Why the negative reviews on Affirm Fiberguard?

dreamgurl

Okay Affirm users,

Please help me out...I'm switching from Design Essentials Lye to Affirm (possibly) in a couple of weeks. I've used the Affrim years ago and I loved it, but the salon I'm considering moving to uses the Affirm Fiberguard. Since, I've read quite a few negative reviews about the Fiberguard...I was wondering, which strength were those who experienced dryness or shedding using? I see where they have mild, normal and resistant strengths so which one did the damage ladies? TIA

Nanyanika

it depends on the person, Ishevonne has good experiences. My aim was to proces my hair to waves. I was one of the unfortunate ones, an innnocent victim to Fiberguard lye mild lol, i suffered from serious underprocessing equalled very dry curls,plus major frizz and shrinkage(propobably also due to the stylist.) This after having a relacer put over my hair twice.I had breakage due to different textures. The Dryness factor occured because it wasn't very conditioning on my hair until i tried the original one. Not to mention tons of shedding, no matter what moisturisers or conditioners i used my hair was soooooo dry like the sahara desert. Both my sisters used the fiberguard mild and normal and ended up with very underprocessed hair, could be the stylist as well,,i feel quite guilty as i had introduced them to this relaxer..Good luck whatever you decide

dreamgurl

den1,

How come you or your sisters never tried the Fiberguard normal or resistant? I don't want any curls. I want straightness, especially if that's what I'm going to be paying for. It sounds as if I tried the mild, it would do the same to my hair as it did to yours. So maybe I'll consider the normal or resistant...I dunno /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

Nanyanika

My sister who is relaxed (straight)used Fiberguard normal to resistant strength and her hair still came out frizzy, she has 4a thick hair. The younger sister used mild because she has fine hair that didn't work out as expected, so she decided to have a corrective with the fiberguard normal for 20 minutes and her hair still didn't relax no where near straight she has 4a fine texture (so she has stuck with frizzy afro hair for a while until i performed a corrective with the orignal in mild, now she has texturized hair i.e. curls).

I had to use the original over my hair, to achieve curls, IMHO Fiberguard was hopeless but that's just my opinion it may work well for you, your better off performing strand tests to determine strength/timing so that you get the result you desire.

ubavka123

Well, I liked the results of Fiberguard on my hair (before my first wash!), but it made my scalp dry and itchy like crazy from the first day. I also had major shedding, the likes of which I hadn't seen in a long time. My hair didn't suffer too badly (except for being extremely dry and dull looking at the roots), but I figured, if I stuck with it for a second go-round, it might, or I might have gotten used to it (it was my first and last Fiberguard). I just did not want to take the chance. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif Now, I use regular Affirm and I am quite happy. No itchy scalp! And when I say itchy, I mean, my entire head was itchy. There was not a place on my scalp that did not itch within hours after receiving the relaxer (and yes, I was properly rinsed and neutralized). That being said, you might love it. There are some girls here who are fans as well.

I used regular strength Fiberguard, now I use regular Affirm, both lye.

Shawnee66

I used the fiberguard twice and didn't like the results. It left my hair lifeless and dry. It didn't give me any extra shedding but it didn't straighten my hair at all. My first time using Affirm I used the regular and I was pleased with the results, I don't know why I switched to the fiberguard.

lovechic

I HAVE HAD A GREAT EXPERIENCE WITH AFFIRM FIBERGUARD MILD LYE!!!! MY HAIR WAS SO SOFT, AND IT DIDN'T SHED! I PLAN ON STICKING WITH THIS ONE! I'M A HAPPY CAMPER! LOL!

angelbaby

The first time I used the Affirm Fiberguard mild lye, I thought my hair turned out beautiful. It was straight, little to no shedding, and shiny. The second touch up with the Fiberguard looked like I hadn't even relaxed my hair. It was extremely dry, hard, and frizzy. I have no idea what happened other than the fact that I used the Sustenance which I didn't use during the first touch up. I actually had to process my hair again.

The last time I relaxed, I flat ironed it first, applied Optimum pre-relaxer conditioner rather than the Protecto, and used the Optimum normalizer before shampooing the relaxer out. My hair came out straight and fine, little to no shedding. I really don't think I will be using my huge 4lb tub of Fiberguard again. What a waste of money. I think it's an awful product.

thiccknlong

i think what most don't know is...

fiberguard is MADE to underprocess hair, and preserve hair strength.

It's for damaged hair, or OVERprocessed hair. for ppl who's had damage, they still need a relaxer, but one with many conditioners and doesnt break down the cortex as much...thats the PURPOSE of fiberguard.

Now, if that's something you had no knowledge of before use, you were most likely dissapointed.

hope that helps !;)

krissyprissy

I loved Fiberguard for years because it never overprocessed my hair. It always had body and volume. I dont care about a little reversion. I switched to Silk Elements because I live in a new area that doesnt carry it.

Bint Yusef

Isnt that the relaxer they use at Curve to silken people?

If so, it would make sense that lots of people dont get straight hair with it.

sareca

thicknlong said:

It's for damaged hair, or OVERprocessed hair. for ppl who's had damage, they still need a relaxer, but one with many conditioners and doesnt break down the cortex as much...thats the PURPOSE of fiberguard.

Now, if that's something you had no knowledge of before use, you were most likely dissapointed.

hope that helps !;)

I didn't know that. That's kinda cool. :think:

Bint Yusef

thicknlong said:

hope that helps !;)
Yep that makes sense.