there anyone on this board with around 4a type hair past armpit length not permed or texturized just natural?

i was showing my cousin this board and she made a comment that kinda struck me! she said " i wonder how many girls are not mixed on that board with long hair" my cousin is a teenage girl and we have totally different hair types.
its easy for me to show her pictures of girls with similar texture to mine thats long.but her hair really has no curl definition. i was searching and searching through Fotki to find someone similar to her type so she can use them as a hair idol. i wanted to express how hard it was to find more than a handful of girls without permed hair, dark skin(yes i said it) with long hair.
so, once again...
is there anyone on this board with around 4a type hair past armpit length not permed or texturized just natural hair?
Pleas post a reply in this thread, so i can show my cousin.

thanks!:grin:

LadyKaypnyc

Well, I'll be past armpit length at the end of this month, I dark skinned, not mixed and I've had long hair my entire life:perplexed

anon123

tons. well, i don't know if "tons", but plenty. there's the infamous "anyone 100% black who has long hair" thread that you could search for, but i'm not sure if we want to go there again; it got ugly. apl is not very long. my bottom layer is just past apl and i am a 4b/cnapp/no curl def girl. there are lots. unless i'm not dark enough or something. :perplexed

Last edited:

fluffylocks

is there anyone on this board with around 4a type hair past armpit length not permed or texturized just natural?

i was showing my cousin this board and she made a comment that kinda struck me! she said " i wonder how many girls are not mixed on that board with long hair" my cousin is a teenage girl and we have totally different hair types.
its easy for me to show her pictures of girls with similar texture to mine thats long.but her hair really has no curl definition. i was searching and searching through Fotki to find someone similar to her type so she can use them as a hair idol. i wanted to express how hard it was to find more than a handful of girls without permed hair, dark skin(yes i said it) with long hair.
so, once again...
is there anyone on this board with around 4a type hair past armpit length not permed or texturized just natural hair?

That was said to me by family member also, that it couldnt happen for me because there were no darkskin females, everyone was probally mixed ect.-----

Im APL, but mostly relaxed and no pictures.

But there was a long thread...something like 100% black women--it was a callout for women who werent mixed or something for inspiration, and you can look in there if there arent to many responses here.

Kurlee

Queeny, Masterdiva 77 ummmmmmmm thats all i can think of. Most of the really long hair i see is 3ish and curly, so I don't think your cousin will think they "count". I hope you can inspire her, because it is very possible and common. I'm 4a and natural with APL hair:yep: but my hair is curly so I dunno if i count lol! If she takes care of her hair and moisturizes and does protective styles, she'll be fine. Also many people think their hair is not curly, because they comb it out all the time, but usually there is a curl pattern, I have RARELY seen a black person without a curl pattern in their hair.

Last edited:

SEMO

Queeny, Masterdiva 77 ummmmmmmm thats all i can think of. Most of the really long hair i see is 3ish and curly, so I don't think your cousin will think they "count". I hope you can inspire her, because it is very possible and common. I'm 4a and natural with APL hair:yep: but my hair is curly so I dunno if i count lol! If she takes care of her hair and moisturizes and does protective styles, she'll be fine. Also many people think their hair is not curly, because they comb it out all the time, but usually there is a curl pattern, I have RARELY seen a black person without a curl pattern in their hair.

I agree. I can personally rock a pretty good afro when I comb my hair :yep:.

LadyKaypnyc

ITA.............:yep:

Isis

There are many on this board with very long, natural type 4 hair. :yep:

Nay comes to mind first since she is one of my hair idols. Unless she's keeping it at waist, her 4a hair is probably tailbone length or longer by now. :) And didn't Faith have waist length, natural 4b hair?

pinkchocolatedaisy

I think that is my case. For some reason I have always believed I had this frizzy uncontrollable natural hair and no curl to it. But here I am 13wks post and I see my curly/tightly waved NG and I love it! I think growing up my mom just combed it out (hard), thus creating the frizz factor... I'm learning too. I think we all have some type of curl pattern. There are just so many...silly me I used to think all black people had the same hair - unless they were mixed. :rolleyes:

Also many people think their hair is not curly, because they comb it out all the time, but usually there is a curl pattern, I have RARELY seen a black person without a curl pattern in their hair.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I have 4a/b type hair and my hair is armpit length when straightened. I wear my hair in a blow-out fro all the time.

anon123

I think it's also going to depend on what she calls "curly". The very ends, about the last 10% of my hair, can coil. The rest cannot, as can be seen in my fotki of my washed and uncombed hair. And to get even that 10% it can't even have been combed any time *recently*, as can be seen in my fotki of my washed and uncombed hair that had been combed a couple days before washing. But this generally doesn't count in the non hair-board world as having "curly" hair. If it did, anyone with a buckshot would have "curly" hair cuz all a buckshot is is a tiny tight curl. To continue with the "let's be honest" theme, I don't think her sister means anyone who can get a buckshot. And I can't believe that this hair type is that uncommon.

cmw45

I agree completely. I have sorority sisters who always ask about my "curls" and look at me sideways when I say their hair is just as curly if they would stop frying it with the hotcomb.

tkj25

that's it exactly. afro hair is curly hair. they're just densely coiled, frizzy, separated, tiny curls. depending on how you style/use products/take care of your hair determines to what degree those tc's show.

blazingthru

I know you ask this in honestly and you really want to impress upon your friend/cousin that everyone can grow their hair. But the truth is its not easy to grow your hair no matter what your texture is- some are fortunate and have to go through nothing and their hair will grow some have type 3b - 3c hair and it still doesn't grow long so anyone she sees on here went through some stuff to get that hair. I am a 3b - 3c and I think I have 4a in there not so sure and I have been at shoulder length for over a year now. I been working hard to get my hair past shoulder length and I did it only to have to cut it back to shoulder length. Its kind of like belittling the hard work all those women went through. If she wants to get long hair she is going to have to work hard like everyone else to get it and not worry about how easy one texture is over the other because its work regardless. Just my opinion

RegaLady

My husband's sister has long hair (WL), is dark skinned, not mixed and is BEAUTIFUL. I am trying to find out what she does. She has never told. I would post a pic of her, but I would need her permission.:ohwell:

InnerSoul

that's it exactly. afro hair is curly hair. they're just densely coiled, frizzy, separated, tiny curls. depending on how you style/use products/take care of your hair determines to what degree those tc's show.

In total agreement !! Twist outs are a great way to enhance your own natural curls!

rosie

There are quite a few women on here with 4b hair that is longer than armpit length.

Kemi (Sonce), MsCoCoFace, Faith come to mind first.

There are a lot of threads for 4b roll calls. I think that one was on the front page yesterday. I'm sure of it, because I posted to it.

I am armpit length. Have been for a little bit. Haven't had much hair all my life, but au naturale seems to be the thing for me.

I am the darkest of the bunch (IMO), always have been.

My hair is not what I consider long.

(Isn't it funny how your perception is situational. Up until the last year and a half, I thought the neck length was long hair. Now at APL +/- an inch, I think that to be long, hair has to be at BSL or more.)

But give me some time and 5 more inches and I can call it that.

My siggy pic is my hiar with a mild press and curl.

Your cousin should be encouraged. Hair grows for everyone. All types of hair can break and looke jacked up. The right regimen can make anyone's hair thrive. For me, braids and leaving it alone works along with moisture, moisture, moisture.

Fine 4s

so, once again...

Dang, I don't have many pics really but i'm DEF a 4b and the front of my hair has no curl definition unless it's wet, wet, wet under the shower wet. But check out Kemi21's fotki or her name on LHCF is Sonce I believe now THAT right THERE...or wonderstarr (check the spelling) and many others....

hunnybunny81

I know you ask this in honestly and you really want to impress upon your friend/cousin that everyone can grow their hair. But the truth is its not easy to grow your hair no matter what your texture is- some are fortunate and have to go through nothing and their hair will grow some have type 3b - 3c hair and it still doesn't grow long so anyone she sees on here went through some stuff to get that hair. I am a 3b - 3c and I think I have 4a in there not so sure and I have been at shoulder length for over a year now. I been working hard to get my hair past shoulder length and I did it only to have to cut it back to shoulder length. Its kind of like belittling the hard work all those women went through. If she wants to get long hair she is going to have to work hard like everyone else to get it and not worry about how easy one texture is over the other because its work regardless. Just my opinion

Forgive me Miss Trudy, I mean no disrespect so let me say that first off! I just wanted to say that I disagree with something you said. You said that it is not easy to grow your hair no matter what your texture and I have to disagree with you. Now if you're saying that your personal experience has been difficult, than I think thats cool. However generalizing and speaking for everyone else I don't think is very fair.I believe its all about how you look at it...

My perspective is that hair grows very easily, the issue lies with retention( assuming your trying to gain length)...I believe that how much effort you devote to retaining length isn't necessary correlated to what you end up with. Working hard doesn't necessarily mean you're going to have long hair. Just like not doing much to your hair doesn't meant you can't have longer hair. You said so yourself that you've been working very hard to get your hair past shoulder length, and though i'm not sure what your regimen consists of....it seems from what you're saying that its very hard work nonetheless and for you, you feel as if it hasn't been paying off. I'm sure there are many ladies who identify with your struggle, regardless of hair type...but there are also those whose journey to retain length has not been met with that much struggle. I think its situational, and saying upfront that she is going to have to work hard like everyone else may not be true. I think she may have to work hard at breaking bad habits that she might have right now that have prevented her from retaining length in the past, but once the bad habits are broken...unless there is some medical issue...her hair is going to grow...

Its kind of like losing weight...some people will say that it takes very hard work, but as I stated before its all about attitude. I think it takes discipline and breaking bad habits...which some people will view as hard work, where you have others that see losing weight as something, when the proper tactics are applied...can be easily achieved....

Just my two cents!

nodisrespect

ITA.

My perspective is that hair grows very easily, the issue lies with retention( assuming your trying to gain length)...I believe that how much effort you devote to retaining length isn't necessary correlated to what you end up with.

I think this is the same thing she was saying... she didn't necessarily say it was a problem of growing hair out the scalp, just to go from one length to another - which obviously requires retention. Apparently her cousin is having issues retaining length so I don't see how it would be a good idea to tell her she might not necessarily have to work hard? Not sure I understand what or why you are making a distinction here...

InNeedofHairapy

ITA.

I think this is the same thing she was saying... she didn't necessarily say it was a problem of growing hair out the scalp, just to go from one length to another - which obviously requires retention. Apparently her cousin is having issues retaining length so I don't see how it would be a good idea to tell her she might not necessarily have to work hard? Not sure I understand what or why you are making a distinction here...

I agree w/ this

hunnybunny81

I suppose my issue was with her saying that anyone she sees on the board went through some stuff to achieve what they have. My issue is with the generality of that statement...and I don't necessarily believe that to be the case. Now understandably if her cousin has bad habits, yes its going to some require work to break those habits. I just feel that it would be a little bit discouraging if I was told that the only way I'm going to achieve results is by working really really hard and that I'm going to go through a lot of stuff to see those results, when in reality I might slack a little bit(cause I'm human) and still be able to see results.

And I suppose when I think of working hard, I don't mean by breaking bad habits( abusing heat, etc etc) more so how many things you have to do to your hair

If I'm still not making any sense, let me know and I'll try to clarify!

Last edited:

AfroKink

so, once again...

There is a thread running around with BSL 4b naturals
Honesty is APL or so. http://public.fotki.com/Honesty/mi-vida/my_hair_story/

We concluded in another thread that it's rare or most of them are relaxed. I habe no curl pattern in my hair. My hair clumps together when washed, but there is no curl and there is no pattern. I'll be APL some time next year.

Lys

Attachments

• STA72136.jpg
    STA72136.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 51
  • STA72139.jpg
    STA72139.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

AfroKink

As posted my Tenny in this thread: Anyone w/ 4b Waistlength HAIR

I think they're a mix of 4b, 4a, 4a/b

creename: msaisha1033 (member of Nappturality)
How long has she been natural: 6 years
Password(if any): snax
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/catheadface/

Screename: cher79 (member of Nappturality)
How long has she been natural:
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/cher79/

Screename: Alken4100 (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any): cowrie
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/alken41100/

Screename: Maestradiva77 (member of Nappturality)
How long has she been natural: 5 years(?)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/Maestradiva77/

Screename: AFashionSlave (member of Nappturality and LHCF)
Password(if any): nappyhair
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/AFashionSlave/

Screename: Melanizm13 (Member of Nappturality)
How long has she been natural: 3 years
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/melanizm13/

Screename: V. Merie (member of Nappturality)
How long has she been natural: 8 years
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/merie/

Screename: NaturallyBeautiful (?) (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/naturallybeautiful2/

Screename: SweetAfrica (member of Nappturality)
How long has she been natural: 5+ years
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/SweetAfrica/

Screename: KhaShaNaps (?) (member of LHCF)
How long has she been natural: 10 years
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/KhaShasKnaps/
Note:
Kha and Sha are two different people. Kha has long hair but you should check out both albums. Great two-for-one deal, lol.

Screename: NaturalAries (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/NaturalAries/

Screename: PatientIsMyVirtue (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/KARSWILLIAMS/

Screename: napturallyme (member of Nappturality)
How long has she been natural: 5 years
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/napturallyme

Screename: SoulfulSista (member of Nappturality)
How long has she been natural: 3+ years
Password(if any): Nappturality
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/SoulfulSista/

Screename: NappyDiva7 (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/NappyDiva7/

AfroKink

Screename: Spiral (member of Nappturality)
How long has she been natural: 4 years
Password(if any): brownkinks
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/spiral/

Screename: Naturalay (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any): wait
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/LadyNaturalay/

Screename: law (member of Nappturality and NaturallyCurly)
How long has she been natural: 7 years
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stormrisingnow/my_photos

Screename: crazycoil (?) (member of Nappturality)
How long has she been natural: 8 years
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://www.crazycoil.sili.net/intro.html

Screename: (?) (member of NaturallyCurly)
How long has she been natural: 10+ years (?)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/2twisted/

Screename: chocol8diva714 (member of Nappturality)
How long has she been natural: 5 years (?)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://photos.yahoo.com/chocolate_diva714

Screename: naturalnyc/babyblue (member of Nappturality and LHCF)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/browneyedgrl2/

Screename: NaturalC (?) (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/NaturalC/

Screename: Deecoily (owner of Nappturality)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/Deecoily/

Screename: Potterville (member of NaturallyCurly)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/potterville/

Screename: MyHairUndone (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/MyHairUndone/

Screename: Sekhmet (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/difabu/albums

Screename: Charli (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://www.nappturality.com/in...post&p=1091748
Note:
Charli doesn't have an album, but you can find a pic of her hair in the Can We See Some Twist/braid Out Pix Please...., I would love to see all those waves thread.

Screename: mabrown412 (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any): nappyhair
Photo Album URL: hhttp://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=mabrown412

Screename: DreamyPisces (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://angelfire.com/journal2/dreamypisces

Screename: Noko (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://photos.yahoo.com/loco_noko/

Screename: Sera25 (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any): serious
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/Sera252/

Screename: rejohn (member of Nappturality)
How long has she been natural: 2 years
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/1000816

Screename: Blackanese (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://photos.yahoo.com/msgoodson

Screename: Siennasilk (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/siennasilk/3_years_and_beyond/

Screename: carlasher (member of Nappturality)
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://public.fotki.com/carlasher

Screename: QTPie
Password(if any):
Photo Album URL: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/j030977/albums