Why are people called militant naturals?

brg240

Why are some naturals called militant but relaxed folks of the same mindset not called militant?

I just wonder about the word usage.

EDIT:
I guess i should say i'm not talking about people that are like if you do this and that you aren't natural. What i'm talking about is naturals who are called militant because every black person needs to be natural and you are horrible/self hating b/c you relax. But people that think that all black women need to relax aren't called the same.

I'm confused about that.

Last edited:
I imagine that they are the ones only using berry juice, 100% organic products that they manufacture themselves to ensure quality control, brushes and combs are their banned items lists because they may disrupt the natural hair pattern. You automatically forgo the right to call yourself natural the minute you fall prey to the evil ones the hot comb/flatiron/blow-dryer/ to straight your tresses even if it was a onetime event. :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I am a proud 4B natural but there are times I get this impression that some of us take things too the extreme and then we start the Hair inquisition to hunt down and bend to our will those natural who have gone astray or have the audacity to call themselves natural because they used the occasional heat treat. :lol:

IMHO I really do not see how a relaxed person would be considered militant but then again I am coming at it for the perspective of someone's who is not relaxed maybe I have missed the fierce debates on lye verses non-lye users, the battle of the stretchers versus the non-stretchers, those who telax are not considered to be relaxed. :grin:

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by relaxed folks with the same mindset. Usually when ppl refer to naturals as militant they are referring to those that don't believe people should straighten their hair (ever!), or use any type of chemicals (coloring etc.)and I have even heard of naturals that don't think ppl should "manipulate" their hair (whatever that means). While I believe that this mindset represents a small minority of naturals they do exists.

What makes them so "militant" is that they don't recognize or respect the choice of others to do what they want with their hair. There seems to be an attitude of "I am right and you are wrong". When in reality there is no right or wrong in hair preferences only in hair practices (healthy/unhealthy).

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by relaxed folks with the same mindset. Usually when ppl refer to naturals as militant they are referring to those that don't believe people should straighten their hair (ever!), or use any type of chemicals (coloring etc.)and I have even heard of naturals that don't think ppl should "manipulate" their hair (whatever that means). While I believe that this mindset represents a small minority of naturals they do exists.

What makes them so "militant" is that they don't recognize or respect the choice of others to do what they want with their hair. There seems to be an attitude of "I am right and you are wrong". When in reality there is no right or wrong in hair preferences only in hair practices (healthy/unhealthy).
Uniqzoe
I guess i should say i'm not talking about people that are like if you do this and that you aren't natural. What i'm talking about is naturals who are called militant because every black person needs to be natural and you are horrible/self hating b/c you relax. But people that think that all black women need to relax aren't called the same.

I'm confused about that.

brg240 I see what you are saying. I'm not sure, but I would guess that it is because you normally don't see many relaxed heads pushing those types of ideas on ppl on the hair boards. Although I hear things IRL like, "she doesn't have the texture to go natural" or "she needs to slap a perm on that mess". I think it comes across as more of a bias as opposed to a judgement call (if that makes sense).

The ones I call militant are the people who go around talking about relaxers and hair straightening equal self-hatred. Never mind all a person has accomplished in life...They just want to define a (black) woman based on hair.

I have actually never heard/read someone say that all black women should relax, but I have often heard/read people saying that all women with curly/kinky hair should refrain from straightening it.

I also get annoyed by people talking about chemicals in relaxers, yet they are not living a holistically healthy lifestyle. Relaxers are not the cause of death, disease, etc. in the black community.

Anyway, I'm happy that so many women are going natural and I probably will myself eventually. It's just sad to see people defining who they are based on hair.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

The ones I call militant are the people who go around talking about relaxers and hair straightening equal self-hatred. Never mind all a person has accomplished in life...They just want to define a (black) woman based on hair.

I have actually never heard/read someone say that all black women should relax, but I have often heard/read people saying that all women with curly/kinky hair should refrain from straightening it.

I also get annoyed by people talking about chemicals in relaxers, yet they are not living a holistically healthy lifestyle. Relaxers are not the cause of death, disease, etc. in the black community.

Anyway, I'm happy that so many women are going natural and I probably will myself eventually. It's just sad to see people defining who they are based on hair.

really? I hear it often. Especially offline.

Sometimes I think people are too quick to call a "natural enthusiast" a "natural nazi" or "militant." Usually these people are insecure about their choice to relax and the Natural Hair Movement bothers them for some reason.

Sometimes I think people are too quick to call a "natural enthusiast" a "natural nazi" or "militant." Usually these people are insecure about their choice to relax and the Natural Hair Movement bothers them for some reason.

These types of comments are perplexing to me. Calling any type of modern-day hair care trend a "movement" is an exaggeration, really. There's no higher social purpose for most people. It's hairstyling. It's fashion. I see few to zero people's natural hair that I would envy in real life.

You really believe that accomplished, beautiful women are walking around feeling "insecure" about relaxing, yet most of the "naturals" are walking around rocking lacefronts, staying weaved up, bashing women with relaxers, and forming coalitions just to try to stay motivated to stay natural, yet women with relaxers are insecure...ok, right.

Speaking for myself, I don't need natural hair to boost my self worth. For some people, it's like natural hair is the best thing that EVER happened to them :-/. If there is a "movement" I'd rather not be associated with it and that is part of the reason why I have yet to transition. If I wanted natural hair, it would be for ME, not for a "movement."

Why are some naturals called militant but relaxed folks of the same mindset not called militant?

I just wonder about the word usage.

Because "militant' relaxers are the long time majority so they are the norm, but "militant" naturals are in the minority and are far from the norm.

I'm a natural and there is a difference between an enthusiast and a militant. And its about the attitude in which you do something. Even as a natural I don't want to be around the militants. There is this attitude of you don't do it my way whats wrong with you. They turn up their nose at things. They want to interrogate you on this and that and then start their sermon on whatever.

An enthusiast is excited and militant is judgemental and harsh. Two different types, two different atttiudes.

I think that some people get worked up because they're passionate (maybe too passionate?) about natural hair. I can understand where a "militant" is coming from because there's so much information out there about natural hair and some of it is wrong. So I'm not mad at them for trying to at least help people understand that heat damage can happen, texturizers ARE relaxers, if you color your hair you can still damage your hair, your hair is still fragile...etc. So these militants serve a purpose I guess. At the end of the day do whatever you want to do with your hair, right? If somebody fries it then as long as they leave my hair alone its all good LOL

These types of comments are perplexing to me. Calling any type of modern-day hair care trend a "movement" is an exaggeration, really. There's no higher social purpose for most people. It's hairstyling. It's fashion. I see few to zero people's natural hair that I would envy in real life.

You really believe that accomplished, beautiful women are walking around feeling "insecure" about relaxing, yet most of the "naturals" are walking around rocking lacefronts, staying weaved up, bashing women with relaxers, and forming coalitions just to try to stay motivated to stay natural, yet women with relaxers are insecure...ok, right.

Speaking for myself, I don't need natural hair to boost my self worth. For some people, it's like natural hair is the best thing that EVER happened to them :-/. If there is a "movement" I'd rather not be associated with it and that is part of the reason why I have yet to transition. If I wanted natural hair, it would be for ME, not for a "movement."

Okaay.

She didn't say that all relaxed women are insecure. She wondered why "certain" relaxed women take offense and are bothered by natural hair and those that love it and speak passionately about it.

With regard to the statement about the natural hair "movement". I've heard those words(and similar comments) from relaxed women on this board. I've seen a few people question why so many people are BCing or transitioning. And stating that we're only doing this because of the so called natural hair "movement" or fad.

As for natural hair being the best thing that ever happened to someone. That statement could be associated with all the women on this board who are growing their hair long. What's so wrong with people being proud of or happy about the state of their hair. Especially, if it's the best it's been in all their life.

Last edited:

You can say that about people here who feel their hair 1" past their shoulders is the best thing that ever happened to them - relaxed or natural. I see nothing wrong with that because this is a hair board after all. For some naturals, after being told their hair is ugly and need to be covered up (by relaxers, wigs or weaves), going natural does feel like a weight off their shoulders and if that equals "the best thing that's happened to them" so be it.

I never heard anyone call it a "movement" outside the internet. Usually the people calling it a movement are those are are ironically not natural themselves.

I find it interesting that you refuse to transition because of how others feel about their hair.

I went natural for the overall healthy of my hair, not to join a movement, not to include or exclude myself from any group, and definitely not to have someone else judge me for what I do or don't do to my hair. I think some naturals assume others intentions and try to impose their views on others.

I think it's because women need to find a flaw in other women and label it to feel better about themselves. If a woman feels a certain way about the hair choices of others it's that woman's right. It does not offend me. It does not play a part in my decisions. I'm a little bit too secure to care about whether another person thinks I should do this or that with my hair. IT'S MINE! lol.

I don't feel like I have ever felt pressure from other naturals to do or not to do something. I did feel that pressure when I was relaxed to have long straight silky hair but I didn't label those individuals. I just kept doing ME. People have the right to an opinion. I respect that and I keep it moving.

But I do wish relaxed people will stop oversharing with me why they can't go natural. I didn't ask and I don't care. Just do what makes you happy and don't assume I'm going to try to talk you into it because I'm doing it. I could care less if you do a french roll with scrunches and a fan ponytail wth sparkles and spray color. Do you boo boo. :)

That's so annoying. I know it's off topic but sheesh! lol.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Personally, I think if everyone STFU and STFD and tend to their own hair, we would be some bad, WL b!shes by now :look:

I transitioned due to relaxers+my hair= major damage. I have yet to meet one of these militant naturals in real life or on the net. Probably because I went natural for myself and not a movement,therefore I was never exsposed to them.

Personally, I think if everyone STFU and STFD and tend to their own hair, we would be some bad, WL b!shes by now :look:

I agree. Too much people being judgemental for no reason. Do what makes you feel happy but don't go around like a Jehovah witness trying to tell folks why they need to do this and this is the only way.

I transitioned due to relaxers+my hair= major damage. I have yet to meet one of these militant naturals in real life or on the net. Probably because I went natural for myself and not a movement,therefore I was never exsposed to them.
I have (women and men) and they annoy me just as much as the perm pushers :look:

On topic: I think the term is much easier to apply to naturals because I see way more examples of militancy from the natural side. i'm just saying. i've never been stopped and pressured to get a relaxer, whereas i've been swanging my relaxer straight flat-ironed hair around and was downright stoned by a natural associate of mine who thought i had "gone to the dark side." lol that **** was funny.

slightly off topic: until somebody performs a follicular transplant on me and my ish is growing out of their heads, the hell i care what they think/say/do about my hair choices? i've been chewed out by some naturals i know because i can't stand shea butter/aloe vera gel and most other "natural staples." yea, whatever bite me. i'll stick with herbal essences and cheap drugstore ish, thanks. end rant.

I understand what the op is saying. I'll be natural for 3 yrs this coming march and I'll never forget when I first started transitioning, I would get relaxed ladies who felt the need to tell me that my roots needed to get done. :( or the countless relaxed women who couldn't believe i chopped my hair off and told me I should relax again. None of those women are labeled "militant". It's just a double standard. I myself do not care what anyone does to their hair as long as it's groomed cleaned and well maintained. But I give the side eye to BOTH natural and relaxed women who go above and beyond with their "opinions".

You can say that about people here who feel their hair 1" past their shoulders is the best thing that ever happened to them - relaxed or natural. I see nothing wrong with that because this is a hair board after all. For some naturals, after being told their hair is ugly and need to be covered up (by relaxers, wigs or weaves), going natural does feel like a weight off their shoulders and if that equals "the best thing that's happened to them" so be it.

I never heard anyone call it a "movement" outside the internet. Usually the people calling it a movement are those are are ironically not natural themselves.

I find it interesting that you refuse to transition because of how others feel about their hair.

A bunch of naturals still cover their hair up. That is evidenced right here on this board. That's their choice, more power to them.

I was at a house party last weekend and a girl called natural hair a movement and gave a whole angry black woman speech, killed the whole mood of the gathering and everyone was glad when she left. There were other women who were natural there and they just looked at her like she was crazy. Eta: I had noticed her hair earlier in the evening and thought it looked nice. I am probably as hair obsessed as she is, but offline it can come across as too much. I'm not going to start preaching to anybody, relaxed or natural.

I guess that "I find it interesting..." comment was supposed to be a jab at me? My statement was a complete explanation, in which I stated that it was amongst the reasons...I have a full and happy life. Hair is only one small part of it.

Now that I know the how a militant natural is defined, I doubt they ever say anything to anyone about hair. If they did, they would pretty much be trying to 'convert' people all day.

If you like your hair, I love it. Instead of being a militant natural, let's just be militant about the hair on our heads and think it is the business.

Back