When forming your curls, DO YOU: scrunch, shake, finger twirl, smooth, rake or other?

When you're forming your curls for styles do you

• scrunch your hair with your hands?

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • shake the water from your hair & not touch your curls a lot?

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • twirl your curls individually with your fingers?

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • smooth your hands over your curls?

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • rake your fingers through your curls (finger comb)?

Votes: 25 31.6%
  • Something else...please describe.

Votes: 7 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Diva_Esq

When you're forming your curls for styles do you:

scrunch your hair with your hands?
shake the water from your hair & not touch your curls a lot?
twirl your curls individually with your fingers?
smooth your hands over your curls?
rake your fingers through your curls (finger comb)?
Do you do something different than all of these methods? If so, describe.

Thanks curly girlies! :)

Renovating

Re: When forming your curls, DO YOU: scrunch, shake, finger twirl, smooth, rake or ot

I just cowash, rub some Long Aid in my hands, and finger comb. They're already formed. The activator gel just helps it stay moisturized and makes it soft when it drys.

plastic

Re: When forming your curls, DO YOU: scrunch, shake, finger twirl, smooth, rake or ot

I smooth gel into my wet hair between my fingerpads

so1913

Fingercomb keeping a spray bottle of water to help me smooth out my curls and distribute the styling product in the process.

ConsiderCamille

I voted for shake my head w/o touching my hair too much, because I have a twa and I like the way it dries without all the manipulation (which causes frizziness)

AimWard

I rake, then twirl the ends.

blackindia07

After applying my leave in conditions mixed with various oils...I scrunch with a towel. I find that it gives my curls more definition than just scrunching with my hands.

chebaby

after i co wash i rake product through my soaking wet hair and then wrap in a micro fiber towel. then when i take it off i shake and go.

TwistNMx

after i co wash i rake product through my soaking wet hair and then wrap in a micro fiber towel. then when i take it off i shake and go.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you have a picture of what a micro fiber towel looks like and where I can get one?
I use turbie twist and just know that it's not good for my hair. It's a towel.
Thanks

Diva_Esq

I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you have a picture of what a micro fiber towel looks like and where I can get one?
I use turbie twist and just know that it's not good for my hair. It's a towel.
Thanks

Great question. I thought the turbie twists were microfiber.

Ediese

It depends on what I'm going for. When I first chopped, I thought I had to shingle (twirl each clump together to get perfect definition). I no longer do that. I cowash, apply IC gel and rake my fingers through my hair. If I notice there's a section with really puffy roots, I might brush it through with my denman because it helps define my curls. When it's all done, I shake my hair out so it doesn't look too clumpy.

JinaRicci

I voted for rake through since that's what I do most of the time. When it's a wash n go w/o drying (only in summer) then I try not to touch them so that my hair doesn't raise up & frizz.

Distorted Barbie

shake shake shake..............or denman

ckisland

9 times out of 10 when I'm styling my curls, I'm just doing a wash n'go with no extra styling product. I just smooth conditioner onto both halves of my hair and give a little shake. I get really good and really easy curl definition this way since I don't manipulate my hair after this. Often I tie a t-shirt around my hair for 5-10 minutes to suck up some of the water before I leave the house.

Mz.MoMo5235

i do a whole acrobatic dance! lol

1st i smooth (but not very well cause i'm impatient) each curl (or groups of curls/i'm lazy)

then scrunch with my head upside down

i follow that with a quick tousle to separate

then re-scrunch the ends

THEN I FLIP MY HEAD AND HAIR UPRIGHT!!!

throw my hair over my should scrunch tousle and scrunch

SWITCH SHOULDERS and repeat

then i straighten my self up, and jangle my roots a bit.

LUCKILY!!!! all this is done under 2 min lmao :lol: it sounds like a lot but its so fast and quick (like a ninja) i dont realize i do it until i try and show someone what i do :lol:

Last edited:

Distorted Barbie

LUCKILY!!!! all this is done under 2 min lmao :lol: it sounds like a lot but its so fast and quick (like a ninja) i dont realize i do it until i try and show someone what i do :lol:

LOL!!! tOO FUNNY

RockCreak

Apply product to my dripping wet hair and shake like a doggy!

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict

one strand twists - shingling - finger twirls as you call them.

Without:

With:

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ

i just slap the conditioner in, rub it, and hope for the best. ♥

Diva_Esq

1st i smooth (but not very well cause i'm impatient) each curl (or groups of curls/i'm lazy)

then scrunch with my head upside down

i follow that with a quick tousle to separate

then re-scrunch the ends

THEN I FLIP MY HEAD AND HAIR UPRIGHT!!!

throw my hair over my should scrunch tousle and scrunch

SWITCH SHOULDERS and repeat

then i straighten my self up, and jangle my roots a bit.

:lachen: funniest thing I've read all day! Do ya thang, mama!!! :)

Cheleigh

I used to just smooth the CAG over my hair, but now I've taking to doing a method similar to Ouidad's "Rake and Shake," and I think I like this better. It's basically finger combing a little, and then shaking the ends of the hair with my fingers still entangled. If I have a little extra time, I'll do that in four sections.

I do this on slightly damp hair with a leave-in and some type of gel, usually CAG.

Taina

After co-wash remove the water excess but leave a little bit of conditioner on, then apply myleave in (or juice now) and denman =).

When i dont have the time just finger comb

glamazon386

I smooth the edges with my hands and then kind of rake through the rest with my fingers.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time

I just rinse the conditioner halfway out, add some olive oil, squeeze the excess + water out of my hair and let it air dry.

I don't rake, shake, twirl, smooth or scrunch :D

For my hair, it's important to just leave the curls alone.

GoingNatural

I agree with FlowerHair. Doing everything mentioned in the subject line usually just creates frizz for me. When I'm still in the shower, hair wet with conditioner I just squeeze out the excess to make it easier for my hair to dry and that's it.

When I was relaxed I used to try to scrunch and twirl all the time--didn't help i was relaxed bone straight! lol

Whimsy

I wish I could pick two.
I rub my hands over my hair when I'm applying my moisturizer.
Then I scrunch after I've applied my mousse or styling cream.

It aerates and frizzifies my hair when I don't have conditioner left in it. (what i do when i want a BIG fluffy wash n go.)
If I have conditioner left in my hair, the manipulation doesn't cause frizzies for me.

BostonMaria

I apply a leave-in conditioner, comb my hair with a Denman, apply gel and then shake my head like a dog LOL After that I can't touch my curls or it'll get frizzy

Foufie

I leave a lil condish after a cowash flip my head upside and shake and spray some jheri juice. Can't touch after that or I'll like a dirty cotton ball

MsLizziA

shake the water from your hair & not touch your curls a lot