Why so many vitamins?

ocean74

Hello everyone,

PLEASE DON"T THINK I'M TRYING TO BE MEAN or HARSH, but I was just scrolling through this thread and just wondering why were some of you taking sooooo many vitamins/supplements for hair growth? Wow! Are they really helping you?

Will you pleeeease post some before and after pictures since you've been taking these vitamins. I've always thought taking alot of vitamins were not good for you, and just caring for your hair promotes hair growth - ex. wash 1-2x wk, massaging scalp, low use of comb/brush, daily moisturizing.. Maybe i'm just old fashioned.

Have any of you consulted with your Dr.'s before doing this?

Thanks in advance, Ladies

Co-signing, ocean74.

I take a multi-vitamin, but, it's for the things which are lacking in my diet, and not for the promotion of hair growth. The hair growth is a by-product of the vitamins and minerals contained in the multi-vitamin.

Of course, a good diet, exercise, and plenty of rest do much to promote hair growth.

I only use one Multi (Futurbiotics for Hair, Skin and Nails). I also see that a few people use A LOT of Vitamins and Supplements and have wondered too if they are actually working for them. I think anything in excess can be harmful. A lot of vitamins are excreted through urine anyway but others can build up and create problems...like Vitamin A or Iron for instance.... Some herbs can also be harmful--particularly when mixed with other herbs/supplements and many of these things have not been studied enough to know what harm they can do with prolonged use.

However, I'm sure most of the ladies here are very bright and know exactly what they are using and how to use it effectively. Many here have more knowledge than the FDA or manufacturers of the products anyway...lol:grin:.

Well, when I'm on point, I take about 9-10 vitamins a day but its not just for hair, its for my HEALTH!!!!! I think that if something works for you then go with it and if not then find what really does work. Some people can drink protein shakes and get good results and then yuou have body builders that say it does nothing for them. I tend not to worry about what everyone else does because it obstructs my view. I just get it how I live!:)

alot of people take hair vitamins but don't realize - if you aren't eating well and drinking lots of water then they are useless! they are supplements but aren't meant to be completely supplemented for the real thing. i think eating a balanced diet will help hair better than tons of vitamins...

Well, when I'm on point, I take about 9-10 vitamins a day but its not just for hair, its for my HEALTH!!!!! I think that if something works for you then go with it and if not then find what really does work. Some people can drink protein shakes and get good results and then yuou have body builders that say it does nothing for them. I tend not to worry about what everyone else does because it obstructs my view. I just get it how I live!:)

Same here!:grin:

alot of people take hair vitamins but don't realize - if you aren't eating well and drinking lots of water then they are useless! they are supplements but aren't meant to be completely supplemented for the real thing. i think eating a balanced diet will help hair better than tons of vitamins...

I totally agree with this:yep:.

I take alot of things too but it is for my health first and foremost.

I take flaxseed and borage oil because omega fatty acids are essential to a healthy body. Due to processing in foods, it is next to impossible to get enougth. I have seem tremendous benefits in my skin, blood pressure and my aunt flow issues.

I take a multi and multi-mineral to make sure I have my bases covered. The others things I take like b-complex and grapeseed extract do have hair benefits but the b-complex helps me deal with chapped lips and stress while the grapeseed extract helps protect my body from free radical damage.

It might seem like alot but when I consider the amount of filler in many products that americans eat, I don't see a problem.

I went supplement crazy for a minute myself and was taking a TON of vitamins/supplements daily. Some were for general health, but most were for my hair. What I realized later was that these supplements weren't compatible and some of them were even counteracting the affects of others. I'll even go as far as saying that I think taking them all together actually slowed down my growth. It wasn't until I quit them all cold turkey that my growth finally kicked back in.:ohwell:

I just started back up on some of the supplements. Only ONE of the supplements I'm taking now is specifically for hair, and its a multi-HSN. The other three are strictly health related.

I should have added that I take B-complex and Omega 3-6-9 as well as my HSN vitamin. I don't need anything else. This is enough for me. I use ground flaxseed in my foods but have always done this--for the past 10-15 years maybe.

Last edited:
Back