Wrapping ur hair at nite w/ silk breaks it off?

Plenty

WTH

I have been told a million times that you should wrap your hair at nite with a silk/satin scarf

This girl I meet with pretty nice hair suggested that I get this wrap made of spandex and cause the 100% silk scarfs I had would break my hair off.

Do u ladies wrap ur hair with silk/satin? Does anyone know what this girl is refering to?

thanks w/b

I have no idea what she was refering too, but spandex on your head does not sound very good.

I'm not sure what she's talking about either. I always use a silk scarf when I wrap and that's because my hair doesn't get caught in the silk fabric. When I wrap with any other fabrics (i.e fake silk, stocking cap, etc.), bits and pieces of my hair would get caught and ripped off.

I think wrapping in general is not always best for you. People experience thinning from prolonged wrapping.

SweetNic_JA said:
I'm not sure what she's talking about either. I always use a silk scarf when I wrap and that's because my hair doesn't get caught in the silk fabric. When I wrap with any other fabrics (i.e fake silk, stocking cap, etc.), bits and pieces of my hair would get caught and ripped off.

I think wrapping in general is not always best for you. People experience thinning from prolonged wrapping.

yeah it can really ruin your ends

karezone said:
yeah it can really ruin your ends
That's so true. I used to see my ends thinning away and couldn't pin point it. Because of that I was always trimming until I found out what the culprit was.
Another problem it causes is thin edges. This happened to me too! I had no idea that wrapping, something that I thought was extremely safe, was damaging my tresses...

SweetNic_JA said:

I hear that has happened to some people , but never to me and I've been wrapping for over 15 years now, so have most of my friends and family.
I use a satin or silk scarf.

What's the other alternative to wrapping? I like my hair straight (don't mind about a few "big" waves) but what else is there besides wrapping where you won't put too much stress on the hair at night. I have always wrapped too without adverse affects.

I don't think it the scarf, how do you wrap hair comb or brush? Do you use a product to help hold it? Spritz, gel or oil? Do you wrap in the same direction each night?
You do lose upto / around 100 straids of hair a day normaly so you will find strainds in the scarf, you see more than 100, then start crying

blackbarbie said:
What's the other alternative to wrapping? I like my hair straight (don't mind about a few "big" waves) but what else is there besides wrapping where you won't put too much stress on the hair at night. I have always wrapped too without adverse affects.
See Reniece's album. She has a bun and scarf technique that works well. I fine hair and since I have stopped wrapping it, my hair has really improved.

tryn2growmyhair said:
See Reniece's album. She has a bun and scarf technique that works well. I fine hair and since I have stopped wrapping it, my hair has really improved.

I have been using this technique as well. It works! My hair is fine also, and my ends/edges were suffering from wrapping.

Whatttttttttttttt?

I use hot 6 oil on my ends.

The only time I have to keep trimming my ends is when I was brushing hair to smooth wrap, I know, stupid.

But other that that, I never had a problem or heard of this before

I usually wrap in same direction.

I have always been told to wrap your hair with silk satin scarf. :(

blackbarbie said:

I have been able to wear it straight lately by leaving hair out in the style I want. Put on scarf with hair hanging out back, then put a satin bonnet over that part. when I wake up, hair is straight and smooth.

Sylver2, I will be trying your scarf method when my hair gets past my 8 or 9 week stage and gets too thick to roller set. (I am going to try to stretch to 12 weeks) In the meantime, I am going to enjoy the straight roots and roller set and just wrap nightly. I will try the "hair out the back" method sometimes for nightly wrapping too. Can anyone tell me how I can find Reniece's album? Is she no longer a member? I tried looking under the member's list, but couldn't find her.

Wrapping caused me thinning around my edges. I had a friend tell me about it and I used the method for awhile until I discovered it was causing thinning. I always wondered why her hair was broken and thin in the front around the edges...it's from wrapping.

This is very good to know. I would really like it if someone can please provide a link to Reniece's album, or give other alternatives to wrapping but still maintaining the wrapping effect in the morning (no bumps from rollers or too wavy from braids).

For the last month or so, I have been wrapping my hair...putting mango butter or either woojee cream then covering it with a plastic cap, then wrapping with a satin scarf. When I wake up, my hair is really moist...I then put a little mango butter on the ends and put a few large rollers in it...shower...and drive to work and take my hair out of the rollers right before I turn into the parking lot. In this short time...my hair is set to perfection and my hair is smooth and it lasts all day. I know everyone does not have the same type of hair...but this has worked wonders for mine. I sure hope this doesn't have a negative effect on my hair cuz I sure like the way it looks and feels.

I use a Satin Scarf. I have about 3 that I bought at Sally's,the brand name is Cristina. For some reason my hair doesn't like silk scarves :ohwell: . It stays and looks moisturized by a.m. when I take the satin scarf off as opposed to using silk.

im just curious..lol and a little hair naive..but when yall say wrapping, you mean the way they do it at the salon with the metal clips and then they wrap it up with a scarf, a turban style headwrap like a gele, or do you mean like when you take the scarf and wrap it around the head and the hair like in a low bun?

i hope that just made sense..lol :lol:

Back