Which bunning method has helped you with the most length?

MissFallon

I did the bun under the phony pony for 8 months and was able to retain 1" of growth per month following my regimen. Since I am transitioning I used one particular phony pony that matched my hair texture and I can't seem to find it anywhere now. I was thinking about the sock bun (I finally mastered it) but I am worried about breakage and after this major cut I had today don't want any more setbacks. Did anyone just wear their hair twisted in a bun? My hair is thin so it looks so puny and small. I don't want to mess up my ends but I think I may go with the sock bun until April and then switch it back to the phony pony or maybe go into another protective style.

Which bunning method has helped u retain and get the most length?

angelita842002

I usually just twist my own hair in to a bun leave it like that or add a phony scrunchi bun , or do a ponytail with the ends tucked under. Thats my everyday style. Ponytail with the ends tucked under makes it look bigger. imo

pistachio

Well, I've just started bunning today, but I can tell you that I like doing the double bun method(the Chinese way- with one bun on each side of my head and I like it!!) I was relectant to do that at first because I always assumed that bunning was boring, but I've found that it can be cute as well as protective at the same time!!!

Isis

I've only done the low, braided bun in the back or low on the side. It continues to work for me to retain length and as a style I really love.:)

KiniKakes

With dry hair, i usually just twist into a bun and secure with bobbi or hair pins. With wet hair, i form a single braid, then twist into a bun and secure w/pins. Ive never used the phony pony. Im lazy and it just seemed like too much work. :lol:

MissFallon

With this new length I believe the sock bun is what I will do for a while. I hope to be getting braids (for the first time) on Dec 1st so I will keep them in until New Years the latest.

rdm

I just twist and coil into a donut shape and secure with a bobby pin. I dont pull my hair back too tight though.

motherx2esq

Does anyone give details on how to do a sock bun that will share. I know there are ladies who have them in their fotki but the are pw protected and when I asked for the pw, I never got it. Thanks for sharing!

My bun is ususally just my hair wrapped around itself with bobby pins.

levette

I do the fake phony bun. It does wonders and your ponytail is hidden and tucked underneath. I love my phony bun.

camellia

I have three basic buns that I wear.

The first is a braided bun. I braid my hair straight down my back, add extra moisturizer to the ends and then coil the braid around itself until it's all up. I secure it with hair pins.

The second is a basic twisted bun. I gather all of my hair back and twist it around and around until I have one long twist made out of all of my hair, I coil the twist around itself and secure with hair pins.

The third is the ponytail bun, (my lazy bun). I just make my hair into a ponytail and then sort of fold it in half and secure it all with a silk scrunchie.

These buns can be made at any point on the head, very high for a ballet bun look, to very low at the nape for a more sophisticate chignon. I wear a bun almost every day and I have no breakage at all and I retain length very well.

MissFallon

levette said:
I do the fake phony bun. It does wonders and your ponytail is hidden and tucked underneath. I love my phony bun.

i did this with a straight ponytail wrapped in a bun when I wore my hair straight. When I started wearing it wavy/curly I would use a spanish wavy type of phony pony and wrapped that in a bun which I liked a lot better than the straight hair. If I can find that ponytail again I may go back to this after I come from the braids. I'm gonna do 1 month braids, 2 weeks bun, then another month braids....

Treasure2k6

The sock bun, with a loose scrungie to secure my ends instead of bobby pins has allowed me to retain the moste length.

This is the only one I have tried, and it worked for me off the bat! I have been doing it now for about 2 months and have retained my length.

BronzyBella

I sometimes make a sock bun when I'm going out, but I feel more comfortable braiding my hair in a single ponytail and tucking the ends under.

Angelicus

I make a ponytail and make a two-strand twist with it. Then I coil it around and secure it with a scrunci.

AngiGirl

I am hooked on protective styles especially bunning. Friction was killing my ends. I have went from about 2 inches to 8 inches in 18 month span (after cutting off several inches along the way). Probably 80 percent of the time my hair is bunned, french rolled, clamped up or pinned up. Tucked under buns or a ballerina bun are my favorite. My skin breaks out super easily from any products I may use on my hair. So putting my hair up is best for me, plus I am lazy when it comes to my hair and I always prefer low maintenance styles. I think buns are elegant and easy. I have learn some things about my hair is:

#1 Don’t pull my hair tight or my edges will break off.
#2 Use satin/silky hair ties to avoid friction on the hair.
#3 Soak the cloth covered elastic bands in oil to avoid friction.
#4 When wet bunning my hair I use LIV to coat the ends.

MissFallon

When I do a sock bun I dont use any pins. I just put it in the bun put a ouchless hair tie on and then wrap the extra hair around the bun. My ends didnt seem to have a problem with it but they were damaged anyway I'm so scared to mess up my new healthy ends and have to start all over...for the third time.

Nanyanika

I moisturised my hair first, roll it with my fingers into a bun, cover with a baggie secure with hair band and cover baggie with a sock.