Why Does It Take Me Sooooooooo Long !!!!

JC-Junkie

Why does it take me sooooooo long to detangle ??? On Wednesday I pre-pooed my hair with alma oil and then washed it out the next day. My hair felt soft and yummy and then I put my deep conditioner all over my hair coating my hair generously. I started to detangle at 4:20 and finished at 8:30 !!!!!!!! Am I doing something wrong? I'm not gonna lie my hair came out lovely and there was very little breakage :):yep::):yep::):yep: But still that was sooooooooo long !!! I must admit I do finger detangle each coil, that sounds extra :ohwell: But it's because I don't want to leave out any knots that might cause trouble later. Myhair is almost armpit length, natural 4a. How are you ladies detangling and does it take you as long to detangle as it does me? Any advice ladies ??

TIA !!! And HHG !!!!!

Girl, bless your heart! 4 hours? I give it an hour tops bc it's a lil tricky 34 weeks post relaxer- but 4 hours!! Wow! :lol:

Have you ever tried using a detangler? I used to use Breck's Kids Detangler from Dollar Tree but stopped using it because of the cones. Now, AOHSR melts my tangles. It used to take me an hour to detangle but now it takes about 15-20 minutes. How long do you go inbetween detangling sections and how do you normally wear your hair? I honestly don't give my hair a chance to mat up really and I finger comb through it every night before I put it in my bedtime braids (1-4)

Have you tried keeping your hair in twists or braids? That what I do, so my hair doesn't tangle in the first place.

:blush:Thats a long time. You might want to try loading your hair with a conditioner that gives alot of slip . I'm 4a and my detangling takes about 30 minutes. Of course I keep my hair plaited in 4-6 sections, this really helps to reduce the tangles.

Have you tried washing your hair in braids? Or maybe you could detangle in sections with conditioner still in your hair. You might need something with some slip to speed up that process, or else you're going to get really frustrated in the long run.

ETA: I'm not natural, but check out this album (as long as you don't mind visiting fotki!) http://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/hair-care/tutorials/.

Check out Chicoro's washing and detangling tutorials.

Last edited:
Four hours is definitely a long time. I agree with the other ladies who mentioned that you should make sure that you are using a conditioner with a lot of slip.

Well there's nothing wrong with taking your time. Lots of people rush through the process then they're disappointed when they loose lots of hair. With that said you should probably try washing in braids. That should cut some of your time.

Have you tried keeping your hair in twists or braids? That what I do, so my hair doesn't tangle in the first place.

IA with this. What little detangling I have to do is rather quick and done on dry hair because I keep my hair in twists and I wash in braids.

Good gracious that's a long time. If it took me that long, I probably wouldn't bother. I'm predominately 4a, BSB, and it takes me 10-15 min to detangle once a week. I do it in the shower with super slippery con. and a wide tooth comb. I don't wear braids or twists, nor to I braid my hair up to detangle. I actually don't know why my hair doesn't tangle much :look:.

Thanks Ladies for your help!!! I detangle my hair once a week with the deep conditioner in my hair but I think it actually doesn't give me much slip :nono: I wear my hair in puffs most of the time because it's hard for me to stretch my hair into a ponytail still :sad: But i wash my hair in four twists and slip with the four twists and then let it dry so it's stretched out and doesn't shrink so much:yep: and because I'm not really going out lately I just leave my hair in the four twists :) But in the UK I don't know if I could get Aubrey Organics, and I don't know of any other conditioner that will give me lots of slip, I'm quite new to my hair journey sorry :blush::blush: Sometimes I just want to give in to the white crack !!! But I wont :nono: Do you ladie think I should wash my deep conditioner out and then put a conditioner that has a lot of slip in to detangle ? What are some of the best conditioners to use ? Sorry this is quite long !!

TIA !!!

Thanks Ladies for your help!!! I detangle my hair once a week with the deep conditioner in my hair but I think it actually doesn't give me much slip :nono: I wear my hair in puffs most of the time because it's hard for me to stretch my hair into a ponytail still :sad: But i wash my hair in four twists and slip with the four twists and then let it dry so it's stretched out and doesn't shrink so much:yep: and because I'm not really going out lately I just leave my hair in the four twists :) But in the UK I don't know if I could get Aubrey Organics, and I don't know of any other conditioner that will give me lots of slip, I'm quite new to my hair journey sorry :blush::blush: Sometimes I just want to give in to the white crack !!! But I wont :nono: Do you ladie think I should wash my deep conditioner out and then put a conditioner that has a lot of slip in to detangle ? What are some of the best conditioners to use ? Sorry this is quite long !!

TIA !!!
you can get Aubrey organics on ebay or many stores online and offline in London
http://www.essentialslondon.com/cat_name/aubrey_organics.aspx is a store based in Covent garden.
How long is your hair? Maybe you need to make smaller sections than 4 twists, and also wear puffs less often or braid it up before sleeping.
Also try to finger detangle with oil, i prepoo with Ojon restorative treatment (available nationwide, John Lewis stores, at QVC and ebay) overnight and detangle my hair when applying it.
this is a great instructional video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVzPoeq3cYg

PS: Phillip Kingsley elasticizer and elasticizer extreme are great deep conditioners for natural and relaxed hair ( they are expensive but very very good, and you can try buying the smaller sachets first); this saved my sanity when my hair grew too long for daily wash and gos, it makes the hair very soft escepicially if used with hear of left for a few hours.
http://www.feelunique.com/brands/philip-kingsley/treatments

Last edited:
Have you ever tried Herbal Essences Hello Hydration? Many naturals here like it. It gives so much slip.

Another suggestion is oil rinsing. It's worked for a lot of other naturals. It could work for you too.

I'm 4B/c and it takes me maybe 10 minutes for detangling my hair. and i have the same length as you. The best time i recommend for detangling hair, is after doing your deep treatment(hot oil treatment, or deep conditioning as you want to call it) with HEAT !! cause this, leaves my hair like it was a soft butter, and it also melts the tangles by itself. so after, even if I kept my cornrows for 2 full weeks, it will be supra easy for detangling.

JC-Junkie I don't know how long your hair is or if you are natural or relaxed but for me the Tangle Teezer with hair loaded with conditioner is the truth!!! I always detangle my hair before I wash it. I load my hair with Tresemme's Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner and then comb my hair with my Tangle Teaser. The Tangle Teezer beats out my Denman during this stage. I still like my Denman for brushing individual sections of hair prior to banding/braiding. I didn't care for the Tangle Teezer during this stage but it could have been the products I had in my hair that didn't have enough slip (experimenting with different leave-ins).

My hair is about 5 inches long, 4 a/b natural. Detangling can take anywhere from 15-30 minutes. It took me 5 minutes with the Tangle Teezer!

tbp121559_v0_l.jpg

pearl-blue-blue-teeth.jpg

you can get Aubrey organics on ebay or many stores online and offline in London
http://www.essentialslondon.com/cat_name/aubrey_organics.aspx is a store based in Covent garden.
How long is your hair? Maybe you need to make smaller sections than 4 twists, and also wear puffs less often or braid it up before sleeping.
Also try to finger detangle with oil, i prepoo with Ojon restorative treatment (available nationwide, John Lewis stores, at QVC and ebay) overnight and detangle my hair when applying it.
this is a great instructional video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVzPoeq3cYg

PS: Phillip Kingsley elasticizer and elasticizer extreme are great deep conditioners for natural and relaxed hair ( they are expensive but very very good, and you can try buying the smaller sachets first); this saved my sanity when my hair grew too long for daily wash and gos, it makes the hair very soft escepicially if used with hear of left for a few hours.
http://www.feelunique.com/brands/philip-kingsley/treatments

OMG !!!! Thank you !!! I've been looking for aubrey organic products for ages!!! How do you use it to get great slip for detangling? My hair is almost shoulder length natural 4a but even though it can get into a pony it doesn't look nice at all :nono: How do you use the other products ? Thanks so much for this info !!!!

Have you ever tried Herbal Essences Hello Hydration? Many naturals here like it. It gives so much slip.

Another suggestion is oil rinsing. It's worked for a lot of other naturals. It could work for you too.

Thanks ! I tried Hello Hydration and although I love the softness it leaves my hair, it didn't give me much slip to be honest :sad: Have you tried oil rinsing? how do you do it ? I thought that the pre poo with amla oil I did would give me slip but I guess not :lol:

I'm 4B/c and it takes me maybe 10 minutes for detangling my hair. and i have the same length as you. The best time i recommend for detangling hair, is after doing your deep treatment(hot oil treatment, or deep conditioning as you want to call it) with HEAT !! cause this, leaves my hair like it was a soft butter, and it also melts the tangles by itself. so after, even if I kept my cornrows for 2 full weeks, it will be supra easy for detangling.

Thanks yes we are of similar length I can see from your pic :yep: So do you leave the deep treatment in while detangling or wash it out and then detangle ?

4 hrs is too long. Are you washing your hair in sections? Are you overly manipulating during the DC step?
What DC are you using? If you like it but it doesn't have enough slip to ease detangling may I suggest adding some EVOO? Are you using a wide tooth comb? Have you tried to detangle prior to the wash step with a generous amount of oil?

If detangling takes more than a 1/2 hr (for me) it is quite frustrating. I can't imagine a 4 hr session.

Sorry Liberty I meant my hair is almost armpit length :yep:

4 hrs is too long. Are you washing your hair in sections? Are you overly manipulating during the DC step?
What DC are you using? If you like it but it doesn't have enough slip to ease detangling may I suggest adding some EVOO? Are you using a wide tooth comb? Have you tried to detangle prior to the wash step with a generous amount of oil?

If detangling takes more than a 1/2 hr (for me) it is quite frustrating. I can't imagine a 4 hr session.

I wash my hair in 4 sections which I have twisted. I get very little breakage so I don't think I manipulate my hair much. Most of the time my hair is in 4 jumbo twists, and I only style my hair, mostly puffs when going out :yep: I co wash my hair 2-3 times a week in twists. I tried adding EVOO to my DC but it didn't do much and so I tried EVCO but to no avail :nono: could you tell me how you detangle ? what steps do you take ?

Ladies could you give me a simple step by step routine of how you detangle your hair ?

Have you ever tried loading your hair with a detangler like cowboy magic, mane and tail detangler, etc (I put it right on top of my amla oil pre poo) and then detangling before you wash? I do this and find it much easier to deep condition after because I have no tangles left.

Hi Sistaslick :wave: It's so good to see you! I've read a lot of your old posts. Very helpful :yep: Thanks!

4 hrs sounds very long. A few months ago I had the ends of my hair mat together and even that catastrophe couldn't have taken more than an hour to work out. I have 4a/4b tightly coiled NL hair. I wear it in very small twists usually and then wear a tight twists out for a day or two. So I start my detangling process the night before or hours before I shampoo.

--I spray my hair with water and coat it with coconut oil and baggy overnight or for an hour.
--If needed I follow it with a conditioner/water mix.
--I section my hair into 4 sections and then finger detangle and then detangle with a wide tooth comb.
--My hairs too short for twsits so I just have it held together with barrettes.
--I shampoo/conditioner in sections.
--Because my hair is short I detangle with a wide tooth comb after I have added all my products. Even if I do it with the conditioner in I still have to detangle again later.

Yesterday I detangled prewash (10 minutes) and after applying all my products (10 minutes) and I had very little hair shed and that was after rocking my style for over a week.

My hair isn't as long as yours but 4 hrs is still very long. I noticed for me there is a major relationship with my maintaining the moisture in my hair during the week and the ease of detangling. HTH

Thanks ladies !! Sheba1 do you detangle with the cow boy magic and amla oil and then wash it out and then apply your DC ? Lovely hair by the way ladies !!!!

Would it be better if I prepooed my hair with an oil and then add a conditioner which had lots of slip (don't know which one yet) detangle my hair with the conditioner still in, wash it out and then apply my DC ?? Sorry I'm so slow so it take me time :blush:

Also what are some good conditioner with great slip? Do you think that would help?

Bumping for more simple routines ladies ! TIA

Steps to detangle.
Section your dry hair in 2-8 sections using braids, twists, or clips
Saturate each section with EVOO
Finger detangle--wide tooth comb---fine tooth comb each section
Braid,twist ,or clip back up and continue with your wash routine.

Steps to detangle.
Section your dry hair in 2-8 sections using braids, twists, or clips
Saturate each section with EVOO
Finger detangle--wide tooth comb---fine tooth comb each section
Braid,twist ,or clip back up and continue with your wash routine.

Thanks alot !!! I'll definately try this ! How long did it take you to finish ?

Are there any conditioners for great slip ? any more step by step detangling routines ?

Thanks ladies !! Sheba1 do you detangle with the cow boy magic and amla oil and then wash it out and then apply your DC ? Lovely hair by the way ladies !!!!

I sure do, JC-Junkie. I keep a spray bottle near by also with either water, water/cheapie con mix or infusium 23. The water, oil, cone combo give me much slip.

Would it be better if I prepooed my hair with an oil and then add a conditioner which had lots of slip (don't know which one yet) detangle my hair with the conditioner still in, wash it out and then apply my DC ?? Sorry I'm so slow so it take me time :blush:

Sounds great to me. Try it and see how you feel!

Also what are some good conditioner with great slip? Do you think that would help?

Bumping for more simple routines ladies ! TIA

Any cheapie Vo5 con with the added amla oil or cowboy magic really does it for me. I like moisture milks a lot but they all work just fine.

I sure do, JC-Junkie. I keep a spray bottle near by also with either water, water/cheapie con mix or infusium 23. The water, oil, cone combo give me much slip.

Sounds great to me. Try it and see how you feel!

Any cheapie Vo5 con with the added amla oil or cowboy magic really does it for me. I like moisture milks a lot but they all work just fine.

Thank You so much Sheba !!!! I keep you posted on how it goes ??
Are there any more slippery conditioners so I have a variety ?

Why does it take me sooooooo long to detangle ??? On Wednesday I pre-pooed my hair with alma oil and then washed it out the next day. My hair felt soft and yummy and then I put my deep conditioner all over my hair coating my hair generously. I started to detangle at 4:20 and finished at 8:30 !!!!!!!! Am I doing something wrong? I'm not gonna lie my hair came out lovely and there was very little breakage :):yep::):yep::):yep: But still that was sooooooooo long !!! I must admit I do finger detangle each coil, that sounds extra :ohwell: But it's because I don't want to leave out any knots that might cause trouble later. Myhair is almost armpit length, natural 4a. How are you ladies detangling and does it take you as long to detangle as it does me? Any advice ladies ??

TIA !!! And HHG !!!!!

I'm mostly 4b and detangling takes a long time for me for the same reason. I rather go slow and gentle to keep my strands.

I'm mostly 4b and detangling takes a long time for me for the same reason. I rather go slow and gentle to keep my strands.

Thanks aa9746 ! I get scared that I might leave a tangle in or I might break my hair, so I take long but I thin kif I get a good slippery conditioner or use some kind of oil then the process can be done quicker. My arms start to hurt so bad :(

Back