who has experience with dark brown colors?

Teja

I want to put a semi-permanent color (dark brown) my hair is darker than the color so Im not sure how that's gonna play out or if the color is even going to be noticeable..Anyone have experience with chocolate brown tones on black hair ?

Flawlis1

I use dark brown rinses in my hair, I actually just did one on Monday right after I relaxed. It's not as harsh as black, but my haircolor is like a soft black. It just makes it look dark.... but it doesn't have a brown tone, which I didn't want anyway. If you are trying to lighten it to look brownish, a dark brown rinse may not work too well.

NIN4eva

I agree with Flawlis1 I don't think a dark brown rinse will do it for you. And if you try a light brown rinse there's no telling what you'll end up with, unless you have some kind of dimension now and have a pretty good idea where those lighter tones will break through, again, if at all.

I suggest you try a shine gloss, that tends to left the hair tones a little bit and add shine without completely changing your haircolor, that in turn just might give you a nice base for your dark brown rinse a few months down the road.