Who goes to a predominately white church?

lady_godiva

I am considering changing my membership. I have visited some churches, but have not one found one that I like. There are two churches in the metro Atlanta area that I have seen on television. I am planning on visiting them one day. However, these churches have a mostly white congregation.

If you go to a church where most of the membership is white, please tell me why you decided to go there? Do you like it? How is it different from churches that have a majority black congregation?

Farida

I have gone to two.

Most of it had to do with the fact that I lived in an area that was less than 4% black. It was a great church and the pastor was just amazing. I was never bored in church.
The style of worship was different. They favor a more contemporary style rather than gospel style music worship. They are very reserved too.

The 2nd I started going because we moved and didn't know any churches and we know some friends from our undergrad who go there. So we go together and do a double date afterwards.

delp

I use to go to a predominately white church. The type of worship was what I was use to b/c even when I was at a black church it was non denominational. It really depends on the denomination. If it is roughly the same then you will not see a real difference. I was invited to the church by a white male friend. I love the church. I loved the pastor. I loved the people. They welcomed me but was not overly noticing me b/c I was black. It was Ok. I think it depends on the church and the town.....mine was an urban white church meaning in the middle of downtown and they had a heart for missionary work.

leeshbeesh

I happen to go to one now. I came from predominantly black churches. My reasoning was that the other black churches I visited focused simply prosperity and 3 hour long praise & worship shouting sessions...but like 15 minutes of preaching, if you want to call it that. The difference was the teaching of SALVATION which really disturbed me. I could go on and on but really, the issue was teaching errors and heresy.

1god1

I attend an all-white church...cuz i live in N. Dakota and it's the only Apostolic church in that particular town. I miss Gospel music and they do sing differently...no loud testimonies (I miss those)...

temfash

I happen to go to one now. I came from predominantly black churches. My reasoning was that the other black churches I visited focused simply prosperity and 3 hour long praise & worship shouting sessions...but like 15 minutes of preaching, if you want to call it that. The difference was the teaching of SALVATION which really disturbed me. I could go on and on but really, the issue was teaching errors and heresy.

You quoted exactly what I may have said. I attend a well known predominantly white Baptist church and My family and I have been greatly blessed, love the pastor the people make an effort to be friendly and zero drama.

leeshbeesh

^^^ Yes I could not believe how much I experienced the love of Christ versus whispers, stares, and gossip at this new church!

lady_godiva

You quoted exactly what I may have said. I attend a well known predominantly white Baptist church and My family and I have been greatly blessed, love the pastor the people make an effort to be friendly and zero drama.

I think these are the reasons why I want to try something new.

twilight80

I have and liked it. I thought that I would be uncomfortable but I wasn't. The church had what I was looking for. They even had a children's church for the kids. (For some reason I can not find a church here that does that.) The only thing that was different to me was the music (not bad but different) The pastor was great and so was the atmosphere. I would suggest a white baptist church.

Moisture2608

Yup. And, plus, most of the black churches that I went to when I was younger were full of chatty people (namely too much gossip). Of course, I didn't really catch on until I was an adult, and then I was like :nono: I'm getting out of here.