Yeast and Dandruff...what the BLEEP?

tiffanyoneal

So I am sitting here at work scratching my head and I see dandruff... I am wondering what really causes dandruff? Most would say dirt. But that answer is to board for me so I start surfing the net to see what is dandruff. I was so amazed at my answers so i decided to share. I now see why some of yall have used monistat on your hair. High five to yall!!!

here are my findings I copied and pasted from this website: http://www.dr-earles.com/html/dandruff.html
There is a yeast that grows in the scalp, including in the oil glands, which go deeply into the scalp. This yeast causes the condition, “dandruff” or Seborrheic Dermatitis, the medical name for dandruff.

How does yeast cause dandruff?

First, understand that every hair on the scalp is surrounded by, or/and is intimately associated with an oil gland. The oil gland usually shares with the hair follicle, the same opening to the scalp. In the healthy state, the oil gland secretes a tiny amount of oil which lubricates the hair and scalp.

The yeast that lives in the oil glands and on the scalp in fact actually eats the oil. THIS IS IT’S FOOD! (WTF) :mad: (SO THAT'S WHERE MY OIL IS GOING!)

The oil is therefore, not there to lubricate the hair and scalp. The decrease or absence of oil causes dryness and flaking. Dryness by itself can cause itching. The presence of the yeast in large numbers can also cause considerable inflammation, which is another cause of itching. Thus, a person with dandruff may itch for two different lesions, dryness and inflammation. If itching is severe, subsequent scratching can cause breakage of the skin and with resultant bleeding, and sometimes, infection as well. This inflammation and infection may even cause temporary, patchy hair loss. These episodes may lead to a condition called folliculitis. Chronic folliculitis can cost permanent hair loss.

...now to all of you who actually read ALL OF THAT.
.... That stops the myth to those who actually believe dandruff grows the hair!

Last edited:

blue_flower

"That stops the myth to those who actually believe dandruff grows the hair!"

Do people actually believe that??? Anyway, that was really interesting. My dandruff has gotten worse and I wonder if it's because the weather's gotten warmer or because I work out 4-5 days. But now I"m wondering if it is because I work out ("The yeast that lives in the oil glands and on the scalp in fact actually eats the oil. THIS IS IT’S FOOD!").

honeybadgirl

thanks....that was interesting. i dont get dandruff. i used to wonder why, not that i actually wanted it but it seemed normal to have it. other people do and i used to love scratching it for them!!!:grin:

blue_flower

honeybadgirl said:
thanks....that was interesting. i dont get dandruff. i used to wonder why, not that i actually wanted it but it seemed normal to have it. other people do and i used to love scratching it for them!!!:grin:

HUH?!?! You didn't mind getting dandruff flakes underneath your nails?

Kayluv

I've had dandruff all my life :ohwell: and it has never inhibited hair growth. The most important thing is to keep it under control because there is no cure. I grew up using sulfur 8 and head & shoulders shampoo. Now I use Nizoral shampoo which doesn't strip my hair the way head & shoulders used too and it appears to work better.

tiffanyoneal

sweetwhispers said:
i read that dandruff/dry scalp inhibits growth
yup.. i really never had a bad problem with dandruff but after reading this it makes me wanna rack up on the Monistat.

Last edited:

The Girl

Kayluv said:
I've had dandruff all my life :ohwell: and it has never inhibited hair growth. The most important thing is to keep it under control because there is no cure. I grew up using sulfur 8 and head & shoulders shampoo. Now I use Nizoral shampoo which doesn't strip my hair the way head & shoulders used too and it appears to work better.
maybe that was seb (sp) dermatitis. I think they look similar but respond differently

LaReyna756

I never had dandruff, so shampoos like head and shoulders wouldn't treat it. (I tried them anyways.) But I always had some really dry patches on my scalp. The only thing that's cleared that up has been MN.

Since I started using it a couple of months ago, my scalp has been in the best condition. No more dry patches. And before, relaxers would irritate my scalp easily, but not anymore.

Misseyl

I'm happy to say, the only time I get dandruff is when I frequent beauticians. I think it has something to do w/the fact that they don't clean out their brushes and/or combs much. Couple years ago, I had a serious dandruff problem and I tried every dandruff shampoo under the sun, then I used Scalpacin and that helped temporarly and Sulfur 8 was the only thing to clear it up. I don't have dandruff anymore but I still have a jar of Sulfur 8 around just in case.

The Girl

LaReyna756 said:
I never had dandruff, so shampoos like head and shoulders wouldn't treat it. (I tried them anyways.) But I always had some really dry patches on my scalp. The only thing that's cleared that up has been MN.

Since I started using it a couple of months ago, my scalp has been in the best condition. No more dry patches. And before, relaxers would irritate my scalp easily, but not anymore.
Sounds like it was yeast...glas its gone though.

tiffanyoneal

blue_flower said:
"That stops the myth to those who actually believe dandruff grows the hair!"

Do people actually believe that??? Anyway, that was really interesting. My dandruff has gotten worse and I wonder if it's because the weather's gotten warmer or because I work out 4-5 days. But now I"m wondering if it is because I work out ("The yeast that lives in the oil glands and on the scalp in fact actually eats the oil. THIS IS IT’S FOOD!").

Hi, thanks for responding.
I am guessing that it is b/c you work out 4-5 days.:ohwell: How often do you wash your hair? If you work out and sweat alot you should try and wash frequently and try using some MN. :lol: