When to apply heat protectant?

Glib Gurl

Normally I airdry . . . so after conditioning, I will add a leave-in and then moisturize (usually with BB Growth Lotion or ORS Olive Oil) and then seal (with BB Growth Oil or Hollywood Olive Oil).

If I am going to blowdry or sit under a dryer, at what point do I apply the heat protectant? Also, do I apply the moisturizer and sealants before or after drying?

Help,

Glib

Luvmylife

I would apply heat protectant after conditioner...blowdry/flatiron or whatever...then add moisturizers, oils, ect. The other way around and you're 'cooking' all of that product onto your hair, IMHO.

northernbelle

I say apply the heat protectant *before* using a heat applicance. It is my understanding that the purpose of a heat protectant is to protect the hair from the harshness of the heat. I shampoo, deep condition, apply leave in, allow to air dry completely, apply heat protectant, blow dry, allow hair to cool, and then finally, apply hair oil.

Of course, it depends on how one defines heat protectant. I don't consider oils to be heat protectants, and therefore I don't apply oils to my hair before using the blow dryer. I use an actual heat protectant, and then once my hair has cooled, I apply the oil.

Last edited:

AwesomelyNappy

I would apply heat protectant after conditioner...blowdry/flatiron or whatever...then add moisturizers, oils, ect. The other way around and you're 'cooking' all of that product onto your hair, IMHO.

that is the routine that I follow. I've always hated the thought of "cooking" products in my hair. Seems very damaging to me.

♦K.O♦

This is what I do:

Wash
Condition
Leave-in
Heat Protectant
*HEAT*
Any types of oils or additional moisturizers that I want to use.

gimbap

For those who do heat pro first, moisturizer second, Would the cone-based heat protectants keep your hair from absorbing moisturizer?

Soliel185

I never use heat on wet or damp hair. But I'd say if you were going to sit under a dryer or blowdry to towel or squeeze dry hair, apply leave in - seal - and then use heat protectant and sit under the dryer. If it's a hand dryer, wait until hair is 80% dry to start using appliance, this lessens thae amount of heat your hair will have to take. If I'm going to use direct heat - i.e flat iron io curling iron, I apply all my leave ins, seal, and wait until my hair is completely dry. Then I apply the heat protectany section by section as I flat iron or curl my hair. If you use a light one, it should dry before the heat appliance touches your hair - you don't want it to sizzle or cook. You might want to be alittle lighter than normal on your leave ins and sealant for this reason too - you can always add more as needed after hair is styled