Help me control my shedding

grownupnai

@ some posters. my problem isn't breakage. I'm retaining length(albeit thinning length). My local black afro-shop started carrying garlic shampoo. I used the black tea initially which dramatically reduced my shedding but made it harder to detangle my hair. I think I've got it down with my moisturizing conditioner. I washed my hair last night with the queen helene garlic shampoo. My shedding is decreasing. I think the tea and garlic are really helping. Thank You all!!! Where would I be without my LHCF sisters in the struggle?

Pompous Blue

I've been making and using coffee oil since this thread started. Right now I have a pot (I use enameled cast iron) of coconut, sunflower, olive, hemp seed, jojoba oils (whatever oils I can find at home right now) with coffee. I will strain it some time this evening...

I'm always open to new (safe) ideas to control this constant shedding I have.
greenandchic I'm glad you posted this. I've been formulating a mixture in my mind for the next time I make my coffee oil. I'm thinking of sunflower, meadowfoam, pumpkin seed and jojoba oils.
@ some posters. my problem isn't breakage. I'm retaining length(albeit thinning length). My local black afro-shop started carrying garlic shampoo. I used the black tea initially which dramatically reduced my shedding but made it harder to detangle my hair. I think I've got it down with my moisturizing conditioner. I washed my hair last night with the queen helene garlic shampoo. My shedding is decreasing. I think the tea and garlic are really helping. Thank You all!!! Where would I be without my LHCF sisters in the struggle?
grownupnai
I'm so glad you've found something to help stem the excessive shedding. I know you'll be successful with consistency.

Pompous Blue

@Pompous Blue - Have you made your mix yet?
greenandchic

I made 2 – 8oz. oils using Meadowfoam seed oil only:
1 jar contains Amla, Brahmi, Bhringraj and Hibiscus Powders

1 jar contains ground-up Nettle, Horsetail and Earl Grey teas.

I poured 8 oz. of oil into two different jars and added the powders, put the tops on and set them aside. I’m letting them sit for 21 days and will begin using them 1-16-2012.

I am going to use these oils as pre-poos, hot oil treatments, scalp massages, adding to conditioners and butters…..the possibilities are endless.

Can’t wait to start using them.

greenandchic

greenandchic

I poured 8 oz. of oil into two different jars and added the powders, put the tops on and set them aside. I’m letting them sit for 21 days and will begin using them 1-16-2012.

I am going to use these oils as pre-poos, hot oil treatments, scalp massages, adding to conditioners and butters…..the possibilities are endless.

Sweet! Where do you get your Meadowfoam oil? I've looked around and its a little spendy...

joytimes10

Ladies,
I may have missed it but how do you make "coffee oil"? TIA
I always have issues with too much shedding.

greenandchic

Update: I found out why my hair is shedding, finally!

I had an appointment with a dermatologist on Thursday and she ordered blood work. I immediately went over to the lab right after my appointment and got one of the results back yesterday morning.

My ferritin (protein that stores iron and releases it in a controlled fashion) levels are very low, <40, which could cause hair loss. I am NOT anemic, but you can still have low ferritin.

"One of the most common causes of hair loss in pre-menopausal women is not hormones, but a nutritional deficiency, with depleted iron stores being the most important factor.

In a study, one hundred and fifty three women who were diagnosed with telogen effluvium from 1995-1998 were examined. Seventy two percent (n=75) of women in the premenopausal group were found to have iron deficiency as the cause of telogen effluvium. Iron deficiency is defined as having a ferritin level of under 40ng/ml or iron percent saturation under 20%. Iron deficiency is the most common cause of telogen effluvium in premenopausal women. Although medications are the most common cause of telogen effluvium in postmenopausal women, iron deficiency should not be ruled out.
(Janet L. Roberts Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR, USA)"

I started a raw vegan, food based iron supplement yesterday hoping that will help. They will check my levels in about a month.

greenandchic

Update II:

Since I started taking iron daily since February, my shedding has just about stopped (aside from the normal amount). I wish I had my ferritin levels tested years ago.

lamaria211

I have PP shedding right now the research ive done says I cant really do much but wait it out but while im waiting im using Queen Helen Garlic Shampoo, home made garlic oil( olive oil,vatika oil+garlic) and AE garlic treatment

dancinstallion

@greenandchic

@Pompous Blue, How do you strain the oil after you have infused it with the powders?