WTF!?!?!??!?!?!? Seriously......what just happened!?!?!??!

LcS18

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I really don't know what just happened. I started getting serious about my hair a couple weeks ago (I asked every1 for advice about my proposed regimen-thanks again). Well...I cowashed (V05 free me freesia) yesterday and detangled (or so I THOUGHT!:wallbash:)so that today, wash day, would go smoother. I then put hair in pigtails and three braids per tail. Today I took down, put in ponytail went for run and came back to wash. I put conditioner (same one) in hair to detangle before applying wen "shampoo" and TANGLED, MATTED, RATS NEST MESS!!!!!!! all the way up to the roots!!! I kept combing and it was so tangled and hair was comin out even though I tried to be gentle. Seriously you could play miniature golf with the wad of hair that came outta my head! I was in the tub practically in tears....MAJOR setback......Ladies, WHAT DO I DO?!?!? WHY DID THIS HAPPEN!?!?!?:sad::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3:

2 things! Don't panic lady!

1. Clarify!
2. Get some mane n tail detangler asap!

I think that will work u sound over-conditioned

Also... Hugs! :bighug:
I just read u were crying :perplexed:

Last edited:

countrychickd

Clarify, clarify, clarify! This same thing happened to me. Product buildup can do this. Once I clarified my hair was back to normal. HTH!

hopeful

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I really don't know what just happened. I started getting serious about my hair a couple weeks ago (I asked every1 for advice about my proposed regimen-thanks again). Well...I cowashed (V05 free me freesia) yesterday and detangled (or so I THOUGHT!:wallbash:)so that today, wash day, would go smoother. I then put hair in pigtails and three braids per tail. Today I took down, put in ponytail went for run and came back to wash. I put conditioner (same one) in hair to detangle before applying wen "shampoo" and TANGLED, MATTED, RATS NEST MESS!!!!!!! all the way up to the roots!!! I kept combing and it was so tangled and hair was comin out even though I tried to be gentle. Seriously you could play miniature golf with the wad of hair that came outta my head! I was in the tub practically in tears....MAJOR setback......Ladies, WHAT DO I DO?!?!? WHY DID THIS HAPPEN!?!?!?:sad::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3::cry3:

I think the bolded may be the problem. A lot of people wash in sections. When you pulled it all back in a pony it sounds like it just got all tangled up. Or your hair may not like one of the products you used. Whatever you do don't let this get you depressed. Keep asking questions, and proceed slowly. A lot of people recover from incidents like this but you have to detangle really slowly and with lots of conditioner and oil. You're gonna be okay.

msa

I then put hair in pigtails and three braids per tail. Today I took down, put in ponytail went for run and came back to wash.

I think when you put the hair in two pig tails the hair probably dried a little tangled (but not the hair in the braids since they were stretched out).

When you put your hair in the ponytail today was it dry all the way? If not, that may have contributed to the tangling. And the fact that you gathered up the two pigtails into one ponytail may have made it worse as well.

msa

I think the bolded may be the problem. A lot of people wash in sections. When you pulled it all back in a pony it sounds like it just got all tangled up. Or your hair may not like one of the products you used. Whatever you do don't let this get you depressed. Keep asking questions, and proceed slowly. A lot of people recover from incidents like this but you have to detangle really slowly and with lots of conditioner and oil. You're gonna be okay.

We thought the same thing.

Ivonnovi

My "new" braids matted like this once. It took me almosr 4hours to unravel the mess.

STAT, GET & use a large Safety pin, sewing needle or something like that to work your way "ever so gingerly " throught the tangles and matting; keep a detangling agent on the hair. It's time consuming but in the end it spares your tresses and is worth it.

Kranbery

The same thing happened to me when I stretched my hair to put it in a ponytail while it was wet. When I took it out, my hair was sooo tangled, I finger-combed it right then. And I thought letting my hair shrink was bad, geez. I also detangled it in sections with hair ponytails, which might have caused it too.

Vonnieluvs08

First off: Calm down!!! The more you stress the worst you can make it because you may be to hard on yourself which will make you hard on your hair. When I had this happen to me after taking out some seriously small micros I got so panicked that I used all the wrong techniques and was way harsh on my hair and ended up accidentally cutting out some of the matts.

This happen to my sister yesterday when she washed her hair after some cornrows she had for 2wks. Luckily I knew that I had to be gentle and load it up with conditioner and GVP Paul Mitchell the detangler to work the knots out. I used the metal end of a rat tooth comb to slowly separate the knots and unravel the shed hair that was wrapping around the curl
clumps.

ITA with the ladies here that you will need to wash your hair in sections. If you put in braids you should braid from the root so that it stretches out all the hair.

You will be okay.

LcS18

LADIES THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!! I have since calmed down since yesterday...slightly. I use a shower comb to detangle (I know someone asked) I think you ladies may be right about the pigtails and then smooshing into ponytail....iill never do that again. I also think I won't use that paticular V05 anymore, it felt like it was getting hard and making it harder to comb my hair. Also I'm off to get a clarifying shampoo now. I think Ill give my hair a couple days rest then wash again thurs in sections. Does anyone know of a good clarifying poo to try????

MichL

I like Redken Hair Cleansing Cream. When I have a lot of buildup, it clarifies but my hair doesn't have that "stripped" feeling. It leaves everything nice and soft and the results after conditioning are great. (So great that I started using it too often which definitely was not a good idea -early LHCF, but I still should have known better. Now I just make sure I only use it when I really feel like I need it.) There's a thread somewhere about it. Also, for mild cleansing I use Aussie Moist shampoo (my hair comes out clean, very soft and moisturized.) HTH :)

LADIES THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!! I have since calmed down since yesterday...slightly. I use a shower comb to detangle (I know someone asked) I think you ladies may be right about the pigtails and then smooshing into ponytail....iill never do that again. I also think I won't use that paticular V05 anymore, it felt like it was getting hard and making it harder to comb my hair. Also I'm off to get a clarifying shampoo now. I think Ill give my hair a couple days rest then wash again thurs in sections. Does anyone know of a good clarifying poo to try????

MissMeWithThatIsh

Damp detangle with a shower comb or a Denman in sections... then apply your conditioner or prepoo.

Get in... wash each section and keep combing or brushing through the hair once slathered in product.... OR clarify and then do this.

Once you feel you've removed a good bit, then continue washing / conditioning as usual.

brucebettye

This happened to me last night after I did a hot oil treatment and washed my hair. I was mad because I knew that my shed hair had wrapped itself around some of my strands and caused matting. So I pulled out my Kid's Organics Olive plus Shea butter detangling moisturizing hair lotion and my comb and got to work. It took me about 30 minutes to comb through the matted hair, but I could have not done it without the Kid's Organics so quickly. That stuff works miracles. This was my fault because I had not combed my hair in over a week!!