APL 2012 Challenge

lamaria211

faithVA said:
NikkiQ, pookaloo83, lamaria211, Meritamen, gforceroy, TheNDofUO, PinkPeony,

Thank you ladies for offering to be my progress partner. I am being picky though. I am looking for someone close to my current length. So I posted a pic for comparison. Some of you are quite a few inches ahead of me. And the MN ladies are going to quickly pass me up. I'm cheering you on but I need someone that I can keep up with. Some of you ladies hair grows out of your head like weeds

So here is where my hair is. So which of you ladies are between SL and CBL?

Ill post a pic later today

lamaria211

Today moisturized half my head with SM Curl enhancing smoothie and the other half with Qhemet BRBC they feel just about the same:)

NikkiQ

lamaria211 said:
Today moisturized half my head with SM Curl enhancing smoothie and the other half with Qhemet BRBC they feel just about the same:)

Keep us posted on how they hold up throughout the day. Nice experiment you got going on lol

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

faithVA

[USER=317281 said:
JazzyOleBabe[/USER];16033799]@faithVA

I am your twin. I am at the same location per judging from your photo. I, however do not feel very ambitious about the September time line for myself. I posted in here earlier that my expectation/graduation date would be December 2012. Shaving 3 months off my estimated date has me kind of nervous. I can try to keep you motivated but you will be surpassing me.

I don't think I will make it by September either. But if I put my focus on December, then I won't feel motivated at all :lol:

I respect what you are saying. Stick to your original December date because it will keep you feeling motivated.

faithVA

Postpardim shedding *crying* I thought it wouldnt happen to me im scared to touch my hair:(

:bighug: I'm sorry. I know you don't want it to happen. But the good news is as your body adjust it will recover. Just keep loving your hair and taking care of your body and your hair will flourish.

Mjon912

Postpardim shedding *crying* I thought it wouldnt happen to me im scared to touch my hair:(

Aww...I've been there to, it sucks... I wish I would of gotten some advice before I cut my hair...what I've learned to help with it is try garlic pills and garlic deep conditions...I hope it doesn't get to bad but don't cut unless you feel you have to...I cut from BSL to SL and cried like a baby...I actually remember reading a post about this and there were lots of other useful responses, I'm going to search for it. . . . I can't find it =\ I suck at searches

MJ saying hello...hope everyone is enjoying this holiday weekend...I'm waiting for the hubby to get home so we can go to this cook out...my idea of Protective styling with braids isn't going to work...it's fine when I'm in the house but I went to put on my outfit to go out and I look like a 12 yr old playing in her moms clothes...I already have a young face and these braids make me look like a kid:nono: I will be taking them out tonight when I get home...I might even take then out before I go if I have enough time...I need to find a new PS:ohwell:

Last edited:

faithVA

...it's fine when I'm in the house but I went to put on my outfit to go out and I look like a 12 yr old playing in her moms clothes...I already have a young face and these braids make me look like a kid:nono: I will be taking them out tonight when I get home...I might even take then out before I go if I have enough time...I need to find a new PS:ohwell:

Not to laugh at you but the description is so cute.

faithVA

@faithVA, let's do this...I think our length is comparable. Sept may be a long shot but I'm willing to buckle down and try to make it.

Alright gvin89, Let's do this. I'm doing the CG method right now for another 4 to 6 weeks and laying off the protein. Cowashing 3x a week, Dcing 1x a week. Washing with mudwash 1x a month. I'm doing a search and destroy as I feel like it. My strands are so fine its hard to find which strand the SSK is on. :nono: And I am sealing my ends with butter on a regular basis. I hope all of this together will help with my retention.

jprayze

claud-uk said:
Rinsed out my oil pre-poo from yesterday. Spritzed with Vitale Porosity, then Black Tea, then applied a light protein mask for 10 minutes. Rinsed, then applied moisturizing condition of:

AVG
Hollywood Beauty Argan Conditioner
Honey (above ingredients in equal amounts)
Jojoba Oil
Avocado Oil

Left to sit for about an hour then sealed with Soy/Coconut/EVOO before rinsing out three 2 hours later.

Hair feels exceptionally strong, only had 3 tiny breakages through whole wash/rinse process. I will keep doing a light protein treatment weekly as long as my hair continues to feel strong and moisturized!

What's AVG?

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Hey ladies!

jprayze AVG = Aloe Vera Gel

faithVA I don't think I'll make it before Dec. The back of my hair wasn't retaining so well over the last 3 months or so. I only realised a little while ago that the twists at the back are rubbing against the base of my neck. So I figure that's the cause. :ohwell:
I have decided to do more updos...and see if that helps.

NikkiQ

bajandoc86 said:
Hey ladies!

jprayze AVG = Aloe Vera Gel

faithVA I don't think I'll make it before Dec. The back of my hair wasn't retaining so well over the last 3 months or so. I only realised a little while ago that the twists at the back are rubbing against the base of my neck. So I figure that's the cause. :ohwell:
I have decided to do more updos...and see if that helps.

I can't wait to see your up dos. Everything else you do is GORGEOUS!!!!

pookaloo83

*sigh* wore my hair in a braidout. It was nice for a minute but then the humidity took my curls and poofed it up. Smh

Sent from my iPhone 4s using LHCF

PinkPeony

faithVA I honestly don't know where Iam lengthwise.
My last official length check was at the start of the challenge in november, I think I took a backshot before spring.
My hair is in cornrows so I really don't know lol

jessicarabbit

I have an update ladies! So, I took down my braids tonight. I started off with a HOT, covered that with a bag and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then i began finger combing out/taking down the braids, very gently and slowly. There wasnt much tangling or breakage, until I finished taking them all down. Oh. My. God. breakage city. At first I thought it was just shed hair, but it just kept coming out! in clumps! So, in fear, i clarified my hair. Then I whipped up an egg, aphogee balancing conditioner, and olive oil and applied that very generously to my hair. Let that sit. rinse out. Not so much breakage city any more, more like breakage town. Now im sitting under some black tea, lavender tea, and bamboo tea, under a baggie for 30 min. I THINK i may have rescued my hair somewhat, but I really thought I was taking care of my hair with the braids! guess i'll have to step it up next time around. But on a more positive note, my hair has gotten noticably much thicker and longer. no pics to june 30 though, hee hee :)

claud-uk

That sounds like a damn good mix of products!! Even my hair is a little jealous right now after reading that lol

I tell you what Nikki, that was an "emergency" treatment I did for breakage about a month ago and it cut the breakage there and then, but it was the start of a realization for me.

I was reading about mixing moisture and protein 80/20 each time you do your hair instead of focusing on moisture for a few weeks and then protein for one week, so I thought that because my hair reacted so well to the protein treatment in general (the NG and the relaxed ends) that I'd try see if I could make this work for me on a more regular basis.

So I did a oil+moisture pre-poo / light protein / moisture DC the next week with the same results, and again last Sunday, and I've had the same results each time - strong, healthy-feeling hair, soft and moisturized, tangle free. Each strand feels thicker, stronger, fortified, smooth... :yep:

Protein + Moisture balanced together each time I really think this is the way forward, instead of going on guesswork, or a diary, or waiting for a disaster before taking corrective action.

Sorry to drone on, just so excited to think I might have found something that will give me guaranteed results every week.

livinthevida

Good Morning Ladies!!!!

I hope everyone had a fun weekend! I only have a few minutes and am posting a recap of my weekend hair :grin: this set of pictures here shows the difference between my dry hair with no roller set on Fri (Friday hair), waking plait braid out on semi-damp hair (Saturday hair), and my go-to FAV style roller setting with Organic Coconut Oil (OCO):

Attachments

• weekendhair.JPG
    weekendhair.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 42

livinthevida

Ladies here is a close up of my Friday hair :spinning: here you can see my greys are longer and much more visible in this set plus in my plait braid-out set than compare to the roller set: :yep:

Attachments

• afterFri_1.JPG
    afterFri_1.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 26
  • afterFri_2.JPG
    afterFri_2.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 25
  • afterFri_3.JPG
    afterFri_3.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 27
  • afterFritopview_4.JPG
    afterFritopview_4.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

livinthevida

Ladies here are my Saturday pics! I really like this bc even with my hair semi-wet the curls eventually dried smoother compared to Fri hair and that was with no roller set. I really like the way it dried out by end of day too :grin: plus there's plenty more greys growing out here:

Attachments

• upcloseback_Sat1.JPG
    upcloseback_Sat1.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 28
  • aviewfromthetop!_Sat2.JPG
    aviewfromthetop!_Sat2.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 27
  • totaldryendofday_Sat3.JPG
    totaldryendofday_Sat3.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

livinthevida

Ok ladies here is today - Monday's! set of hair! You know I love my roller setting with Organic Coconut Oil (OCO) and made sure to take plenty of up close pictures :grin:

Attachments

• Mon_1.JPG
    Mon_1.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Mon_2.JPG
    Mon_2.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Mon_3.JPG
    Mon_3.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Mon_4.JPG
    Mon_4.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Mon_5.JPG
    Mon_5.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 26

lamaria211

For the rest of the week (until washday) ill be using African Royale braid spray or misting water to moisturize my celies so I dont have to manipulate my hair at all. Im gonna use garlic shampoo (yaay I get to buy more poo) for every wash until the shedding stops

coolsista-paris

claud-uk said:
I tell you what Nikki, that was an "emergency" treatment I did for breakage about a month ago and it cut the breakage there and then, but it was the start of a realization for me.

I was reading about mixing moisture and protein 80/20 each time you do your hair instead of focusing on moisture for a few weeks and then protein for one week, so I thought that because my hair reacted so well to the protein treatment in general (the NG and the relaxed ends) that I'd try see if I could make this work for me on a more regular basis.

So I did a oil+moisture pre-poo / light protein / moisture DC the next week with the same results, and again last Sunday, and I've had the same results each time - strong, healthy-feeling hair, soft and moisturized, tangle free. Each strand feels thicker, stronger, fortified, smooth... :yep:

Protein + Moisture balanced together each time I really think this is the way forward, instead of going on guesswork, or a diary, or waiting for a disaster before taking corrective action.

Sorry to drone on, just so excited to think I might have found something that will give me guaranteed results every week.

this is great. i might have to try something out like this. my hair likes protein. im natural. my hair is fine and i dont want to undo it every week. but if i wash with braids it gets frizzy...annoying .

gforceroy

faithVA said:
NikkiQ, pookaloo83, lamaria211, Meritamen, gforceroy, TheNDofUO, PinkPeony,

Thank you ladies for offering to be my progress partner. I am being picky though. I am looking for someone close to my current length. So I posted a pic for comparison. Some of you are quite a few inches ahead of me. And the MN ladies are going to quickly pass me up. I'm cheering you on but I need someone that I can keep up with. Some of you ladies hair grows out of your head like weeds

So here is where my hair is. So which of you ladies are between SL and CBL?

faithVA I believe I am right where you are. I am CBL (nape) pretty much at the same length I was a few months ago. I would like the sides of my hair to be shoulder length/ collarbone when my nape reaches APL.

NikkiQ

lamaria211 said:
For the rest of the week (until washday) ill be using African Royale braid spray or misting water to moisturize my celies so I dont have to manipulate my hair at all. Im gonna use garlic shampoo (yaay I get to buy more poo) for every wash until the shedding stops

African Royale braid spray is the best for Celies. I used it all the time before I ran out. Super light,but moisturizing and has some pretty yummy ingredients.

Have you done any tea or coffee rinses to help with the shedding too?

NikkiQ

Made my MN mix yesterday and applied it already. I'm ready to get this party started! Lol