Who Inspired You To Go Natural?

lamaria211

I inspired myself because I had put a half dollar size bald spot in my head by pulling and playing in my hair (i have trichotillomania) and I started wearing wigs to help so I decided to bc and stop perming. Sooooo glad I did that was in 2010

30something

I hated going to the stylist, I hated my scalp always burning after 5 minutes, then every stylist kept it on for 10 minutes past recommended time. The most of all I hated stretching my relaxer I started to realize the only time I could even enjoy relaxed hair was the first month then you have to endure stretching for 2 more months. Around the time I was realizing this I found Longhairdontcare2011 on youtube and I was inspired to go natural.

SmilingElephant

My sister:infatuated:...and my fed-upness with chemical burns and hair getting thinned out:look:

You know what else? Even though i was relaxed...my edges NEVER laid down!:lol:...so now my edges blend in waaaay better with the rest of my hair!:rofl:

MzSwift

BHM member Yassy. She posted a photo of her WL kinky hair and I fell in love. Then she posted a picture of her as a child to let everyone know that she had not always had long hair. That's when I was sold

http://public.fotki.com/yassylane/

I had tried to go natural at least 8 times since 1999 but I could never stick with it. I found the BHM Natural Section and then I started lurking here. You ladies have helped to keep me motivated to stay natural AND to grow my hair long (which I've never done before). Thanks!

The women of my family and seeing other sisters on the Internet with healthy, natural hair. I felt I could do the same after I realized I wasn't alone or helpless.

destine2grow

lamaria211 said:
I inspired myself because I had put a half dollar size bald spot in my head by pulling and playing in my hair (i have trichotillomania) and I started wearing wigs to help so I decided to bc and stop perming. Sooooo glad I did that was in 2010
lamaria211
How did you get over trichotillomania?

lux10023

i went natural yrs ago due to a freak accident so i knew what i was getting into when i BC'd two months ago and just wanted to go chemical free at this point in my life...plus ive always loved big thick hair curly...my textlaxed hair was mbl and thriving but--i know my natural hair will be even better--and healthier..so let the journey begin :)

newbeginnings2010

My family, some friends, and the lovely ladies of LHCF. I used to think my 4b hair would be unmanageable no matter what if I were natural. During my first transition attempt, I had a lot of trouble finding hair styles that I liked and I just couldn't see transitioning without knowing how to style my hair.

Now that I have so many natural family members and so many natural LHCF members, I get to see a wide variety of styles, many of which I really like and now I'm sure I can be natural and style my hair. It just takes time and patience to learn a new look!

sweetdreams23

...Hmm I don't know how to answer this. In order to answer that, I have to explain why my hair was relaxed to begin with...so here goes:

I was natural right up to when I turned 21. Length was never really an issue, and my hair was fairly healthy. Then I met this guy (I know. Embarrassing)

In little ways, he would suggest that perhaps, I should get a relaxer...as I normally wore my hair pressed anyways. Top that with my hairdresser also adding pressure suggesting that I relaxed stating that it would be easier for me to manage, the curls would still be there just not as tight.

Took both their words, and said, "hey why not? If it'll make him like me a bit more, and make it easier for me to do my hair, let's do it..."

...So then I relaxed it....and immediately regretted it. Yes, my hair was straight, but, the VOLUME was gone. and I found myself missing my curls.

In short. I didn't feel like myself....like I someone else..not me.

But as most of you guys also know, the commitment to transition, can be difficult and it took until the end of last July for me to finally just say "I"m off this relaxer train"...and thus far, I've stuck with it...I aint going back. Thanks to this board and youtube. LOL

as for that guy? Yeah we broke up a year or so after I relaxed my hair...he ended up marrying the next girl.

So this whole going natural is also like me going back to...me. Or an improved version of myself.

janeemat

My family, some friends, and the lovely ladies of LHCF. I used to think my 4b hair would be unmanageable no matter what if I were natural. During my first transition attempt, I had a lot of trouble finding hair styles that I liked and I just couldn't see transitioning without knowing how to style my hair.

Now that I have so many natural family members and so many natural LHCF members, I get to see a wide variety of styles, many of which I really like and now I'm sure I can be natural and style my hair. It just takes time and patience to learn a new look!

Your baby is sooo cute. How many months post are? Have you been relaxer free during your pregnancy? Good Luck!

Julessy

This may sound funny but my son has actually inspired me to go natural and he didn't even know it at the time! I was 3 months pregnant at the time and made a vow not to relax my hair for the rest of the pregnancy. I wore senagalese twists for the entire summer to help me transition. One day I looked at the new growth and realized that I liked my natural texture more than my hair being relaxed. With that, I figured that getting relaxers could be one main reason why I wasn't getting the growth I wanted so I decided to go natural at that point. I feel like it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Congratulations on your new HHJ. I wish you the best!

Daeuiel

Cosplay Champ
Honestly, I was inspired to go natural by some of my favorite comic book characters. I wanted to portray them to the best of my ability, and afro wigs just look awful :nono: :lol:

Misty Knight

Me as Misty Knight

Still trying to get my fro as big as hers :lol:

Captain Marvel

Me as Captain Marvel

alove15

When I was 16 my crush's sister had the biggest fro I had ever seen in person. Her hair looked so healthy and versatile to me. I pretty much lived in braids so I wanted to know how to get a fro like hers. After a bunch of google searches I found the natural hair community and started working on the health of my hair. It's been almost 3 years and I'm still learning :)

FoxxyLocs

I inspired myself. I always hated relaxers and one day I just decided I wasn't doing it anymore and that was that. Last relaxer was in '04.

Last edited: