Classic Length 2010 Challenge Part I

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Candy828 & FlowerHair need your thoughts on thin ends. Candy - you posted a knee length girl's blog and she was struggling with thin ends. what's your opinion on thin ends? do you think they should be cut? or do you just hang in and wait until they thicken up/the rest of the hair catches up?

thin ends is one of my biggest problems - i'd imagine, on your journey to classic length that you've had to deal with this problem at least once???? pleeeeeease help!

I noticed that my ends were uneven and weren't looking so nice, so I just cut them off. What's the point of having long hair if it doesn't look nice? Besides, I just trim once a year or so. That's when my retention/growth really took off. :yep:
I think thin ends should be cut or at least trimmed a little. Even half an inch can make a difference... :)

When I trim, I use this guide: http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim

FlowerHair - (you know i'm your hair/forum "stan") :) - okay, so you mentioned that you'll wear your hair down more - meaning that you'll have to moisturize more diligently. how do you plan to moisturize? what will you use. i've got your regimen memorized, but from what i remember, you just do your reggie on wash day and no in between moisturization. just curious what addition you plan to make to your regimen/how you're going to moisturize?

can't wait to see your hair straight!!! that's gonna be amazing!

I plan to make a little concoction of water, conditioner, olive oil and put in a spray bottle. I'll have to see how it works. :) Hopefully, it will keep my ends from drying out. Even now, I wet my hair a little with my hands in the morning to revive the curls.

Sometimes I put some cocoa butter lotion (Palmer's) after moisturizing my hands and just put the excess on the ends. Skin lotion is really good, actually! :D

I really have to start wearing my hair up every once in a while too. :sad:

yamilee21

Candy828 & FlowerHair need your thoughts on thin ends. Candy - you posted a knee length girl's blog and she was struggling with thin ends. what's your opinion on thin ends? do you think they should be cut? or do you just hang in and wait until they thicken up/the rest of the hair catches up? ...

You didn't ask me, but I'm going to answer anyway, because this has been on my mind a lot lately, :lol:. Honestly, I think LHCF can make people paranoid about "thin ends." I'm not sure why that is. Sure, full blunt ends can look attractive, but so can layered and tapered ends. I feel the emphasis on full blunt ends around here can sometimes be discouraging. Think about it - if you grow out your hair from bald, and want truly full blunt ends, the hair at the top front of your head will need to be about twice the length of the hair at your nape for full blunt ends at midback length... twice as much growing time. If your ends do not have a lot of damage, and are not exaggeratedly uneven, it makes sense to me to allow more of the hair to reach a length you are satisfied with before cutting it to thicken the ends - keeps you from inadvertently cutting off progress.

Also, if you are not wearing your hair straightened and down a lot, the evenness of the ends is not as important. And that brings me to my next thought (or pet peeve)... if you have multi-textured hair that shrinks at different percentages, as I do, having full blunts ends when wearing your hair curly is pretty much impossible - you could cut it that way curly, but then it would be all different lengths when you straighten.

I cut off split ends and SSKs when I see them, but I only trim a little bit about once a year, just from habit of feeling that hair "must" be trimmed. But thinking about my kids' hair makes me question a lot of things... my son has been boycotting haircuts for about 14 months now. His hair grew out from one of those almost-bald cuts, and he has an afro. I have the thought in my head that hair is supposed to be trimmed, but I look at his hair and don't see what there is to trim. Same with my daughter - she was born with some hair, very little of it fell out, some more has grown in... different textures and growth rates all over her head... but still nothing that looks worth trimming.

Mz.MoMo5235

flowerhair... dont ever come near me when i have scissors... the green monster in me may try to chop your hair off, weft it, and start wearing your hair

I LOVE IT!!! cant wait til my hair is hanging low like that :D

wyldcurlz

You didn't ask me, but I'm going to answer anyway, because this has been on my mind a lot lately, :lol:. Honestly, I think LHCF can make people paranoid about "thin ends." I'm not sure why that is. Sure, full blunt ends can look attractive, but so can layered and tapered ends. I feel the emphasis on full blunt ends around here can sometimes be discouraging. Think about it - if you grow out your hair from bald, and want truly full blunt ends, the hair at the top front of your head will need to be about twice the length of the hair at your nape for full blunt ends at midback length... twice as much growing time. If your ends do not have a lot of damage, and are not exaggeratedly uneven, it makes sense to me to allow more of the hair to reach a length you are satisfied with before cutting it to thicken the ends - keeps you from inadvertently cutting off progress.

Also, if you are not wearing your hair straightened and down a lot, the evenness of the ends is not as important. And that brings me to my next thought (or pet peeve)... if you have multi-textured hair that shrinks at different percentages, as I do, having full blunts ends when wearing your hair curly is pretty much impossible - you could cut it that way curly, but then it would be all different lengths when you straighten.

I cut off split ends and SSKs when I see them, but I only trim a little bit about once a year, just from habit of feeling that hair "must" be trimmed. But thinking about my kids' hair makes me question a lot of things... my son has been boycotting haircuts for about 14 months now. His hair grew out from one of those almost-bald cuts, and he has an afro. I have the thought in my head that hair is supposed to be trimmed, but I look at his hair and don't see what there is to trim. Same with my daughter - she was born with some hair, very little of it fell out, some more has grown in... different textures and growth rates all over her head... but still nothing that looks worth trimming.
Yamilee - THANK YOU SO MUCH for confirming my thoughts on thin ends! you're right, thin ends can be described as the worst thing next to the devil sometimes and they shouldn't be. Your explanation was perfect and clear and i couldn't agree more. I just wish I'd found you, FlowerHair and Candy before I took scissors to my hair. (spent a weekend with girlfriends who must've told me that I "needed a trim because my ends were "uneven and looked unhealthy." And they told me that about 38 times in a 30 min hair discussion!)

fortunately I didn't take off much.

Hi wyldcurlz, For me when I get to a new length thin ends is a problem because I have three scalp skins types.... so my hair grows at different paces. For example: The right side is oily and it grows extremely fast. The left side is normal and it grows at a steady normal pace. The center is dry and it grows slow. My right side hair will sometimes out pace the rest of the hair by a full inch! If your hair is healthy there is no need to do a big trim. Only dusting and this does allow the shorter hairs to catch up and thickening does begin to happen. Also make sure you are doing S&D. If you can't stand to look at the unevenness... Keep your hair in up styles while you are waiting.... It helps to keep down the anxiety!

For me a trim is a once a year thing...I may do a 1/4 inch trim on the leftside and have to do a 3/4 inch on the rightside.... then it is back to letting it grow to the next new length. So I have length milestones before thickening up again.... I hope that makes since...

Remember to always keep your hair moisturized.... dryness equals breakage!:yep:

Thanks Candy!!! I have to remember the importance of keeping my hair moisturized. I tend to lag on that and need to find easy ways to keep the moisture up. I also must have multiple scalp skin types because I notice one side is about 1 inch longer. I thought it was something I could've been doing wrong...Thanks for explaining that and for sharing your thoughts with me on thin ends - again, like Yamilee, confirming what I already thought about thin ends. Hang onto them until I reach desired length - that thin ends are just hair growing at a faster rate than the other strands. Glad I don't have to beat myself up over them anymore.

I noticed that my ends were uneven and weren't looking so nice, so I just cut them off. What's the point of having long hair if it doesn't look nice? Besides, I just trim once a year or so. That's when my retention/growth really took off. :yep:
I think thin ends should be cut or at least trimmed a little. Even half an inch can make a difference... :)

When I trim, I use this guide: http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim

I plan to make a little concoction of water, conditioner, olive oil and put in a spray bottle. I'll have to see how it works. :) Hopefully, it will keep my ends from drying out. Even now, I wet my hair a little with my hands in the morning to revive the curls.

Sometimes I put some cocoa butter lotion (Palmer's) after moisturizing my hands and just put the excess on the ends. Skin lotion is really good, actually! :D

I really have to start wearing my hair up every once in a while too. :sad:

FlowerHair - please let us know how your moisture concoction works!! Thanks for the link to the trimming guide and for yet another confirmation about thin ends. I'm no longer freaking out about them. Oh - and you'd mentioned your using skin lotion on your hair before - I tried it and you're right, its great at taming frizz/fly-aways. So thanks for that little tip! :)

Candy828

Lucia

Candy828 & FlowerHair need your thoughts on thin ends. Candy - you posted a knee length girl's blog and she was struggling with thin ends. what's your opinion on thin ends? do you think they should be cut? or do you just hang in and wait until they thicken up/the rest of the hair catches up?

thin ends is one of my biggest problems - i'd imagine, on your journey to classic length that you've had to deal with this problem at least once???? pleeeeeease help!

I hope FH and Candy don't mind I'm jumping in
WC you have 2 choices: #1 your hair is always growing (unless you're very sick)
so it's really up to you, if you can stand having your hair a couple inches shorter and trying to re-pass the same milestone again, then cut some of it off. But IMO I don't think that's necessary you can also let it grow then cut a little at a time. If you noticed that's what Cinamonhair did the 2nd time around and the thinning started further down and she just ignored it and kept growing and dusting. happy hair growing :grin: hth

Lucia

Last edited:

Lucia

OH you'll love this one, the infobox is hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu7u37BlTdU

PInkladyJ said:
1. I AM NOT CUTTING MY HAIR! Do not ask me to cut my hair, do not tell me to cut my hair and don't start any comments with the phrases "If I cut my hair..." or "When I cut my hair..." - I AM NOT CUTTING MY HAIR! I mean to grow old and be a little old lady with long gray hair. Please respect my personal choice to live my life as I wish. Anyone who disregards this message and tells me to cut my hair will have their comment deleted and they will be blocked.

2. YES - I do know all about Locks of Love. You don't need to tell me about them. I actually know more about them than you can imagine. I am all for supporting those who are less fortunate and some day when I myself am more fortunate in life I will be more than happy to donate time, money, and even a whole box of synthetic wigs to needy children, but please don't ask me for my hair. If you are so determined that children have hair consider growing your own for the cause, and please consider that it is rude to demand that other people give up something personal and sacred to them. I know some people think its just hair so its not important, but clearly it is important to a lot of people. I know most people don't consider their own hair personal or precious but for those who do, please respect their choices.

Dang she told them :lachen:

Candy828

Interesting….afterall they are Stylists…i.e. “Salons”

Part I

Link Removed

It’s finally here, the Best Hair Products Winners of the 2010 Hair Stylists Choice Awards! If you’re a follower of my blog you know every year I love to update all of you on what thousands of hair stylists have voted for as the “Best Hair Products” they have worked with over the year.

The tally just came in from behindthechair.com on this annual event which coincides with one of the biggest professional beauty shows in the country. This year it was held in Chicago, Illinois.
If your current hair products are not performing as well as they used to, a ‘best hair products’ list from the professionals should be of interest to you. Hair stylists are the only ones who have first-hand results daily with every hair type possible and from a large base of professional brands.
I know there are plenty of good hair products out there that didn’t make the ‘best hair products’ list, but this list has lots of credibility behind it. If you would like to see a larger list of ‘Best Hair Products’ to choose from, see their ‘Link Removed‘ in each category for more options.

BEST HAIR PRODUCTS WINNERS

Favorite Shampoo
Redken Color Extend Shampoo

Favorite Conditioner
PureOlogy HydrateCondition

Favorite New Shampoo/Conditioner
Sebastian Volupt Volume Boosting Conditioner

Favorite Prestige Shampoo/Conditioner
Pureology Hydrate Condition

Favorite Deep or Restorative Conditioner
Joico K-PAK Deep-Penetrating Reconstructor

Favorite Prestige Styling Product
Moroccanoil Oil Treatment

Favorite Straightening Product (non-chemical)
Matrix Sleek.look Blow-Down Extreme Cr?e

Favorite Styling Product
TIGI Bed Head Manipulator

Favorite New Styling Product
TIGI Catwalk Your Highness Thickening Gel Cr?e

Last edited by a moderator:

Candy828

Interesting….afterall they are Stylists…i.e. “Salons”

Part II

Link Removed

Continued…

Favorite Hairspray
TIGI Catwalk Your Highness Thickening Gel Cr?e

Favorite Color Protecting Product
PureOlogy Hydrate

Favorite Men’s Product Line
American Crew

Favorite Fine or Thinning Haircare Product
Nioxin Scalp Therapy

Favorite Multicultural Company
Mizani

Favorite Professional Make-up Line
TIGI Bed Head Make-Up

Favorite Volumizing Product
TIGI Catwalk Your Highness Root Boost Spray

Favorite Product You Can’t Live Without

Favorite Blow Dryer
Farouk Systems CHI Turbo

Favorite Flat Iron
Farouk Systems CHI Ceramic

Favorite Overall Professional Products Co. (best products, education, support, etc.)
TIGI

Last edited by a moderator:

yamilee21

... Favorite Straightening Product (non-chemical) Matrix Sleek.look Blow-Down Extreme Cr?e ...

This is THE WORST PRODUCT EVER. Well, maybe not by itself, but in conjunction with the rest of the Matrix Frizz Poof line. I tried to straighten using the full line once, which my mother had bought for me because she and one of my aunts became loyal devotees, and I ended up with a gummy, poofy, frizzy mess. Can you imagine spending 5 hours washing, blow-drying and hot-combing your hair, only to have to wash it immediately again? :wallbash:

Candy828

This is THE WORST PRODUCT EVER. Well, maybe not by itself, but in conjunction with the rest of the Matrix Frizz Poof line. I tried to straighten using the full line once, which my mother had bought for me because she and one of my aunts became loyal devotees, and I ended up with a gummy, poofy, frizzy mess. Can you imagine spending 5 hours washing, blow-drying and hot-combing your hair, only to have to wash it immediately again? :wallbash:

:violin:So much for Salon Stylist Favorites!:lachen::thatsall::lachen:

I know.... I know.... There are some good stylist out there...but it's like finding a needle in a hay stack..:rolleyes:

There is only one on the list I trust is:
Favorite Prestige Styling Product

I know that Moroccan Oil is a good product!

Last edited:

Mz.MoMo5235

yup yup... and even some of the good ones still arent that great because of there idea of what our hair should be. i had one stylist who to this day was the best one. she was the 1st person to give me an actual trim which took off all the splits but left all the length.

only problem was her idea of how my hair should be was sleek and straight. so when she taught me how to flat iron my hair she gave me some info that screwed up my hair. basically i had the flat iron so hot that it changed my curl pattern, but not so hot that my hair "looked damaged" (example: it still felt soft, wasnt crunchy, you couldnt visibly see or feel the damage but the damage WAS there since my hair wouldnt curl)... though i would say it was partially my fault as i never told her that my primary style is to wear my hair naturally....

oh well, she's gone and now that i know the secret to her cutting my hair, i'm sure once i do finally trim again it should go very well.... hopefully

Candy828

FLASHBACK...Do you remember the movie Coming To America? Vanessa Bell played in this movie as the arranged wife of Eddie Murphy.... Anyway, I know it wasn't her real hair....But I love it!:grin: I want my hair to flow this way....

This comes from: http://www.vanessabellcalloway.com/photo.html

Attachments

• Vanessa Bell in Coming To America.jpg
    Vanessa Bell in Coming To America.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 42

BostonMaria

First off, Candy I absolutely love this thread! Its so informative and I appreciate all the posts.

OMG you just hit the nail on the head with this post. I go back and forth on the V shape and the 1 inch of hair that is longer than the rest of my hair. My nape grows quicker, I have no idea why and there's nothing I can do aboutit. I cut my hair down to like 4-5 inches back in 2007 and of course its all one length, but this makes it uneven. I do search and destroys, but haven't cut my hair in almost 3 YEARS :ohwell: and I have no desire to cut it. I really don't have a reason to anyway. I promised myself that I would do a blunt cut once it reaches classic length, then I'll trim my ends until they're all an even length. Maybe :grin:

I have multi-textured hair so if I do a "curly cut" I'll look absolutely ridiculous once I straighten it. I'd literally have to cut the nape area down to less than shoulder length. I'd have some kind of weird upside down mullet. I just have to accept my hair for what it does, doesn't do I guess.

BTW My 11 year old DD has tailbone length hair and she doesn't do protective styles, never takes care of her hair (I do that for her), I have trimmed her hair MAYBE 3 times in her whole life and she's almost 12. If you look at her hair she doesn't have ONE split end. It kills me :grin: I wish that were me!

Candy828

First time I have heard of just "Scalp Washing". This is Knee Length Hair.....interesting...

quote from Lady Godiva(username) http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=41545&page=3

"Aries, here's how I do scalp washes. First, completely detangle. Then I put my hair right back up in my usual Log Roll updo, affixed with a Ficcare Maximas. I wash my hair as my final shower task. I take my Maximas out, then simply put the log roll in a plastic bag, which I can hold with one hand tightly at the base, angling it upwards, as I wet my scalp hair, add shampoo, scrub, and rinse. I alternate which hand holds the bagged hair and which hand scrubs. I rinse and repeat, ending with a final, thorough rinse. Then I'm done, dry off, and detangle thoroughly. That's it."

Log Roll updo image: http://media.photobucket.com/image/log roll updo/LadyGodiva1078/HairstickLogRoll/right.jpg

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
First off, Candy I absolutely love this thread! Its so informative and I appreciate all the posts.

OMG you just hit the nail on the head with this post. I go back and forth on the V shape and the 1 inch of hair that is longer than the rest of my hair. My nape grows quicker, I have no idea why and there's nothing I can do aboutit. I cut my hair down to like 4-5 inches back in 2007 and of course its all one length, but this makes it uneven. I do search and destroys, but haven't cut my hair in almost 3 YEARS :ohwell: and I have no desire to cut it. I really don't have a reason to anyway. I promised myself that I would do a blunt cut once it reaches classic length, then I'll trim my ends until they're all an even length. Maybe :grin:

I have multi-textured hair so if I do a "curly cut" I'll look absolutely ridiculous once I straighten it. I'd literally have to cut the nape area down to less than shoulder length. I'd have some kind of weird upside down mullet. I just have to accept my hair for what it does, doesn't do I guess.

BTW My 11 year old DD has tailbone length hair and she doesn't do protective styles, never takes care of her hair (I do that for her), I have trimmed her hair MAYBE 3 times in her whole life and she's almost 12. If you look at her hair she doesn't have ONE split end. It kills me :grin: I wish that were me!

Pics please!!! :grin:

Lucia

@ BM
nice job mamma but I bet her hair is in ponytails or pokahantas braids daily
that's still protective and she not messing with it yet no irons no blowfrying etc
you shoul start training her slowly on how to do her own hair
so that when she does take over she doesn't wreck it

Candy that's intersting she doesn't disturb her length at all
mmmmm

Last edited:

jupitermoon

Hey, I bought the Goody Spin Pins today from Walgreens and they really work! Another member on this board reviewed them so I decided to try them out. You should be able to find them at most drug stores and at WaMart. They are sold in two a pack and in blonde and brunette colors. They around $6.00 depending on the region.

This was how my hair looked after trying them out for the first time:

^^^^My hair was held in a bun with only two of these.

I was very skeptical and wasn't expecting them to work.

This is how one pin looks:

^^^This is the brunette color.

I strongly recommend these. They don't hurt and are easy to insert and take out. I was expecting these to get caught in my coarse, curly, thick hair but they didn't. I hope these become standard similar to plain bobby pins. These are nice for those of us with thick hair that plain bobby pins don't work on.

As much as I love my Flexi 8's, it's nice to have a plain bun sometimes and it's also good to be able to find something at the local drug store that works instead of having to order online all the time.

My grade: A+
I'm very impressed.

Lucia

Hey, I bought the Goody Spin Pins today from Walgreens and they really work! Another member on this board reviewed them so I decided to try them out. You should be able to find them at most drug stores and at WaMart. They are sold in two a pack and in blonde and brunette colors. They around $6.00 depending on the region.

This was how my hair looked after trying them out for the first time:

^^^^My hair was held in a bun with only two of these.

I was very skeptical and wasn't expecting them to work.

This is how one pin looks:

^^^This is the brunette color.
I strongly recommend these. They don't hurt and are easy to insert and take out. I
was expecting these to get caught in my coarse, curly, thick hair but they didn't. I hope
these become standard similar to plain bobby pins. These are nice for those of us with thick
hair that plain bobby pins don't work on.
As much as I love my Flexi 8's, it's nice to have a plain bun sometimes and it's also good to
be able to find something at the local drug store that works instead of having to order online
all the time.

My grade: A+
I'm very impressed.

I saw the ad and didn't think they'd work for thick curly heads at all
does it hold well and really no tangles?Tia

Last edited:

Janet'

Yamilee and Boston:

Thanks so much for addressing this point. As a natural, who is currently not wearing her hair in straightened styles, the ends of my hair are uneven...I am not going to cut anytime soon though (like probably not till December, if that). I may do a very tiny brush in July when I do my next length check...It looks weird to some ppl, but you ladies explained it perfectly!!!!

BTW: I'm no where NEAR WL but I do come in and lurk...I know that I can learn loads from you ladies!

jupitermoon

I saw the ad and didn't think they'd work for hick curly heads at all
does it hold well and really no tangles?Tia

Yes, the hold is good and it didn't cause tangles for me. You just screw it in and out of the hair by twisting it clockwise to go in and counterclockwise to take it out. It's not painful. I didn't think it would work for me either. There's a thread over at the Long Hair Community about it and all of the reviews except for one were positive. The person that gave the negative review thought that the spin pins were "flimsy" in comparision to the old "hair scroos" (which I've never tried, so I wouldn't know).

Here is a thread from Naturally Curly about the spin pins. The reviews are positive also:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=103874&highlight=spin+pin

The owner of http://www.maneandchic.com/ also likes them. Unfortunately, I can't link to her review but if you go to her page and type in "spin pins" in the search box, you will see it.

Plus, if you google spin pins reviews will pop up; most are good. Nothing works for everyone but the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. :yep:

The pins may not work if the hair is too short, has really short layers, or is extremely heavy. Most hair toys including the Ficcare clips tend to hurt me or can't hold all of my hair, but these work well for me.