Why are texture classifications noted for relaxed heads?

PaperClip

This question has been in the back of my head for a while.... Just curious to know the reasoning that those with relaxed hair would also note their hair texture classification (4a, 3b, etc.).

What's the purpose? Doesn't the relaxer make the texture question moot?

Please note: this question is asked out of genuine curiosity, not to start mess, 'cause I'm not in the mood to justify my inquiry or defend my curiosity.... In the words of MJB: NO (MORE) DRAMA!

I will say that it is a little disappointing to read a message and think, wow, this sounds like this could help me, but then get to the end of the message or signature and see that the poster is relaxed.

Appreciate the intelligent, candid, thought-provoking responses.

Doesn't the relaxer make the texture question moot?
no

relaxed type 2a hair looks and behaves differently than relaxed 4b

I guess it's because our original texture is pretty important since many of the relaxed heads on here stretch their relaxers and conseuquently have to deal with the 3b/4a/4b/whatever textured new growth (and sometimes quite a lot of it!), in addition to their relaxed hair. Also someone with 4zzz hair who relaxes with a stronger relaxer for the full recommended time and still doesn't get their hair pin straight will have a very different relaxing/maintainance experience than say a 3b whose hair relaxes straight with a mild.

Last edited:
Different relaxers take differently depending on the texture of the hair. I usually look to type 4's for suggestions on relaxers and maintenance products. It is also very important for stretching because differences between natural and straightened hair texture often dictates the amount of time people can stretch.

Also I think type 4 hair is the most fragile so when I see great looking relaxed type 4 hair I am very curious to know which products and methods are being used.

Well, my sister is a coarse 3b/4a and I am a 4a/b. She can relax her hair, blowdry it and then put in permanent color with no prob. In fact, her hair even though the curl pattern is alot looser, is more resistant than mine. She has relaxed her hair almost every month with no problems with breakage.

That's an interesting question. :scratchch

I feel it 's important to add my hair texture type in my siggy because the products I use on my mostly 4b head may help someone else with a similar hair type. A relaxed type 2 or 3 may have some different needs or techniques, from what I've learned on this board, and it looks different to me when relaxed. A type 4b relaxed head looks different to me than a type 4a relaxed head and while we all need moisture in our hair, type 4bs are much drier and may behave differently when relaxed than other hair types.

When I read suggestions by naturals, I look to see how it can work on my relaxed hair and I've learned a lot this way. There are things in common relaxed and natural heads have.

My hair which is 4a b even tho its relaxed is much different from a persons hair who is 3a b relaxed.
I guess basically the same as the other ladies were saying..lol

I agree with all the statement being made above, however your hair type is your hair type regardless of how you choose to wear it. relaxed, natural, texlax, texurized or whatever the case. Before joining this forum i was very ignorant to the different things that i could do with my hair and how to maintain a healthy head of 4a hair, and to come to this forum and see so many different things being done with my specific hair type has made me want to try it all. To see a natural 4a head of hair as pretty as so many i have seen since joining has opened my eyes to possibly transitioning myself. So to answer the question at hand, no i do not think that your hair type becomes moot if you relax because bottom line your hair type is always gonna be the same because no matter what you do that is the type that will continue to sprout from your head.

To be honest, when I first joined I added my hair texture because I saw it in everyone elses siggy and thought it was the thing to do (like being able to identify what others w/your texture maybe using). But I no longer have it in my siggy for other reasons.

destiny616 said:
Doesn't the relaxer make the texture question moot?
no

relaxed type 2a hair looks and behaves differently than relaxed 4b

Ditto, as so of a natural type 2 than a person who relaxed to type 2-3. Verrry different.

I want to know for the same reason you want to know (RR). Product recommendations and advice.

The same questions can go for a natural head who chooses to use curl enhancing or non-chemical straightening products.

LocksOfLuV said:
Ditto, as so of a natural type 2 than a person who relaxed to type 2-3. Verrry different.

I want to know for the same reason you want to know (RR). Product recommendations and advice.

The same questions can go for a natural head who chooses to use curl enhancing or non-chemical straightening products.

Hmm... ok... this prompts another question....

These texture classifications (however biased they might be) relate primarily to TEXTURE, yes? In terms of size/width of curl/coil pattern, not necessarily porosity, thickness, elasticity, heat resistance, etc...so any kind of process that changes the texture again, would eliminate, or at least reduce the distinctions among texture?

Am I circling the major point that's already been stated?

RelaxerRehab said:

These texture classifications (however biased they might be) relate primarily to TEXTURE, yes? In terms of size/width of curl/coil pattern, not necessarily porosity, thickness, elasticity, heat resistance, etc...so any kind of process that changes the texture again, would eliminate, or at least reduce the distinctions among texture?

Change the texture permantly or temp. (through the usage of products-curl enhancing creams, liso straightening creams, whatever)? Just answering the question on first thought I would answer:Yes ma'am!

But the hair typing thing is a figment of each of our imaginations (IMHO). Basicly what I am saying is it is relative to the person and basicly what they want. Some people may have coily natural hair and think type 4's have no curls so they go with the 3s or vice versa.

I think the way I type hair is ttoooootally diff. from most people here.

RelaxerRehab said:
This question has been in the back of my head for a while.... Just curious to know the reasoning that those with relaxed hair would also note their hair texture classification (4a, 3b, etc.).

What's the purpose? Doesn't the relaxer make the texture question moot?

Please note: this question is asked out of genuine curiosity, not to start mess, 'cause I'm not in the mood to justify my inquiry or defend my curiosity.... In the words of MJB: NO (MORE) DRAMA!

I will say that it is a little disappointing to read a message and think, wow, this sounds like this could help me, but then get to the end of the message or signature and see that the poster is relaxed.

Appreciate the intelligent, candid, thought-provoking responses.

I have to admit that this is something that I also did at the beginning when I first transitioned. I paid a lot more attention to the advice that natural heads gave than relaxed heads:perplexed because I thought that their hair was closer to mine...but then I thought about it...and on some issues, it just dosen't matter. For example, on issues of dryness, I gotten great advice from relaxed 4a/b's, especially since they have the added issue of combating dryness due to use of a chemical. I know look at the condition of the persons hair before I decide whether or not to follow advice.:grin:

My two cents.
C

LocksOfLuV said:
Change the texture permantly or temp. (through the usage of products-curl enhancing creams, liso straightening creams, whatever)? Just answering the question on first thought I would answer:Yes ma'am!

But the hair typing thing is a figment of each of our imaginations (IMHO). Basicly what I am saying is it is relative to the person and basicly what they want. Some people may have coily natural hair and think type 4's have no curls so they go with the 3s or vice versa.

I think the way I type hair is ttoooootally diff. from most people here.

Hmm... ok... the challenges to the existing texture classification systems are certainly valid points and are a part of the overarching conversation.... But in the narrow content of this inquiry, for the sake of conversation, these classifications are what we're working with here.... So I humbly ask again, if the goal is to achieve straight (texture-free) hair, then... maybe I'm answering my own question....

RelaxerRehab said:
Hmm... ok... the challenges to the existing texture classification systems are certainly valid points and are a part of the overarching conversation.... But in the narrow content of this inquiry, for the sake of conversation, these classifications are what we're working with here.... So I humbly ask again, if the goal is to achieve straight (texture-free) hair, then... maybe I'm answering my own question....

uhhh, I think i get the question :lachen:.

RelaxerRehab said:

IMO, relaxing my hair never ends with being texture free, when relaxed my texture is still evident. yes for a short period of time it is straight but then my 4a texture will be back curling and waving at people before you know it :grin:. Relaxing is temporary and with so many of us who stretch for long periods of time, dealing with ones actual texture is what we all deal with regularly. So 9 time out of 10, for a brief amount of time all of my hair is straight but most often my natural texture is around a lot more than not. As stated above i look for texture class for advice and product recommendation but i enjoy being able to see all the different textures and styles that different textures are able to achieve. HTH

Tayw29 said:
IMO, relaxing my hair never ends with being texture free, when relaxed my texture is still evident. yes for a short period of time it is straight but then my 4a texture will be back curling and waving at people before you know it :grin:. Relaxing is temporary and with so many of us who stretch for long periods of time, dealing with ones actual texture is what we all deal with regularly. So 9 time out of 10, for a brief amount of time all of my hair is straight but most often my natural texture is around a lot more than not. As stated above i look for texture class for advice and product recommendation but i enjoy being able to see all the different textures and styles that different textures are able to achieve. HTH

I agree with all of the above! I also want to add that I put my texture(s) in my siggy so that when I ask a question, those responding will know what I am working with and maybe directly relate to what's going on (i.e. the waves and woes of being a 4).

So I humbly ask again, if the goal is to achieve straight (texture-free) hair, then... maybe I'm answering my own question....

That's not everyone's goal. My goal is not to be texture free at all. Like a previous poster, my hair always has texture.

I also agree with the other posts here. Many of us stretch, and having 1 inch of 4b new growth is different than having 1 inch of 3b new growth. Also, the relaxing itself is an issue. I've actually learned here that 3c's have a harder time getting their hair straight than 4b's, but 4b's will have a harder time with moisturizing. 4b hair is more fragile, so it helps me to look at Sylver2's album for tips on styling as opposed to a 3c.

lauren450 said:
That's not everyone's goal. My goal is not to be texture free at all. Like a previous poster, my hair always has texture.

I also agree with the other posts here. Many of us stretch, and having 1 inch of 4b new growth is different than having 1 inch of 3b new growth. Also, the relaxing itself is an issue. I've actually learned here that 3c's have a harder time getting their hair straight than 4b's, but 4b's will have a harder time with moisturizing. 4b hair is more fragile, so it helps me to look at Sylver2's album for tips on styling as opposed to a 3c.

I completely agree. Many of us texturize, leaving a certain degree of texture. The result will be different depending upon your original hair texture. And as many other posters said, relaxers take differently depending on the original texture and type of strands you have (fine, medium, or coarse).

There are no two relaxed heads that are really the same just because they are relaxed. Truly, it's hard enough to get the same relaxer to produce the same results on the same head. In fact, I believe many of us avoid trying to achieve true Type one, overprocessed hair that has zero texture.

I suppose if every relaxed head had type 1 hair with no texture, I could see your point. On another note...sometimes it's helpful to know your texture (coily, curly, whatever) as you stretch and get to know what your natural hair is like. It can actually prep you for working with your hair if you decide to transition.

RelaxerRehab said:

Well, I would assume that someone who relaxed their 3a hair wouldn't have to leave the relaxer in as long, so maybe they wouldn't suffer as much damage as a 4a/b? I'm just assuming this...

I think different textures respond to the same relaxer differently. Someone with 2b hair or 4b hair have different reactions to a relaxer. One of my friends (nuelle) on this hair board has 4a hair. She gets a relaxer, I get a relaxer...different look. My hair is straight, but it's coarser. When she air dries and I air dry, it's completely different. We use different products and have a completely different regime because the same two products DO NOT work on our hair.

This is why I try to only take advice when it comes to products and relaxers from people with 4b hair.

by stretching my relaxers I can see, feel and play in my new growth and am able to classify it. Also I wasn't always relaxed... I didn't get my first relaxer until I was about 15 or 16. So I already knew how to classify the texture of my natural hair...(after understanding the different types after reading Andre talks hair) It was always fine and soft before the chemicals were put in... and now when I type my texture I am only referring to the state of my hair before the relaxer (my newgrowth only). I never plan on classifying my relaxed hair because that is a totally different texture now.

Last edited:
Back