Why Black Men Stopped Relaxing & Women Continued?

Sarafina

Why did using a chemical to straighten hair fall out among black men, but continue among black women?

I was just reading a thread on the meaning of nappy hair, and one of the posts talked about how popular conking (something men did to straighten hair) was from the 1930s to 1960s. Why do you all think it stopped among men but not among women?

I know some men texturize their hair (which keeps it more African looking than completely straightening), but you don't often see it completely straight anymore. I've been marinating on it and I'm wondering what ya'll think.

WomanlyCharm

That's a good question...let's ask Rev. Al Sharpton! :lachen:

I'm just kidding, girl! Honestly, it may have had something to do with the black power movement that happened in the 60's. Plus, men relaxing happened mostly in the larger cities like New York...you sure didn't see Lil' Willie down in Macomb, Mississippi doing it. I think it was just one of those fashionable fads that died out.

But the black men liked seeing their women with the long straight hair (I'm not even going to get into what all that means!)...and many of the women liked how it looked too. So the cycle of relaxing continued for black women.

these days relaxing is about more than fashion...it's about personal freedom of choice, and the hair being easier to handle for many of us.

Just my thoughts.

Mahalialee4

They watched the movie "Malcolm X" and the toilet bowl scene left a deep impression. Had it been Betty Shiraz(?) in that scene, maybe the men would be relaxing and the ladies would be all natural.....(just cuttin up over here lololol......bonjour

blkbeauty

True and I think hair with men has taken a SIGNIFICANT turn. In DC I see so many men with locks or braids down their back that is not only extremely healthy, but it is truly gorgeous!

MissYocairis

Mahalialee4 said:
They watched the movie "Malcolm X" and the toilet bowl scene left a deep impression. Had it been Betty Shiraz(?) in that scene, maybe the men would be relaxing and the ladies would be all natural.....(just cuttin up over here lololol......bonjour

Girl, "Shiraz" is wine. She was Betty "Shabazz". :p (that was kute)

sareca

My uncles said it was too much work to keep an every 4 week touch up schedule. That and my family looks down on men with long hair.

kbody4

WomanlyCharm said:
That's a good question...let's ask Rev. Al Sharpton! :lachen:

I'm just kidding, girl! Honestly, it may have had something to do with the black power movement that happened in the 60's. Plus, men relaxing happened mostly in the larger cities like New York...you sure didn't see Lil' Willie down in Macomb, Mississippi doing it. I think it was just one of those fashionable fads that died out.

But the black men liked seeing their women with the long straight hair (I'm not even going to get into what all that means!)...and many of the women liked how it looked too. So the cycle of relaxing continued for black women.

these days relaxing is about more than fashion...it's about personal freedom of choice, and the hair being easier to handle for many of us.

Just my thoughts.

Ok, I just had to laugh at this comment! :lachen:

JazzyDez

I think maintenance plays a large factor. And very curly/kinky hair is more difficult to maintain the longer it gets IMO. Since in general women wear their hair longer than men that would be more of an issue.

Also most of the men I know dont wear their hair long enough to relax it.....mostly fades and ceasars.....and the ones who do wear thair hair long usually have braids or dreads. You dont see too many men rockin fro's these days.....

Shoot you can ask Sharpton.....and Don King

so1913

JazzyDez said:
I think maintenance plays a large factor. And very curly/kinky hair is more difficult to maintain the longer it gets IMO. Since in general women wear their hair longer than men that would be more of an issue.

Also most of the men I know dont wear their hair long enough to relax it.....mostly fades and ceasars.....and the ones who do wear thair hair long usually have braids or dreads. You dont see too many men rockin fro's these days.....

Shoot you can ask Sharpton.....and Don King

Shoot, have ya'll see Don's hair lately????

He needs to let it go....cause it sure is letting him go! LOL! His troll hair style probably reaches 2-3 inches in height these days.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

LoL @ this thread, I have no idea why men don't relax anymore but I sure am happy as all get out that they don't, :lol: , because I would probably still be single I think it's feminine, and even when men have braids that are extremely long, that's a nono in my book.
But I do believe it was more of a fad back then that got payed out.

Arcadian

Lets not forget in the 80's when having a curl was all the rage.

I saw lots of guys with them things.

I think that its about about fads and fashion though.

-A

JazzyDez

so1913 said:
Shoot, have ya'll see Don's hair lately????

He needs to let it go....cause it sure is letting him go! LOL! His troll hair style probably reaches 2-3 inches in height these days.

:lachen:

Maybe he needs to come to LHCF and learn how to moisturize his situation so its not breaking off!!