Votes: 2 8.3%
  • March 8

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Whenever you get tired of dealing with it..Or see breakage

Votes: 15 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smwrigh3

I initial stretch was for 3 months and right now I am 13 weeks and 5 days so I made it! YAY! but now I don't know if I should relax. I am not having any breakage thanks to good products and a patience so there is no reason to.

Whether or not I get a relaxer I am getting a sew in the 1st week of Jan. So I wont take it out until the day after Valentines day.. then I will let my rest in buns for 2 weeks THEN I am getting either cornrows or another sew-in b/c I will be on spring break in the Bahamas (yay!!)

BUT if I wait until after spring break my stretch would b.. 25 weeks!!!! Which I think is extreme for a first time stretcher... but i just don't see the pt of getting a relaxer if I am going to b wearing braids.. so when is a good time to relax?

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I am asking cause sometime ppl that relax every 6-8 wks cany jump into a 25 week stretch, they have to work their week into it. Like by adding extra weeks each time....
Me personally would just relax when I cant take it and its starts to break. I use to go every 26wk=6 months, but my hair would break that the demarcation spot so I relax every 4 months mow.

smwrigh3

I am asking cause sometime ppl that relax every 6-8 wks cany jump into a 25 week stretch, they have to work their week into it. Like by adding extra weeks each time....
Me personally would just relax when I cant take it and its starts to break. I use to go every 26wk=6 months, but my hair would break that the demarcation spot so I relax every 4 months mow.

Oh I understand!! Usually got my relaxers every 6-8weeks But this summer I waited 10 (cuz I wanted a fresh perm for school) my last relaxer was sept. I do NOT want my hair to break.. I will relax b4 I will have that happen! I want to keep my hair! :lachen::lachen: that's y I am asking.. Do u think I should go ahead and relax and rock my hair under a sew in and my braids then relax again in March after spring break?

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Ummm its hard to say, see I know my hair limits. And you are still learning it. I say get the sew in, once you take it down and its giving you a hard time them judge there. But if your not having a problem now dont worry cause ur going to be hididng it and not bothering it anyways.
Lets see what other ladies will say.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Whether or not I get a relaxer I am getting a sew in the 1st week of Jan. So I wont take it out until the day after Valentines day.. then I will let my rest in buns for 2 weeks THEN I am getting either cornrows or another sew-in b/c I will be on spring break in the Bahamas (yay!!)

I'm going to say Dec 24. The reason is because when you take down the sew in, there will be shed hair mixed in with 6 more weeks worth of new growth. That could lead to matting and breakage.

Good luck whatever you do!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I voted for March. There's no point in relaxing if your hair's gonna stay in braids. Relaxing weakens your hair, braids can too. Putting in braids after freshly relaxing is just asking for trouble.

Your stretch has been smooth sailin so far, I say go for the gold! You're gonna be so amazed by your progress :grin:

Just make sure you thoroughly detangle after taking out each set of braids and keep that hair MOISTURIZED! Good luck, girl!!! You can do it!!!

TrustMeLove

I agree with JCoily. I would relax Dec 24. Because getting it braided for the weave and than the shedded hair after the weave could be a nightmare. Especially if you are getting very small cornrolls for your weave.

If you do decide to weave it up before a relaxer I suggest blowing out your hair. I would hate to have someone going through 3 months of new growth. Plus this might make taking down the weave easier.

cuteazz1

PLEASE don't braid your hair so soon after a relaxer...THat is exactly how most of my hair fell out before I found a few haircare sites.

I would wait the minimum of 3 weeks before I put any tension on freshly relaxed hair but in my case and from what I have learned I think that 5 weeks is a pretty good time.

I would leave my hair alone and make sure not to keep the weave in too long until you learn how your hair works while stretching.

SouthernTease

Ummm... never... :look:

transition :yay:

If you're going to wear braids and sew ins all the time... why get a relaxer?

Let me guess... you're afraid you're hair is going to fall out if you stop

getting relaxers??? Yeah... I know. That's what we all think/thought.

If you're into straight hair... keep growing your hair out and then just

relax it when you reach your goal length... I mean if you're going to keep

getting braids and stuff.

Last edited:

smwrigh3

Ummm... never... :look:

transition :yay:

If you're going to wear braids and sew ins all the time... why get a relaxer?

Let me guess... you're afraid you're hair is going to fall out if you stop

getting relaxers??? Yeah... I know. That's what we all think/thought.

If you're into straight hair... keep growing your hair out and then just

relax it when you reach your goal length... I mean if you're going to keep

getting braids and stuff.

I am thinking about transitioning when I move to Africa (in about 3 yrs).. I just don't know what it would like on me!

PLEASE don't braid your hair so soon after a relaxer...THat is exactly how most of my hair fell out before I found a few haircare sites.

I would wait the minimum of 3 weeks before I put any tension on freshly relaxed hair but in my case and from what I have learned I think that 5 weeks is a pretty good time.

I would leave my hair alone and make sure not to keep the weave in too long until you learn how your hair works while stretching.

I didn't even think about this...thanks!

I'm going to say Dec 24. The reason is because when you take down the sew in, there will be shed hair mixed in with 6 more weeks worth of new growth. That could lead to matting and breakage.

Good luck whatever you do!

I didn't think abou this either!! :ohwell: now I am scared!

I voted for March. There's no point in relaxing if your hair's gonna stay in braids. Relaxing weakens your hair, braids can too. Putting in braids after freshly relaxing is just asking for trouble.

Your stretch has been smooth sailin so far, I say go for the gold! You're gonna be so amazed by your progress :grin:

Just make sure you thoroughly detangle after taking out each set of braids and keep that hair MOISTURIZED! Good luck, girl!!! You can do it!!!

Thanks Tiffers! I a week left in my ORS I going to try that 14 in 1 ur always raving about!!! :grin::grin::grin:

TLC1020

It is up to you, when you see breakage or when you get tired of dealing with the newgrowth :yep:.

I am currently 12 weeks (3months) post relaxer :drunk: I will be relaxer next week for Christmas and New Year's Eve. 12 weeks is the longest I have ever stretched my relaxers and if it wasn't for the holidays I would probably go longer b/c I have the two weeks off from work so I wuld just keep it in a bun..

I am sure you will be happy with your progress whenever you decide to relax :grin:.