Why do folks hate Asian BSS owners?

I lived in Korea in '96 and '97, and guess what? Their wrath isn't only reserved for Black folks. They're like that to EACH OTHER, too! They're equal opportunity a$$holes. :yep:

If you've lived IN Korea WITH Koreans, you get a better understanding of their culture and mannerisms. My cousins get mad and see disrespect in their actions, but I don't. I guess I just see them through different eyes. They absolutely crack me up!

I vividly remember being lost as HELL when I first got there. I was in this city called Kwang ju (which is like 4 HOURS from where I was SUPPOSED to be!). Well, I'm on the dang bus with very little won, and I'm asking the driver does this bus go to the train station. He told me in no uncertain terms - either I want on the bus or no. If so, give him my money, sit down and shut up. If not, get off his bus. What made it so funny yall, he was PARKED at the bus stop with the engine off, reading a magazine - so apparently he was running WAY ahead of schedule, and needing to kill a lil time. He had all the time in the world, and was STILL trippin cause I had a question, and interrupted his magazine reading. :lachen:

Thank God for the Jehova's Witnesses that were out there. (Yes yall, they are even in the middle of nowhere Korea!) But they made sure I got to the train station and on the right train (in exchange for a few minutes of my time and a couple of their pamphlets, of course. :look:) But God Bless 'em for that!

Another time, two shop keepers almost came to blows when I was trying to buy a leather coat (which they both happen to be selling in their stores) and I asked how much? He said "how much HE say?" pointing at the stall across they way? I said "$80". He said "I give to you for 65." :grin:

The other shop owner saw me leaving with that coat and was HEATED. He came over and they started arguing and cussing each other out - too crazy. :catfight:

Those are only a couple of my funniest memories (of the many thousands) of my time living there. Koreans are COMEDIANS to me!:lachen:

i don't agree with this at all. i remember when i used to shop at the asian BSS stores on the regular (i live in iowa now, so NO ONE owns a BSS in my town, we only have sally's) and they have always been friendly. i have only had ONE bad experience, but it was one person, so i didn't allow that to ruin my impression overall. i have seen african americans working at three asian owned BSS in different states and thought it was cool.

you have to remember, their culture is very family oriented, so it's not about NOT hiring blacks, it's more about ONLY hiring family. think about it, how many times have you seen a caucasian person, hispanic person, or even a different asian ethnicity working in the same asian owned stores? probably not too often. what makes them successful is getting their families involved and taking care of each other.

i also see these same store owners shopping at stores in the neighborhood, eating in restaurants, etc. so they are supporting their communities. what would they have to do to emphasize this to those that feel they don't contribute? they know that their reputation and how they treat their neighbors and customers inside and outside of their store contribute to their success.

i find it funny that people trumpet supporting black owned businesses who DON'T hire non african american workers, and some who don't even support their own communities to the same extent, just because it's black owned. we impose a double standard on other minority communities. we want them to hire us, cater to us, but run around saying, 'black owned', 'black employees', 'black power', 'black wealth.' and berate the other folks. it's backwards. how about all of us minorities just support each other?
Are you aware that Asian BSS systematically keep African American BSS out of the market?
When looking at the little picture, I can understand why you feel the way that you do. However, I was taught (B.A. African American Studies, M.A. African American Studies, Fall 09 future law student) and I prefer to look at the bigger picture, which is why I feel the way I do.
But, like I said before, at the end of the day I do with my money as I please.

Peace

I know the main reason I dislike them is because I've heard that they refuse to sell hair products to black business owners because they don't want the competition.

I know the main reason I dislike them is because I've heard that they refuse to sell hair products to black business owners because they don't want the competition.

I thought that was called Capitalism in America?!

I still don't get it... I never knew the Koreans (most of which are newly immigrated) are the keepers of all things hair for black folks... Maybe I'm naive, but I thought business owners go through DISTRIBUTORS for their supplies and products to sell.

I can't speak for all Black business owners, like I can't speak for all Korean business owners; I just know the ones I deal with in my area are nice, helpful, and run a pretty respectable business on the surface.

That's the problem with capitalism... it's a dog-eat-dog world. You can't sit and whine if you wanna play to win. I don't think the Koreans are sitting whining about White folks not selling them stuff so they don't compete with Sally's. :look:

I could care less who owns the BSS so long as they carry my products. Nearly every BSS that I've seen in NYC is Korean owned but they tend to employ 95% African Americans.

I think some of you are getting way off topic. The topic did not ask why people hate all Koreans or all Asian people. The topic asked specifically about Asian BSS owners. That being said, I don't think anyone hates them and I think hate is a very strong and unnecessary word. I also think the original poster is very one-sided on this topic, and it's obvious.

you are absolutely right, they don't sit there and complain about white folks or anyone else not giving them anything they just manufacture it themselves and make the profit. That is fine, however, it would be nice if black people could benefit from the profits of black hair products. I just think it would be neat.

I thought that was called Capitalism in America?!

I still don't get it... I never knew the Koreans (most of which are newly immigrated) are the keepers of all things hair for black folks... Maybe I'm naive, but I thought business owners go through DISTRIBUTORS for their supplies and products to sell.

I can't speak for all Black business owners, like I can't speak for all Korean business owners; I just know the ones I deal with in my area are nice, helpful, and run a pretty respectable business on the surface.

That's the problem with capitalism... it's a dog-eat-dog world. You can't sit and whine if you wanna play to win. I don't think the Koreans are sitting whining about White folks not selling them stuff so they don't compete with Sally's. :look:

I think the no return policy is good in some cases. I have seen many a busted hood rat cussin the Korean BBS owner out because she couldn't get a refund on a sweaty, funky ponytail she bought the other day and that night, wore to the club LOL and don't get my started on those run over Chinese slippers... negros acting like their at the shoe department in Macy's!

I lived in Korea in '96 and '97, and guess what? Their wrath isn't only reserved for Black folks. They're like that to EACH OTHER, too! They're equal opportunity a$$holes. :yep:

If you've lived IN Korea WITH Koreans, you get a better understanding of their culture and mannerisms. My cousins get mad and see disrespect in their actions, but I don't. I guess I just see them through different eyes. They

Those are only a couple of my funniest memories (of the many thousands) of my time living there. Koreans are COMEDIANS to me!:lachen:

I've often thought of Koreans as Black folx with edge, just in Korean! Funny. Just today at the bss, some lady stole something and they called her back in the store. I was just entering. The owner and workers were joking about checking everybody, wallets, pants, underwear and bras lolol! The girl said, "you know when you came in here, yo' titties wa'nt that big." Ahahahaha

Last edited:
Maybe I'm naive, but I thought business owners go through DISTRIBUTORS for their supplies and products to sell.

That's the problem with capitalism... it's a dog-eat-dog world. You can't sit and whine if you wanna play to win. . :look:

Blacks can't compete because their prices reflect the higher wholesale cost which is near or at retail. They are shut out of the big distributor clubs that have monopolized the market. So are Mexicans. If you're Sally's, then you have leeway. But for the small business owner, it's a nightmare.

It's the same way in England. If you're Asian, you're in. Most people here are not hating, they are looking at the bigger "capitalist" picture in which certain ethnicities of people are systematically being closed out. It's more complicated than the general slapping the "lazy negro" image on Blacks. My father owned one as well as other businesses and he's nobody's slacker. He had to get out of the bss.

Back