Where are my edges going and can i get them back

toya81

Hi I just subcribe !! Anyway i would like to know how to keep my edges from leaving me !! do anyone have any ideas on what a girl could do and what they use in there hair for thinning edges.

HoneyDew

How do you wear your hair now? In braids or weaves or anything like that? Do you wear tight and/or too low ponytails? Do you use the brush on your edges or wear scarfs on too tight?

cocoberry10

toya81 said:
Hi I just subcribe !! Anyway i would like to know how to keep my edges from leaving me !! do anyone have any ideas on what a girl could do and what they use in there hair for thinning edges.

I was just asking the same question. Some of my edges are looking a little thin. I was considering doing a major trim (a set back, since my hair is around shoulder/arm-pit length). However, it's getting harder to style my hair, so I probably will do that. You may want to try a dusting and see how that turns out. If necessary, you can always trim it a little more later.

HoneyDew

Trimming my ends did not help my edges. I had problems with edges after years of braids and weaves. Toya81 are you talking about your ends or your edges?

Only TLC has helped my edges grow in thick and they grew back pretty fast, too.

I stopped wearing the scarf too tight at night. My kitchen edges thinned out, too, from the scarf being tied back there. I stopped that and never tie anything touching my hair. Those long stetchy wrap scarfs are good because you can wrap them all around once and then tie it after all hair is covered up.

I just kept my edges moisturized and I never use heat on my edges. I never use the brush on them either. After that, you would never be able to guess my edges used to be thin. I also stopped braids and weaves back in NOV and that made a big difference for me.

But if you are talking about ends, I agree with cocoberry, trimming can kill that, but I HATE trimming too much. Dusting, as she suggests, is good, as well.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
...once I stopped relaxing my hair, my thinning edges filled in significantly...

...but if you have relaxed hair and want to keep relaxing your hair, I would suggest waiting anywhere from 3-6 months or longer to get relaxer touch-ups.

HTH!

SherryLove

Poohbear said:
...once I stopped relaxing my hair, my thinning edges filled in significantly...

...but if you have relaxed hair and want to keep relaxing your hair, I would suggest waiting anywhere from 3-6 months or longer to get relaxer touch-ups.

HTH!

hey, poohbear... nice advice..

you may also want try applying some castor oil and vitamin e to your thinning areas on a daily basis.... i know some folks who say this really worked for them....another suggestion is Surge... A lot of the ladies here really like it for increased hair growth and thickness...

toya81

I do not wear weaves or braids its just thining and sometimes that area be sore when i touch it or have it wraped

gradygirl

Wearing micro braids for an extended period of time thinned my edges out. I went to the beauty store yesterday and purchased Profectiv anti-thinning circulation stimulant. I've heard some good things about on this board so I decided to give it a try.

toya81

thanks everyone im going to try the castor oil i wish i post a pic but the pic come out to big so upload and i dont know how to make them smaller

juicy555

I have thin edges from years off braiding and my stylist recommended ORS Temple Balm. I've been using that in conjunction with MTG for the past two weeks and even thogught the thinning was extreme Im startiung to see a difference. :)

HoneyDew

toya81 said:
i am not quite familiar with the surge how does it work is it good for growing hair.

Check out the Surge Banner in the upper right corner. Their site can give you more info.

dlewis

My daughter had very very thin edges when she was 1-3 years old. I massage her hair a couple of times a week with gylcerin and other oils, was very gentle with her hair and let the tight braids GO. Now her hair is very beautiful, long thick and NO thin edges (shes 5 now).

blueabyss333

I use Doo Gro Medicated, Surge, any moisturizer, stretch relaxers, wear loose scarves and I DO trim my short edges and nape...trust me it works!

ETA: Massaging also

shellzfoshizzle

A lot of the information that the ladies have already mentioned are great. The first step to getting your edges back to health is to find out the cause of the breakage/thinning that you are having. Is your relaxed hair overprocessed, underprocessed, getting enough moisture, too tight scarf, braids, split ends? My edges (and nape) have been looking rough since last year. My problem was relaxers (but not to say that is your problem). My hair was wayyy overprocessed and I noticed it was thinning and then it all broke off. I am now transitioning for my own personal reasons as well I want healthy, thick chemical-free hair. I can say, that I try to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Some people use grease, oils, Surge, MTG are some ideas but you have got to use whatever works for YOUR hair. However, none of those "growth" potions worked for me. What has helped my hair is cutting all the damaged, split, thin ends off ugly, I notice that my hair is slowly growing by doing this (as bad as I didn't want to!). Cutting it may seem like a setback but I believe it will truely help in styling and speed up growth. Also, I make sure that I give EXTRA attention to that area when I put on moisturizing product and give that area TLC when styling that side.

HTH

~*~ShopAholic~*~

The part that's bolded may be the culprit. How often do you wrap your hair? I ask this because for some wrapping causes the edges and/or hair to thin. I do agree that stretching relaxers will help along w/daily scalp massages w/the castor oil or vitamin e. If stretching for 3 or mor months may be to difficult for you at this time, maybe even just relaxing your edges every other touch-up will help.
toya81 said:
I do not wear weaves or braids its just thining and sometimes that area be sore when i touch it or have it wraped

chellee

When you say wrapped, are you referring to wrapping a scarf around your head as a protective style or wrapping your hair as in a rollerwrap. I'm just trying to understand.