Does trimming stop breakage?

Kinkyhairlady

I'm at my wits end with my hair and I think maybe a trim would help stop the breakage but not sure. I did an emergencee protein treatment and followed up with aubrey organics moisturizer and still a ton of pieces were breaking off.

I'm wondering if I should get a major trim an inch to 2 inches or should I continue to look for a product that will stop the breakage. I did the protein yesterday, is it ok to try another like aphogee this weekend? My fear is if I trim that the breakage does not stop. Any advice ladies? Tia

Beltrinicurls

The aphogee may work. It stopped my breakage temporarily. As far as trimming your hair, I suggest only trimming off knots at the ends of your hair (if you get them) and weathered ends. (weathered ends are usually bent over, leaning to the side.)

I hope this helps.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
If you want to retain length I suggest only dusting. And besides, trimming doesn't stop breakage, breakage is cause by abuse, damage, or something missing in your regime

Kinkyhairlady

If you want to retain length I suggest only dusting. And besides, trimming doesn't stop breakage, breakage is cause by abuse, damage, or something missing in your regime

I have done everything and I don't really use heat. I got heat damage because if my stylist. I just wish I could figure out the issue.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Last year, I was suffering from breakage and I started using Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor on my hair after washing and my breakage stopped significantly no matter what style I did with my hair.

Bublin

Poohbear - do you use it on it's own or did you apply a moisturising condish afterwards? I have used this in the past and have always found it very moisturising but always followed with something else. I stopped using it because it had run out and didn't repurchase.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Poohbear - do you use it on it's own or did you apply a moisturising condish afterwards? I have used this in the past and have always found it very moisturising but always followed with something else. I stopped using it because it had run out and didn't repurchase.

Bublin - I used it by itself with no other products. I would shampoo my hair, rinse out the shampoo, then apply the Aphogee reconstructor and leave it on for like 5 minutes. After I rinsed out the Aphogee, I would apply conditioner to my hair.

Kinkyhairlady

Last year, I was suffering from breakage and I started using Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor on my hair after washing and my breakage stopped significantly no matter what style I did with my hair.

I was thinking about the two minute treatment. I will get it today. Do I need to wait some time before using it since I did the emergencee? I don't think nexus emergencee is that good it does nothing for me.

Bublin

Poohbear Ah ok, i was thinking to use it as my conditioner and not follow up with anything else since it does make my hair very soft. I may use it as a pre-poo on dry hair. Thanks.

abcd09

Trimming my hair doesn't work because it's the detangling that snaps some pieces off. Try the aphogee.

Amerie2304

I texturized my hair on Monday and I'm already starting to experience breakage...le sigh. I trimmed about an inch (maybe more) and I'm still finding little broken pieces of hair (about a quarter of an inch in length). I did the Aphogee 2 step treatment but it didn't seem to make a difference. I liked how my hair felt better after I rinsed the protein treatment out because it felt mushy after I used the moisturizer. I'm thinking about trying the 2 minute Keratin one next or Joico K-Pak perhaps.

Disclaimer: I don't think it's the texturizer itself causing the breakage; more so me not taking proper precautions.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Kinkyhairlady - in no way am I advocating for you to trim because you should do that only if/when you feel it is the right thing to do for your hair but...I was experiencing tiny strands of breakage of my ends a few months back. I had not trimmed in a little over a year. Moisture nor protein was helping combat the breakage. I decided to get a good trim/cut (2 in) and haven't experienced breakage issues since (knock on wood).

Nonie

Kinkyhairlady your question is really hard to answer, because breakage comes in many forms. Breakage from mid-strand splits or happening further up the strand like at the point of demarcation in relaxed hair or because of trauma from a clip cannot be helped by trimming.

Breaking-off ends due to splits or normal wear and tear can be PREVENTED if caught before the damage has happened. Otherwise any cut or trim after the fact is simply to get rid of the damage rather than waiting for the hair to break off on its own. The positive thing about cutting it off instead of letting it fall off on its own is you can create a neat (tougher) end, rather than risk a new rugged end that continues splitting repeating the same problem you just had.

Those^^ ends will continue breaking off because each torn-off part of a strand is weaker than the whole so whether you cut them off or not, they will break off over time, just because they cannot hold moisture, or withstand manipulation. Cutting them above where the fray has occurred would leave you with a stronger strand because it's whole and has no fray. Cutting with sharp scissors would ensure the end is smooth and has no notches for easy splitting. As I explained in this post, keeping notches at bay are the reason some of us find regular dusting helps us retain better. When we don't dust, the cycle I explained above takes place which is why some of us stay at SL for all our lives.

And if you've managed to get away w/o dusting and are now at APL or beyond but finding breakage a problem, it's because the ends are now many years old. Organic things do wear and tear, so just because you made it this far, doesn't mean the same cycle many deal with can't catch up with you. Of course, there's the abnormal handful who can just do whatever and still sit on their hair. But if that's not you, then regular dusting might be for you.

Kinkyhairlady

Ladies I went ahead and got a trim and the breakage decreased drastically! I keep putting my fingers through my hair and nothing is coming out. When I used the comb only two little pieces came out. I guess I needed a trim. I got the aphogee as well and will try that later in the week. I trimmed off an inch and I love the blunt shape. I went from shoulder length to neck length but for the health of my hair I don't mind.

Tiye

Trims always work for me. And although it doesn't jibe with the science - see, e.g. Noni's post - a slight trim at the ends seems to minimize breakage further down the hair strand.

Nonie

Trims always work for me. And although it doesn't jibe with the science - see, e.g. Noni's post - a slight trim at the ends seems to minimize breakage further down the hair strand.

Why do you say the bold Tiye? I think your point most certainly does agree with science.

When you have ends that are all jagged, each section of the jagged end is thin and weak and breaks easily. You can see the jagged end in the first strand in the image. I posted. The second one shows the strand with some pieces having fallen off (Those are the bits you see, and as you can see, the remaining part is so skinny itself it's not gonna last for long). So that's why you see broken pieces.

When you take a pair of scissors and cut off that jagged end, you're left with a solid new end that isn't all chewed up but that is one whole that is strong so isn't breaking all willy nilly.

Kinkyhairlady

Why do you say the bold Tiye? I think your point most certainly does agree with science.

When you have ends that are all jagged, each section of the jagged end is thin and weak and breaks easily. You can see the jagged end in the first strand in the image. I posted. The second one shows the strand with some pieces having fallen off (Those are the bits you see, and as you can see, the remaining part is so skinny itself it's not gonna last for long). So that's why you see broken pieces.

When you take a pair of scissors and cut off that jagged end, you're left with a solid new end that isn't all chewed up but that is one whole that is strong so isn't breaking all willy nilly.

Nonie, I agree with your theory, it makes perfect sense. I'm telling you all pieces were breaking off everywhere but now it stopped. Of course I'll wait until tomorrow to see if it still continues to improve but I'm confident it has. I know folks don't want to sacrifice length but sometimes that is your only option.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
If I remember correctly, you had heat damage this year right? Hair only grows at a pace of .5 inches on average. So if you had heat damage in January, that hair that was damaged is still there unless you cut it all off since then.

Hair is not like skin or a body part that can heal with time. Once you damage your hair, it is damaged forever. Protein does not fix the problem permanently, it is a temporary fix used to repair weak spots along your hair strands where protein is missing. The protein bonds to your hair but when you wash your hair that added protein is washed away too and you are right back at square one.

So if your hair was damaged in the past, then that is why your hair is breaking now. First you start off with split ends and other warning signs, and then that hair eventually breaks off. Like someone else said, there is no mystery why hair breaks, it is because it is "broken."

Last edited:

Kinkyhairlady

If I remember correctly, you had heat damage this year right? Hair only grows at a pace of .5 inches on average. So if you had heat damage in January, that hair that was damaged is still there unless you cut it all off since then.

Hair is not like skin or a body part that can heal with time. Once you damage your hair, it is damaged forever. Protein does not fix the problem permanently, it is a temporary fix used to repair weak spots along your hair strands where protein is missing. The protein bonds to your hair but when you wash your hair that added protein is washed away too and you are right back at square one.

So if your hair was damaged in the past, then that is why your hair is breaking now. First you start off with split ends and other warning signs, and then that hair eventually breaks off. Like someone else said, there is no mystery why hair breaks, it is because it is "broken."

Yes I had heat damage in August and that is when the breaking started but there are people on this board who are heat trained and their hair is quite healthy. I think with heat damage your hair can be save with the right products for your hair. In my case a trim helped but I know I will still experience some breakage unless I find something that works for my hair.

Stormy

Same here! Just about stopped it completely! That stuff worked much better than the regular Aphogee for me.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Yes I had heat damage in August and that is when the breaking started but there are people on this board who are heat trained and their hair is quite healthy. I think with heat damage your hair can be save with the right products for your hair. In my case a trim helped but I know I will still experience some breakage unless I find something that works for my hair.

If your hair is damaged, it is not going to be fixed permanently by any product. You will have to continue to use said product over and over and over again to continue to get the benefits of said product.

If they repaired your hair permanently, then there would be no need for reapplication. But people do protein treatments on a monthly, biweekly or weekly basis to continue to patch up the missing protein layers.

I'm not speaking 100% from the science based articles I have read, but I am also speaking from experience. My BC 5 years ago to the day on September 26, 2006 was not 100% because I was "brave enough" to cut my hair down to an 2 inch fro.

I also was forced into a bc because my hair was damaged way beyond repair. My hair was so badly damaged I had to use Motion's CPR treatment every. single. time I washed my hair or else it would snap off as soon as water hit it.

That is how you know your hair is effed up. There wasn't a protein treatment in the world that could repair my damage. Once your cortex is exposed, it is pretty much lights out for your hair.

But if you want to "save" your hair, by all means try all the products you want, but nothing will 100% repair your hair permanently. I just don't want you wasting money searching for a miracle in the bottle to stop your breakage 100% forever.

Last edited:

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
References:

Weathering, as you saw in Chapter 1, is the gradual wearing away of the cuticle of the hair shaft. The damage exposes the cortex, which becomes worn down as well, and the hair can eventually break.
[continued]
But in spite of this resilience, badly weathered hair is quite common. All too often it results in disappointment and an unhappy client for the stylist and the technician to sort out. But whatever their expertise, repeated attempts to restore the hair to good condition by further experiment may be doomed to failure. All hair has its limit: once that limit is passed and the hair has seriously broken down, the only thing to be done is to cut it off.
Source (best darn online source for hair science) : http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-damage.html

Last edited: