When you run into an old friend with a bad lacefront wig on, do you say anything?

naturalmanenyc

I was shopping today and noticed a group of women talking on the street who had apparently not seen each other in a while. Based on the conversation, they are close but do not see each other often. The tallest of the women had on a horrid lace front wig, square hairline and bad application. I was about 10 yards away and could her their conversation.

Her friends did not say anything about the wig. Two others had on wigs and a third had in what appeared to be a sew in weave (or maybe just glued in pieces).

I saw the tallest woman later in a restaurant ordering food to go, without the "friends" and I got a closer look. Given the close proximity of the "friends" when they were talking, they had to notice.

So, if you ran into a close friend that you had not seen in a while, would you say anything about the wig? Suggest she adjust it? Tell her something seemed off about her hair?

kittikat24

Nope. :look:
I'd compliment her on her outfit/accessories etc.
If she wants hair advice, SHE can ask. Till then, my lips are sealed! :yep:

BlackMasterPiece

Hair is so personal and touchy to sista's that I tend to just let the person look a mess till they ask for my opinion:look:

I have a facebook acquaintance who swears she's a diva that is brown skin (gorgeous rich skin tone) but wears cheap beyonce colored blonde lacefront wigs (picture that for a moment) and has the nerve to get it synthetic with 1/4 inch of parting and lions mane thick.

What can I say?

Like, how would that conversation go? I feel like it can only end in disaster. Then next thing you know I'm somehow a "hater"
, what I'm hating on we don't know but hey....

I tend to just pay attention to me and mine and help out the natural sista's that ask for my help, thats it.

I live by the wise addage: "Don't start none, won't be none."

I may make a general polite note on fb one day though because these two FB friends really assault my eyes on the regular:ohwell:

Chrissy811

Nope, I know someone who alternates between bad lace fronts and weaves. I don't say anything, I figure if she's not listening to her husband who hates them then nothing I can say will stick.

song_of_serenity

It's so sad situations like this. Like the booger in the nose, the salad in the teeth, people see it and pretend they don't see it.

However, unlike those situations, hey, she may think her hair is absolutely GORGEOUS. lol. I'm inclined to say I would say something or open conversation to segue into mentioning "btw..." I guess it really depends. Considering someone I've not seen in a while or...perhaps only see every so often in passing, it may best be left to someone who interacts with them on a regular basis. Lol. I would feel bad making one of our rare meetings about how horrid her hair looks .:/ I would probably make a suggestion though without directly insulting her hair.

lilyofthenile

Not saying anything until she actually asks about it. Chances are she probably knows about it and just doesn't care or she just doesn't know about it.

I don't want to knock anyone's confidence.

carameldimples

I have different sets of friends...I totally have girlfriends who would tell me if my hair looked a mess point blank period, no question and will I get offended, no, LOL...My great friends who live out of state and who I rarely get to see went in on me and my transitioning hair the last time I saw them, I am not great at flat ironing so it was a little puffy, and one of my friends begged me to let her flat iron it and I "politely" declined, LOL, another one of my girlfriends had a weave that was styled nice but the hair was cheap and we all let her know that she should buy more quality hair, I just recently put her on to all the brands that I hear about on the boards she doesn't get offended she was hitting up the web sites talking about ordering some...I heart my friends for that, we joke around and keep it real and its no hard feelings, I do have more sensitive friends that I think I would say it to but I'd have to tread very gently, LOL, but not like an old H.S. friend who I was tight with back then but haven't seen in a while, that could go terribly wrong, LOL..

faithVA

People are old friends for a reason. If they haven't seen each other in a while they are not keeping in contact. If I met an old friend, I wouldn't think it appropriate to just give them advice on our initial meeting. And I know I don't care for people who aren't close to me to just start telling me things, especially without asking.

Trying to share advice with my everyday friends is problematic so telling someone i haven't seen in years does not sound like it will go well.

Different people really are ok with looks that we may not be ok with. It happens quite often.

Forever in Bloom

It's so sad situations like this. Like the booger in the nose, the salad in the teeth, people see it and pretend they don't see it. However, unlike those situations, hey, she may think her hair is absolutely GORGEOUS. lol. I'm inclined to say I would say something or open conversation to segue into mentioning "btw..." I guess it really depends. Considering someone I've not seen in a while or...perhaps only see every so often in passing, it may best be left to someone who interacts with them on a regular basis. Lol. I would feel bad making one of our rare meetings about how horrid her hair looks .:/ I would probably make a suggestion though without directly insulting her hair.

A fly unzipped, an obvious panty line. It's complicated.

I've been with my group of friends for 18 years, and we've always been honest with each other. So, I'd probably say something, I probably wouldn't. It all depends on the situation. In the past, when we did point out a flaw, the other would just throw back a sarcastic remark, we'd laugh about it, and make plans to meet for lunch the next week.

I would, however, want the members here to tell me if something was off about a pic I posted. It's all merely cosmetic and doesn't hurt my feelings one bit. I met a girl the other day who handed me a business card offering eyebrow grooming services. Was I offended? Nope. I thanked her and told her I would call her. I'm actually growing them out to get them properly arched anyway.

But everyone's not like me and didn't grow up with 3 brothers and an older sister who dished out insults to each other in playful/non-playful ways on the regular. I just have a thick skin.

Bnster

I guess the real question is would you want to know if something is not fly with you? Would you? In the scenario above the answer would be yes, I would state something to the person hopefully not offending. You can't worry too much how other will think of you and you may not see that person again anyhow.

One person above stated about if the person fly is open, of course I will point it out to them or the panty line (however the panty line thing I admit I will not point out to a stranger).

Do onto others as you want others do onto you .

If someone pointed something off on me, yes I would or may be embarrassed, offended no, I would shrug it off as oh. If someone gave me advice on the matter on hand I would later check it out as long as they had good intentions.

MissSenegal

One of my fb friends from high school has the worlds worst lacefront on in all her pics and horrible fake lashes. If she was my sister or my bff I would say something otherwise my lips are sealed.

naijamerican

All I'm saying is that friends don't let friend wear bad lacefront wigs. Since I don't use the word "friend" lightly, if you're an old friend of mine, chances are that we're still good friends. And if we're friends, then I'm going to tell you the truth. No lacefront shawties up in here. :yep:

naturalmanenyc

I would want to be told. I'm surprised at how many people would say nothing.

I am one to let my friends know when something is off...at least tell them they need to adjust their wig, blow their nose, get food out of their teeth.

JJamiah

I am with the other poster Old Friend NOpe, Close Friend YES, and I had that situation happen.
I sat there and used the best approach I knew how at the moment to let her know. I just couldn't look at her and know she was around others, I just feel they'd be talking about her, and wonder why I didn't let her know about it.

I did and she told her husband, He said that is a True Friend :) :bighug:
We are now better friends :)

Ganjababy

I saw this friend I had not seen in age at my workplace and she had the ugliest hairstyle I had ever seen In my life. I literally had nightmares about it. While she was speaking to me I was mesmerised and grossed out by it and could not concentrate on what she was saying.

Imagine marge Simpsons hair made out of a plastic wig with a vat of brown gel poured over it to keep big pineapple waves in place. Everybody was staring at her head. For weeks I had that image in my head.

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
I saw this friend I had not seen in age my workplace and she had the ugliest hairstyle I had ever seen I'm my life. I literally had nightmares about it. While she was speaking to me I was mesmerised and grossed out by it and could not concentrate on what she was saying.

Imagine marge Simpsons hair made out of a plastic wig with a vat of brown gel poured over it to keep big pineapple waves in place. Everybody was staring at her head. For weeks I had that image in my head.

:lachen::lachen:

Don't you hate it when that happens. Like your eyes keep wandering to the jacked up hair and they looking at you in the face. I always wonder do they notice when your eyes wander upward...

Spongie Bloom

I would let a sista know, I was in a shop the other day and sista behind the til had a bad lacefron the glue was shiny the hairline was perfectly round and the hair colour! I really wanted to say something til I got a little attitude in her while she was givin me her customer service so i didnt bother but I would say something, I would want to get told. Dont let fellow women walk around thinkin they are fly whilst they look a hot mess ladies!

chebaby

if i dont tell my cousin she looks a hot ghetto mess with her bad lace front and long *** butterfly eye lashes i know im not gonna say anything to an "old" friend.