Hair ends have white tips- anyone?

jamaicancurry

I was examining my hair ends yesterday when I noticed that some of the ends have white tips. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Does this mean that I just need a trim? Are they a result of split ends? Thanks in advance

gymfreak336

White tips on the ends does usually represent damage or split ends. I would just clip them off one by one if it isn't many of them. If there are more, just do a light dusting.

HoneyDew

I have those sometimes. To me, it is a precursor to a split end. Like this:

or

Last edited:

jamaicancurry

Aaah! thanks ladies. I guess I am overdue for a trim- It's been 6 months:eek::perplexed

OT: does anyone know how to say "trim, not cut, hair ends" en espanol?

sareca

Yeah, it's called [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]trichorrhexis nodosa and it can appear anywhere along the hair shaft. That's it close up. [/FONT]

(http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_74.htm)

I had them for years and years and you basically have to stop doing whatever caused them and then cut off the existing ones. You can cut them one at a time if you don't have many.

jamaicancurry

sareca said:
Yeah, it's called [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]trichorrhexis nodosa and it can appear anywhere along the hair shaft. That's it close up. [/FONT]

(http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_74.htm)

I had them for years and years and you basically have to stop doing whatever caused them and then cut off the existing ones. You can cut them one at a time if you don't have many.

I don't use heat except when I deep condition- what else can cause them?

Missi

I noticed that too w/ me: after I take a pic of my hair: i see little white tips: i figured they were the spots where my hair snapped at

jamaicancurry

I just Googled it. It can be caused by :
Friction
Harsh brushing
Excessive shampooing
Relaxers
Swimming in salt water

As for me, brushing might be the culprit

sareca

jamaicancurry said:
I don't use heat except when I deep condition- what else can cause them?

That's too weird! I had them and I didn't use heat that much either. :eek: I think mine was caused by severe dryness and rough handling. I don't have any now and my current regimen is basically:
  1. low-poo (I only use heavily diluted poo)
  2. oil pre-poo (again my hair can't be stripped of oil. it hates that)
  3. low-manipulation (both wet and dry). I wash in 5 plaits, I only detangle under running water (and I don't detangle every wash), don't brush my hair at all... EVER, and I only comb with wide-tooth seamless combs.

ETA: Oh and keep it moisturized. I noticed a few nodes (that I promptly cut off) after my last takedown. I was only moisturizing my kinky twists once every couple days :naughty: I have to use moisturizers daily. Aveda DR has been a Godsend for helping keep my hair moist. I've also discovered my hair loves oat protein. It adds slip and locks in moisture better than any product I've used.

Last edited:

gymfreak336

sareca said:
That's too weird! I had them and I didn't use heat that much either. :eek: I think mine was caused by severe dryness and rough handling. I don't have any now and my current regimen is basically:
  1. low-poo (I only use heavily diluted poo)
  2. oil pre-poo (again my hair can't be stripped of oil. it hates that)
  3. low-manipulation (both wet and dry). I wash in 5 plaits, I only detangle under running water (and I don't detangle every wash), don't brush my hair at all... EVER, and I only comb with wide-tooth seamless combs.

ETA: Oh and keep it moisturized. I noticed a few nodes (that I prompt cut off) after my last takedown. I was only moisturizing my kinky twists once every couple days :naughty: I have to use moisturizers daily and Aveda DR has been a Godsend for helping keep my hair moist. I've also discovered my hair loves oat protein. It adds slip and locks in moisture better than any product I've used.

I have started pre-pooing on a regular basis and it does help alot. I notice less shedding and when I use aveda damage remedy shampoo, I notice less visible signs of manipulation damage.

sareca

gymfreak336 said:
I have started pre-pooing on a regular basis and it does help alot. I notice less shedding and when I use aveda damage remedy shampoo, I notice less visible signs of manipulation damage.

I've never tried the poo. I love condish tho. I'll add that to my wish list. Thanks. :rosebud:
It's nice to know who's hair has trichorrhexis nodosa tendencies and what products they use.

la flaca

jamaicancurry said:
Aaah! thanks ladies. I guess I am overdue for a trim- It's been 6 months:eek::perplexed

OT: does anyone know how to say "trim, not cut, hair ends" en espanol?

Solo las puntas, Just the ends :D

wheezy807

white bulbs at the end of your hair just means that they are the oldest stands. doesn't mean you have to trim them or they are damaged. I have them, you have them, we all have them.

zzirvingj

Can some1 post what this looks like?

And are you guys saying that you can see white tips on the ends of the hairs on your head?? I've never seen this before.

sareca

zzirvingj said:
Can some1 post what this looks like?

And are you guys saying that you can see white tips on the ends of the hairs on your head?? I've never seen this before.

This is really exaggerated. It had to have been caused by a fire, but you get the idea.

HoneyDew

sareca said:
This is really exaggerated. It had to have been caused by a fire, but you get the idea.

Whoa that must be a bad case! :eek:

I never see that. It will be like one strand out of many. Sometimes if I have breakage, one that snaps has a light section on the end where it snapped.