Will her hair evr get back it's consistency?

Miss_Jetsetter

Will her hair ever get back it's consistency?

One of my close friends has super long, below bra-strap length hair. She has been using a lye relaxer FOR YEARS. Recently she had to go out of town un expectedly and decided to go to the salon. She uses Mizani and when she got to the Salon, she asked them to use this (she saw the sticker on the front door of the salon when she walked in). They were like sure. The stylist goes t the back, she guesses to get the relaxer. she then is asking one of the other stylists where the Mizani is and the other stylists goes back there and they were back there looking around for around 10 minutes. Finally, she emerges from the back with some relaxer in a bowl. I told her that this could have been anything. So she tells the stylist only to apply it to the new growth but winds up having to stop her becasue she was going too far down the shaft of her hair, relaxing the previously relaxed hair. She didn't burn luckily and she rinsed it out, neutrilized her, set her and all the usual things.

A day or two later, she noticed that her hair just doesn't 'feel right'. She said that it felt dry and her hair has never felt that way before. she knows I'm all on the hair boards so she called me up and explained what happened to me. I told her that they probably gave her a no-lye relaxer or the fact that the stylist relaxed more than just her new growth, that could also be the culprit. i saw her hair today and it has NO body whatsoever. I'm used to her hair swingin and blowin in the wind. It felt really dry. I told her that she should wait a few months til her hair hair grows out and get a LYE relaxer. She asked her her hair would go back to feeling 'normal'. I told her that i couldn't really say.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? What was the remedy? Please share. Thank you.

Last edited:

Lovelylocs

It hasnt happened to me before. Did they do a treatment after the relaxer?
Does her hair still feel dry after she washed it and did a treatment?
I am curious about this myself. I had a similar situation. Last fall, my hair was perfect! Then, I left someone try to dye my hair. My hair was unbelievably dry. It felt like yarn and was shedding. Now my hair breaks at the ends. Before, my hair was perfect and almost never did this b/c I took care of it so well. It is getting back on track, but it still isnt like it was. I am trying to get the consistency back too.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
It sounds like you gave her good advice and I agree that those were the same reasons why her hair turned out the way it is now.

BklynHeart

MissJet tell her to do some good protein treatments and just baby her hair. Hopefully it should get back to normal. :whip: :fishslap: :spank: on that hairdresser!!!

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
When stuff like that happens I recommend washing with a neutralizing shampoo just the case. The protein and a good moisturizer will help too. I would also roller set or wrap my hair and lay off the direct heat.

ADB

This happened to a friend of mine, and she used cathy house's UBH conditioner under a hood dryer for 30 min, and her hair became normal after a day or so. Any protein treatment should help. I heard from someone before that doing a protein treatment on your hair right after a relaxer can reverse the relaxer. I also hope she went straight home to wash her hair a couple of times to make sure the relaxer was all out. Hope this helps.

Last edited: