Why did Adam Rename Eve?

momi

Hello Ladies!

I have a random question - Adam initially named his wife Woman:

he man said, “This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: She shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” Genesis 2:23

Woman: ishshah - woman, wife, or female

Then in Gen 3:20 - he renames her Eve:

Eve: Chavvah - the mother of all living.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why he changed/added to her name?

I have my own... but I'd like to hear from others first.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Hello Ladies!

I have a random question - Adam initially named his wife Woman:

he man said, “This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: She shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” Genesis 2:23

Woman: ishshah - woman, wife, or female

Then in Gen 3:20 - he renames her Eve:

Eve: Chavvah - the mother of all living.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why he changed/added to her name?

I have my own... but I'd like to hear from others first.

Good topic ... :up:

What I find interesting is that Adam named her 'Eve' after the 'Fall'.

When God approached Adam and Eve after the Fall, He told her that as part of her punishment that she would bear her children in great pain.

My thoughts are that Adam confirmed her as the mother of 'All' living by calling her Eve, bearing witness to God's plan to continue human life via child bearing with her.

Here's another thought and I hope it reads well. Often I've wondered what would have happened if Adam had 'refused' to eat of the fruit that Eve handed to him? Where would humanity be?

Eve was deceived by the serpent to eat of the fruit, yet Adam was right there beside her and did not stop her; and of his own free will, he ate of it too.

Part of me wants to believe that Adam loved her so much, that he could not allow her to take the blame alone. He knew from God's direct command to him, personally, not to touch the fruit of that particular tree, yet he took of it when Eve gave it to him...because he loved her.

Of course when God questioned him, he blamed Eve, out of fear. But after the punishment was pronounced over them, he called her Eve, life-giver, for not only was she to give life to future children, she still gave life to Adam who was no longer alone, because she was indeed still bone of his bone, flesh of his flesh and he loved her...beyond the fruit of any tree. He chose to share the blame, and so he did take and eat the fruit thereof.

This is what Jesus did for each of us...He took the blame. He was right there beside us as we sinned and disobeyed, betrayed and rebelled against God, yet He took the 'fruit' of our sins, and ate of them, bearing in and upon His body and soul, putting the 'serpent' out of control of our lives forever. Amen.

All to Jesus...we surrender all...even the forbidden fruits in our lives.

Amen.

I hope this makes sense momi. Thank you for posting this thread.

:bighug:

CoilyFields

I always assumed that when he named her woman with classifying her gender. So she was a woman and he was a man but he had a name "Adam". Then, Because names back then were very significant and identified who you were, after the fall he names her Eve. And I really didn't find it odd that he waited because I know a lot of cultures wait until a child is up to two years old before they name them so the name can be particular to that childs personality.
So it really wasn't a rename because she remained a woman.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Hi momi, interesting question..and this is my take on it.

Before the fall "Adam" (or Ish, which means 'man') was given authority to name all creatures God created. When woman was created, she was created from him and not directly from the earth, and so she is really a part of him. We know that that is God creating man in His image - both male and female. There was harmony and balance. I don't believe then, that as they are one, he had authority over her as he did with the other creatures. They had joint dominion over the earth.

After the fall, God could have easily had destroyed them but instead reprimanded them (Gen 3: 14-17). To me, that is grace. After that is when Adam names her Eve (or Zoe or Chavvah) to identify her role or function as a woman, submitted to man.

She has always been Woman, named by God through Adam at her creation.

I look forward to yours and others' thoughts as well..

Nice & Wavy

Great question:yep:. I agree with the other ladies...I would have just repeated what has already been said. I'm interested on your take on this, Momi.

MrsHaseeb

Threads like this are why I continue to visit this forum. I have learned so much from many of you ladies. Excellent topic.

momi

I wish I was better at the multi-quote feature.

These all seem to be plausible... You all are some wise women!

God's wisdom is "manifold" - so I believe there could be more than one "correct" answer.

My thoughts:

Prior to the fall Adam named her woman because he identified in her all that he was missing in a proper helper. She was woman and more specifically "his woman" because she was specifically designed to be a helper suited "for him".

After the fall and at the Protoevangelium announcement - he then recognized her as not only his Woman - but Eve (life giver). Not only would she give birth to natural children, but also the Coming Savior - who would deal the ultimate and final blow to satan - giving us all (who choose) eternal life!

momi

Good topic ... :up:

My thoughts are that Adam confirmed her as the mother of 'All' living by calling her Eve, bearing witness to God's plan to continue human life via child bearing with her.

Eve was deceived by the serpent to eat of the fruit, yet Adam was right there beside her and did not stop her; and of his own free will, he ate of it too.

I hope this makes sense momi. Thank you for posting this thread.

:bighug:

It made perfect sense. I love the wording of that - he "confirmed" her... :yep:

momi

I always assumed that when he named her woman with classifying her gender. So she was a woman and he was a man but he had a name "Adam". Then, Because names back then were very significant and identified who you were, after the fall he names her Eve. And I really didn't find it odd that he waited because I know a lot of cultures wait until a child is up to two years old before they name them so the name can be particular to that childs personality.
So it really wasn't a rename because she remained a woman.

That was my first thought - that her initial name was only to identify her gender... maybe recognizing that he finally was given a counterpart as he'd already noticed in the other animals?

momi

Hi momi, interesting question..and this is my take on it.

Before the fall "Adam" (or Ish, which means 'man') was given authority to name all creatures God created. When woman was created, she was created from him and not directly from the earth, and so she is really a part of him. We know that that is God creating man in His image - both male and female. There was harmony and balance. I don't believe then, that as they are one, he had authority over her as he did with the other creatures. They had joint dominion over the earth.

After the fall, God could have easily had destroyed them but instead reprimanded them (Gen 3: 14-17). To me, that is grace. After that is when Adam names her Eve (or Zoe or Chavvah) to identify her role or function as a woman, submitted to man.

She has always been Woman, named by God through Adam at her creation.

I look forward to yours and others' thoughts as well..

Thanks Laela!

Do you think that the order of creation and his authority to name her already symbolized headship?

momi

Great question:yep:. I agree with the other ladies...I would have just repeated what has already been said. I'm interested on your take on this, Momi.

Threads like this are why I continue to visit this forum. I have learned so much from many of you ladies. Excellent topic.

I pretty much repeated as well N&W - lol Go ahead and chime in! :drunk:

MrsHaseeb - I couldn't agree more... there is always so much to learn here. I'd like to know your thoughts as well. We are all learning. :yep:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member

God's wisdom is "manifold" - so I believe there could be more than one "correct" answer.

My thoughts:

Prior to the fall Adam named her woman because he identified in her all that he was missing in a proper helper. She was woman and more specifically "his woman" because she was specifically designed to be a helper suited "for him".

After the fall and at the Protoevangelium announcement - he then recognized her as not only his Woman - but Eve (life giver). Not only would she give birth to natural children, but also the Coming Savior - who would deal the ultimate and final blow to satan - giving us all (who choose) eternal life!

I love the beauty of the bolded. "His Woman". Adam and Eve were made for each other, nothing, no one else in between. The Beauty of 'One', Man and Wife with God.

ETA:

momi: I don't know why but I 'see' you standing before women in a class setting Ministering/Teaching this. Perhaps you've been sharing this all along, however, I see it becoming expanded to women who are open to the Truth of God and Marriage.

Nice & Wavy

My thoughts:

This is really good stuff. :yep::yep::yep:

Laela

momi, yes, I certainly do, which is why Paul called Jesus the Second Adam.. :yep: Jesus is head of the Church, those who choose Life:

1 Corin 15:45-49
And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.”[d] The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord[e] from heaven. As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust; and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear[f] the image of the heavenly Man.

Blessings!

Thanks Laela!

Do you think that the order of creation and his authority to name her already symbolized headship?

delitefulmane

momi, yes, I certainly do, which is why Paul called Jesus the Second Adam.. :yep: Jesus is head of the Church, those who choose Life:

And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.”[d] The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual. The first man was of the earth, made of dust; the second Man is the Lord[e] from heaven. As was the man of dust, so also are those who are made of dust; and as is the heavenly Man, so also are those who are heavenly. And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear[f] the image of the heavenly Man.

Blessings!

This is good stuff as well! I never read these verses before but this makes complete sense.:yep::yep::yep:

SN:
From an English majors point of view, the bible is SUCH a GREAT text; full of imagery, similes and tons of figurative language. Every time I read the bible, my heart and mind leaps!! :lol:

Laela

Bolded... a hearty nod to this delitefulmane! I agree...

:yep:
This is good stuff as well! I never read these verses before but this makes complete sense.:yep::yep::yep:

SN:
From an English majors point of view, the bible is SUCH a GREAT text; full of imagery, similes and tons of figurative language. Every time I read the bible, my heart and mind leaps!! :lol:

momi

Blessings!

SN:

Hi Laela! - I agree...

delitefulmane - I've never thought if the Bible in this way... beautiful assessment :drunk: