Wild Growth Hair Oil-Build Up

Radianthealth

It seems like everytime I find a product that I like, I get some type of weird result after using it for a while. I used WGHO on my hair with great results but lately it has made my hair feel like it is stuck together hard and full of buildup. I am following the directions and I only put it on my scalp. The same thing happened with Surge and a couple of other products that I used. I am still using ORS products except for the moisturizing creams they all don't work well with my hair. Currently I am using NTM moisturizer and S-Curl texturizer spray. This seems to work well without all the buildup.

Did anyone else get buildup from WGHO if so how did you overcome this???

crlsweetie912

I love WGO! I probably overuse it! :) I have never gotten build up. What are you using with it? Sorry this happened to you.

rosalindb

I suffered terrible build-up and threw my bottle away. I shampooed my hair about 5 times and I still could not get it all out - it was like trying to remove chewing gum from clothes

lana

Maybe this is why I have build up. I use WGHO as my only oil on my scalp and after I wash, I scratch test and I still have build up. I did this time and said forget - I rinsed AGAIN and my scalp still looked murky. I have to be careful of real clarifying conditioners because they dry my scalp out and the hair. So I usually shampoo several times with a moisturizing conditioner OR try shampooing after your conditioner and then put in a good leave in. My hairbuddy does this and it works for her.

Sometimes your conditioner can stay on your scalp. I hope you and I both find a solution.

HighlyFavored1

you might think about using a clarifying shampoo to clean out the WGO, especially if the clarifying conditioners dry your hair out. suave makes a Daily Clarying Shampoo (clear with a sun on the bottle, you can get a big bottle at wal-mart at a cheap price). It's technically meant for daily use so it really does the job without being to harsh on your hair. i'd follow up with a good conditioning treatment.

Tru_Mind

It may not be mixing well with another product that you are using. I don't get build-up...I only use WGO and a liquid leave-in.

KittenLongPaw

It makes my hair gummy and sticky too, especially when it's wet in the shower. I have been putting just a drop on my ends lately and it works well for that, no gummy buildup. It gets sticky if I use too much.

Maybe just try using (a lot) less?

kbody4

I used WGHO a couple of years ago and I stopped because my hair was starting to become gummy and I noticed that the build-up was white looking :confused: so I stopped because back then I didn't know about clarifying shampoos.

JazzyDez

I wish I wold have read this thread before I whipped out my bottle last night....my hair was HARD in the morning and I just DC'd the night before....applied NTM as a leave in and sealed with WGO and air dry :(

BrwnSugaBabee

If I have a lot of buildup from WGO I use dishwashing liquid. Sounds awful I know, but it is designed to cut grease/ oil. My stylist was complaining that my hair was still oily after wgo no matter how good I washed it. The dishwashing liquid really helped. Follow up with a goooood conditioner..I have seen no damage from this..But I only do it once every couple of months, after I have used WGO for like a week.

Radianthealth

Thanks ladies, It is good to know I am not the only one that got gummy hair from WGHO. I want to use the rest so I may thin it out with coconut oil...For now I am going to leave it alone though. I didn't use anything else in my hair. I followed the package instructions. I washed and conditioned my hair then I sealed the ends with the WGHO and put some on my scalp. The first time I did it my hair came out lovely with lots of structure and it softened my new growth the second time my hair was a gummy nasty mess.:mad:

AnjelLuvs

I guess I am the lone ranger, because this HAS neva happened to me before.... Although, I dont use str8 WGO.. I mix it with other oils.... I second the mixing with jojoba, which is one of the oils in concoction...

misswalker

Silly me, buying a product without checking on here first. Bought WGO yesterday, used it on my scalp, washed hair today and as my hairdresser took me from under the dryer, she said "greasy!" ...great!