Would you take a job at the church?

Cleve_gryl

I've been presented an offer of employment at my church. I'm a member of a very large congregation (15,000 members) so this wouldn't be a small time position. I was recruited, which makes the situation even more sticky for me. I'm content at my job now, but it seems like an awesome opportunity for me. I've been praying about this, and am still waiting confirmation on it.

I'm just curious what you Saints would do in my position here.

Southernbella.

I've been presented an offer of employment at my church. I'm a member of a very large congregation (15,000 members) so this wouldn't be a small time position. I was recruited, which makes the situation even more sticky for me. I'm content at my job now, but it seems like an awesome opportunity for me. I've been praying about this, and am still waiting confirmation on it.

I say if you feel content with it, go for it. With one caveat...people who work inside of the church can quickly become disillusioned. You begin to see how some things work, and it could cause you to be discouraged. I say this as someone with lots of friends (and a dh) who worked at my old church.

If you do it, try not to listen to the office chatter, and try to realize that many churches run their inner offices like businesses now, so you may find some wordly attitudes there, which, is normal, since we're all human.:yep:

envybeauty

I would do it. Living and working in a world of nonbelievers is challenging on a daily basis.

I would think that even though everyone in a church is on different points on their spiritual journey, it still helps to know that your coworkers are of the same faith.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I personally wouldn't do it. No church is perfect and there are already things that go on in church that I wish I didn't know or see. I'd be afraid that putting myself in a position that exposes me more to the "wrongs" would deter me from ever going back. It's really your call though... you should follow your spiritual instinct.

Pat Mahurr

Pun intended
If you do it, try not to listen to the office chatter, and try to realize that many churches run their inner offices like businesses now, so you may find some wordly attitudes there, which, is normal, since we're all human.:yep:

Because of personal experience, ITA w/what Lauren said. Try to keep your eyes on God, not on man.

Nice & Wavy

OP: I work for a Church and my bosses are the Pastors.

Although the work can be challenging at times, I'm refreshed because I know that I'm working amongst believers who are too pressing towards the mark of the High Calling in Christ Jesus.

The pay is wonderful and the benefits are excellent. We have staff prayer every week as well....which helps us alot at the job.

I say pray about it and whatever release you have from the Lord then that's what you do.

Blessings and all the best to you!

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member

I worked for two different ministries in several functions...mainly as a teacher in two Christian Schools and then as the Sunday School Teacher (i.e. 'Children's Church). I wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the world.

The hardest part was having to go back into the world for employment. AND it was the Lord who moved me out of the comfort zone of being surrounded all day (and night) by totally no other persons than Believers. The 'outside' world was not a part of my life and I clung to this lifestyle.

However, God moved me out...back into the world's system. My season of being coddled and spoiled and protected by the Ministry was over and God literally pushed me back into the 'ugly' world's system as we know it.

What did God use? Economics! The Ministry's were both struggling to stay above ground. They were extremely 'giving' and generous to those who could not pay tuition. No one was turned away because they could not pay for their child to attend. The irony was that we had to close the schools...both of them. It was very difficult and heartbreaking for everyone, but we had no other recourse.

Also, I knew that I was 'using' God to avoid the world. Everything was perfect there. No violence, no strife, no contentions, no cussing, no smoking...etc. Actually, it was totally Heaven...it was :yep: .

But God had other plans for us and so it was...a new venture into the world.

Now, would I go back? Only if God says yes. You have to know that you know that you know, that God has this experience as a part of your Destiny. Why? Because ministries have a lot of economic challenges; very few have insurance benefits, etc. And if their only source of reliance is upon that donations of the church members, than you will have a problem economically. So are you prepared to live for less? Are you willing to sacrifice a week's salary when the funds are low?

Know that it's God. You are not doing God any favors by working for the ministry. Instead it is He that is doing 'us' a favor. For it will be a faith walk where you will have no other choice than to know Him and to trust Him more than in the world.

Also, you will encounter imperfections in humanity. You are going to see members in a totally different light than when they are in Church service, Bible study and Fellowships and Pastor will also not be the same person whom we see behind the pulpit or at the door greeting the congregation and visitors.

You have to know that it is God and not you or someone who asked you to be a part of the team.

Blessings and Guidance...:giveheart:

PaperClip

I say if you feel content with it, go for it. With one caveat...people who work inside of the church can quickly become disillusioned. You begin to see how some things work, and it could cause you to be discouraged. I say this as someone with lots of friends (and a dh) who worked at my old church.

Along with the points that Lauren stated here in terms of the interpersonal interactions and perspectives that come from full-time work in church ministry (which I did for two years), consider your PROFESSIONAL aspirations/mindset as well. When I worked for my church (it was much smaller when I worked there), I was working on my bachelor's degree. It didn't take long for me to recognize that my professional aspirations and my desires to serve in church ministry didn't completely align...um...how can I say...my co-workers did not have similar aspirations or perspectives with regard to higher education.... I hope I said that tactfully....

One thing I did not handle well was that whenever you go into the church doors, you are "on the clock".... It became a challenge for me to separate the church service from the "work" service, if you will.... I couldn't relax because there was always something to be done, somebody asking for something, etc.

I encourage you to pray and seek the Lord earnestly... it's an honor to be asked to serve in such a capacity, don't get me wrong, but it is necessary to be cognizant of the sacrifice of full-time church work....

Peace to you!

SEMO

I personally wouldn't do it. No church is perfect and there are already things that go on in church that I wish I didn't know or see. I'd be afraid that putting myself in a position that exposes me more to the "wrongs" would deter me from ever going back. It's really your call though... you should follow your spiritual instinct.

I agree. Unless I was sure that it was God who wanted me to take the job I wouldn't. I think that working at a church and being around the same people so often (for work, church, bible study, choir, etc.) can leaving you feeling burnt-out. And for me (this may not be a problem for you) I have a harder time saying no when someone in the church wants to take advantage of my time and resources. Plus, who knows, God may be using you as a witness on your 'secular' job. If all the Christians only hung around each other all the time where would the lost be?

But after all is said and done, you should do whatever God directs you to do.

Cleve_gryl

I agree. Unless I was sure that it was God who wanted me to take the job I wouldn't. I think that working at a church and being around the same people so often (for work, church, bible study, choir, etc.) can leaving you feeling burnt-out. And for me (this may not be a problem for you) I have a harder time saying no when someone in the church wants to take advantage of my time and resources. Plus, who knows, God may be using you as a witness on your 'secular' job. If all the Christians only hung around each other all the time where would the lost be?

But after all is said and done, you should do whatever God directs you to do.

I feel like its such a blessing that out of 15,000 people I was the one sought out...but, then I'm concerned about the bolded. Going to church is often my oasis from the world, and being there all the time might become taxing. I'm worried that I already have an answer and I'm overlooking it, or that I'm lacking something that is preventing me from getting my answer :perplexed Please say a prayer for me ladies, I need a Word here. :kiss:

Nice & Wavy

I feel like its such a blessing that out of 15,000 people I was the one sought out...but, then I'm concerned about the bolded. Going to church is often my oasis from the world, and being there all the time might become taxing. I'm worried that I already have an answer and I'm overlooking it, or that I'm lacking something that is preventing me from getting my answer :perplexed Please say a prayer for me ladies, I need a Word here. :kiss:

I wouldn't worry. Trust God. I've been doing this for 12 years and I'm a pastor myself, so it can be challenging. But, I've worked in the secular world too and I know the difference...working for a church is much more rewarding...JMPO.

Either way, if you would like to pm me about anything I can be helpful with, please let me know

ajoyfuljoy

I don't think God wants us to be unhappy. The answer as to whether or not you should accept the job should be in your heart (if you quiet yourself and listen).

One time I accepted a position in the church that I didn't really want, but the head of the group approached me about it. I was faithful to that group for 2 years...and hated it every time I had to be involved.

I was really torn because people kept saying how God could use me and it was such a big opportunity. But I made the decision that God would want me to be happy and be MYSELF. And being involved in that group simply wasn't me.

Also, whether or not you'll become disollusioned working for your church depends on the personal standards of your pastor and the office culture/underground culture at your church. There are a lot of churches that get real dirty behind the scenes. And other churches are just a dream to work with behind the scenes. Maybe ask someone who works for them already (who is one of your friend/acquaintances), or maybe try to go out to lunch with a group of the church employees and see how you feel about them. I hope this helps.

pearlygurl

I agree. Unless I was sure that it was God who wanted me to take the job I wouldn't. I think that working at a church and being around the same people so often (for work, church, bible study, choir, etc.) can leaving you feeling burnt-out.

Working at the church is not easier because you are in a Christian envirionment. I currently work full time at my church and she is right about possibly being burnt out. When you work where you worship its hard to sometimes separate the two. It's rewarding because you are doing work for the Lord, but it is very hard. But if God is directing you to work at the church then I would do it.

Cleve_gryl

Ladies, I've decided not to take the position. There were a number of factors leading up to my decision, but mainly because I did not feel lead. It was very attractive at first but once I dug deeper into it, it just was not me. Now I have to tell Elder my final decision today...I'm dreading it.

Nice & Wavy

Ladies, I've decided not to take the position. There were a number of factors leading up to my decision, but mainly because I did not feel lead. It was very attractive at first but once I dug deeper into it, it just was not me. Now I have to tell Elder my final decision today...I'm dreading it.

I say this....if it was the Lord telling you not to take the position...then, no dread is needed. Your Elder will understand.

I'm happy that you made a decision. Blessings to you, always!