What's Your Denomination and Your Belief on these Concepts...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
First, state your Denomination (if you're not affiliated with one, just say Christian or Non-denominational).

Second, state your belief on the following concepts:
1. Original Sin
2. Salvation
3. Atonement for Sin
4. Free Will vs Predestination
5. Can Salvation be Lost?
6. Works
7. Heaven
8. Hell
9. Purgatory
10. End Times

I thought of this thread from the following site: http://christianity.about.com/od/denominationscomparison/ss/comparebeliefs2.htm

I also want to know what you all think about Christian denominations and the division among Christianity.

Thanks in advance!

Spongie Bloom

I do not belong to a denomination at present Im in the proces sof finding a church, I study on my own at home

1. Original Sin I believe it to be fact and not just a story.

2. Salvation I believe salvation comes when you accept Jesus Christ as your personal saviour and proceed to live life in God's light so therefore words led by actions i.e demonstrating your love for God by abiding by his rules.

3. Atonement for Sin the Son of Man and repentence we all fall short but are saved by grace through faith and when you sin you should repent and not do it again there is no point doing the same thing over and over but repenting every evening, the goal is getting closer to God (sin is a barrier) and also becoming a better person.

4. Free Will vs Predestination I believe we all have free will. By our actions and our faith are we judged.

5. Can Salvation be Lost? Yes walking with Christ is a lifelong uphill journey that must be adhered to because if not the devil can bring you down when one repents they must turn away from their sins and experience conversion.

6. Works They are part of Christian life as well as humanity as a whole, one should strive to better the world and help those who are less fortunate than themselves out of the goodness of their hearts.

7. Heaven Is where God lives and where everyone who is good will also live for eternity. It is an actual physical place.

8. Hell Is not a place where there is a devil with horns and a pitchfork nicely roasting pple :evilbanana:. The devil is actually on earth at the present moment. The devil is not the gatekeeper nor is it his domain. Hell is not a bottomless pit but here on earth after the righteous have gone with Christ to heaven (1,000 yrs Jeremiah 25;33, Revelation 19-20). Sinners are not immortal so hellfire will not burn for all eternity.

9. Purgatory I dont believe in this, it is not in the Bible.

10. End Times This is outlined in the book of Revelations i believe this is when Christians will be persecuted and the devils recruitment becomes a lot more aggressive hence the mark of the beast it will culminate with the 2nd coming of Jesus, and judgement day

I thought of this thread from the following site: http://christianity.about.com/od/den...rebeliefs2.htm

I also want to know what you all think about Christian denominations and the division among Christianity.

I dont necessarily agree with all the different beliefs but I think it is necessary especially taking into account the anti Christ (book of Daniel) and also how pple intepret the Bible differently...its a shame though.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Catholic, traditional

1. Original Sin
I believe that the tendancy to commit sin was passed down from Adam but do not believe babies are born sinful. I'm in-between with this one, between catholic view and Jewish views of it.

2. Salvation
I believe in salvation from shame, sin, suffering and death and that people who do not know Jesus will go to heaven. It all depends upon the truth they have and how they live according to it. In other words, everyone knows when he is evil. Some are repentant, some are not.

3. Atonement for Sin
In Christ, the sacrifice on the cross, fulfillment of Temple sacrifices.

G-d gave free will but He knows all in the end. We have free-will but I don't believe there are circumstances in the cosmos affecting how I will do things. Everyone has a chance and a free mind to choose whatever they do.

The scriptures say to persevere unto the end.

6. Works
Works are evidence of a good heart.

7. Heaven
Heaven exists.

8. Hell
Those who perish spiritually will end up as well as satan
(Edit: the above is simply funny! I meant that they'll end up in hell as well as satan. But it's the truth lolol!)

9. Purgatory
Mortal sin (unrepented serious full-knowledge sins) leads to eternal spiritual death. Venial sins (less serious sins) unrepented don't lead to eternal damnation, but must be burned off before entry into heaven. G-d is perfect.

10. End Times
I believe in the resurrection of the dead and the Messianic times. I think Revelations is allegorical and not to be taken literally. Anti-christs have already appeared in the world and I think Antiochus was deemed the first? I'm not sure on that one. Hitler was also one.

Last edited:

Child0fGod

First, state your Denomination (if you're not affiliated with one, just say Christian or Non-denominational).

1. Original Sin
2. Salvation
3. Atonement for Sin
6. Works
7. Heaven
8. Hell
9. Purgatory
10. End Times

I thought of this thread from the following site: http://christianity.about.com/od/denominationscomparison/ss/comparebeliefs2.htm

Thanks in advance!

from
APATHETIC to

baptist to
non-denominational to
pentecostal/holiness

with
apostolic beliefs/truths too (according to Book of Acts)

1. Original Sin
it happened

2. Salvation

is real, possible, necessary, required

3. Atonement for Sin
is merciful, selfless

God has ordained everything

Hebrews 6:6
If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

6. Works
must have faith and works, not just faith or works.

James 2
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=james 2&version=KJV

7. Heaven
it exists

8. Hell
it exists

9. Purgatory

cannot comment on this one due to my ignorance to it's full meaning.

Matthew 12:36
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

10. End Times

are inevitable

Revelation 1:3
Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Mark 1:14-15

14Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, 15And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

as far as division in the church,

1 Corinthians 12:25
That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.

if i'm wrong in any of my stances, Lord God hold me accountable. brothers and sisters IN CHRIST please let me know.

thank GOD,
amen & GLORY,

Last edited:

moonglowdiva

1. Original Sin
2. Salvation
3. Atonement for Sin
6. Works
7. Heaven
8. Hell
9. Purgatory
10. End Times

Thanks in advance!

Pentecostal Evangelical
1. Original Sin: Happended in the Garden of Eden, Eve was deceived by the serpent. Genesis 3
2. Salvation: Admit you are a sinner and ask God's forgiveness and repent of your sins. Romans 3:10, 23; 5:8; 6:23; 10:13 acts 3:19. Believe in Jesus John 3:16; John 14:6 Become a child of God bu receiving Christ John 1:2; Revelation 3:20. Confess that Jesus is your Lord Romans 10:9
3. Atonement for Sin: Sin is forgiven by God. He sent his only begotten son because He loved us so much. We have Jesus as the spotless lamb that was sacrific when it should have been you and me up on that cross. I thank God for saving grace.
4. Free Will vs Predestination: In his heart a man (mankind) plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9
5. Can Salvation be Lost?:
Can a saved person ever again be lost?

Can a Christian lose his salvation? Can a person once saved, having received God's free gift of eternal life and having been born into the family of God, again return exactly and completely to the position of being a lost and guilty sinner in the eyes of God? Of course not! The very nature of the spiritual life that has been received—eternal—and the Divine Source and Agent of that life—God—forbid drawing the conclusion that a saved person can ever again be lost.
"And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand."
-
John 10:28 (NKJV)
This Biblical doctrine that a person who has received Jesus Christ, been born into the family of God, and justified by faith, can never again be lost is sometimes called eternal security. Others speak of it as the perseverance of the saints. The latter expression might better be termed the perseverance of God in behalf of the saints, because the security of our salvation does not rest on us but on God—it is based on the work of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
6. Works: Established by the law. We are saved by faith in Christ and we live by faith in Christ. This means we are dead to the law.
7. Heaven: It exist.
8. Hell: It exist.
9. Purgatory: It is not mentioned in my Bible. I do not believe in it.
10. End Times: The present (on going).

Mamita

Back to basics
Thank you for this, it helps

First, state your Denomination Holiness

1. Original Sin euuh, it's bad? ah ok i get it, yes it happened, it brought death, and is in all of us now. makes us all sinners from the moment we are conceived

2. Salvation not destined to be for everyone, plan of salvation, repent, baptised immerged in water, live right, get filled with the Holy Ghost, live right until you die

3. Atonement for Sin Jesus Christ was the Lamb sent for our sins, no need to do anything else but convert

4. Free Will vs Predestination we do have free will, but God knows all, rules are different for God's Holy Ghost filled tongue speaking children and mere sinners. the Lord won't let us do any and everything, whereas He'll leave the stone cold sinners to their own devices, there's blessings and then there's mercy

5. Can Salvation be Lost? yes it can, once saved always saved isn't true, it says it's the condition you're in when you die that matters, even if you did a lot of good that won't be remembered

6. Works essential for salvation

7. Heaven exists

8. Hell exists, what's in there, i'm not clear on it yet, but i know who's going

9. Purgatory man's invention to extort money from gullible followers

10. End Times sooooooooooooooooon so soooon

Thanks in advance

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Thanks in advance

I think it's a sad state of affairs. It doesn't necessarily get any better amongst the orthodox faiths because there are social and political grievances that happened in the past that have created this schism. Of course, there was the further schism in the Church with the Reformation. The ecumenical movement is working to unite the body once again but I don't see that happening any time soon because of the varying theologies that occur because of the continuous "schism." Unfortunately, this leaves many people disillusioned at times...and leaves some others accusatory. No matter the differences, there can be respect.

DivaD04

i'm baptist

1. Original Sin- Adam and Eve ate from the forbidden tree of knowledge....disobeyed God...pretty much Genesis 3
2. Salvation- I've accepted Christ as my Lord and Personal Savior John 3:16
3. Atonement for Sin-atonement through the death, burial, and bodily resurrection of Jesus
4. Free Will vs Predestination- predestination but God did give us free will a brain to make choices
5. Can Salvation be Lost? NO. God does not play keep away with Salvation.
6. Works- For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9)
7. Heaven-There will no longer be any separation between God and man. The believers themselves will exist in incorruptible, resurrected and new bodies; there will be no sickness, no death and no tears.
8. Hell- very hot and full package of misery of all sins and a place i don't want to be...it exists
9. Purgatory- ummmm, no. but I'm going to leave this one to Christ
10. End Times- we're in the end times (Church Age), next up the return of Christ

i really wish we can put an end to denominations. i think the word religion seperates us from the word and God's plan. but man his own opinions as to what he thinks is true and false.the best we can do is to respect and love one another as children of Christ.

eta:salvation

Last edited:

Daughter

UK Blak
Hello! I belong to a non-denominational fellowship. Here's my beliefs on the ten points:

1. Original Sin - "total depravity", that all are born sinners by nature, all have sinned and fall short of God's holy standard (Romans 3:23)

2. Salvation - This is a gift from God (Ephesians 2:8-9) which comes from repentance from sin and faith in Jesus Christ alone. Baptism is required as obedience to Christ's command but this does not save souls.

3. Atonement for Sin - brought about only through the death and resurrection of Jesus. The atonement is applied to the believer in faith in Christ's atoning sacrifice on the cross.

4. Free Will vs Predestination - I hold to reformed theology, which teaches that believers are predestined but at the same time people still are held to account for their sins.

5. Can Salvation be Lost? - No, it's a gift from God, the gifts and calling from God are without repentance. Jesus said in John 10:28 "And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." 1 John 3 teaches that we can KNOW if we have eternal life and this is by testing our fruit. Those who "fall away" were false converts in the first place.

6. Works - The Bible says that faith without works are dead in the book of James. However, works in and of themselves cannot merit favour with God.

7. Heaven - eternity with the Lord, where nothing unholy can dwell.

8. Hell - eternal punishment for those who reject Christ.

9. Purgatory - a Roman Catholic doctrine which I believe is not supported by the Bible.

10. End Times - I believe that the rapture will not be "secret" but in view of the entire world (Rev 1:7), and that saints may suffer persecution, as has been the case throughout church history and even in the present. I believe that Jesus' glorious appearing will be past the millenial period, but I still have more studying to do before I can say much more about it :)

BTW - I do think that unnecessary division is said, after all Jesus prayed for unity among His believers. However, I do find denominational distinctives useful, in so far as when visiting churches or talking with fellow saints one can understand roughly what doctrines they believe. I do think that sectarianism is bad, I welcome fellowship with Christians of other denominations :)

Last edited:

rafikichick92

I was raised nondenominational, evangelical and Baptist. My current church is Weslyan, but I have lots of Fundamentalist and Pentecostal/Apostolic tendencies.

1. Original Sin - Adam sinned so now we are all sinners from birth.

2. Salvation - A gift from God which requires us to repent of our sins, begin to follow and serve God (fulfilling the great commission, growing in Godliness, etc). We do need to be baptized (NOT to receive salvation, though; just as an public expression of the fact that that we do believe). I believe we should be baptized in Jesus' name.

3. Atonement for Sin - Christ did so on the cross and all we have to do is believe on him to be saved

4. Free Will vs Predestination - I believe that we have free will to choose our actions, but that God knows what ultimately what will happen and has a plan for each of us, but we can stray because we have free will.

5. Can Salvation be Lost? - No--once truly saved, always saved.

6. Works - Works are evidence of our faith, but we do not need them to be saved, but if we are truly saved it's 99% likely our lives will reflect it through our works.

7. Heaven - the physical place where Christians will spend eternity

8. Hell - the physical place where those who are not saved will spend eternity with Satan

9. Purgatory - I don't believe in it.

10. End Times - I haven't done all that much research, but I believe that these will be literal events (as recorded in Daniel, Revelation, etc) and that the rapture will occur after the great tribulation and all the world will see it happen

It will be interesting to see more responses. Off to class now! :grin:

Crown

Christian (non denominational).

Second, state your belief on the following concepts :

1. Original Sin
Adam and Eve choosing the knowledge of good and evil, instead of choosing the life in God.
(1Tim.2.14 ; Gen. 3.6 )

2. Salvation
By the grace of God !
(Rom. 9.11 ; Rom. 11.5)
Eph. 2.8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 2.9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 2.10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

3. Atonement for Sin
NT : Jesus-Christ
(Rom. 5.11 , 5.19 ; Mat. 6.12 )
1Jh. 2.1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2.2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Free will to choose between good and evil.
Gen.4.7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

Predestination in the Plan of God.
(Ex.14.4 ; 2Chr. 10.15 , 11.4 ; Prov.19.21 ; Rom.13.1-4 ; Ap. 13.8 )
Eph.1.4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love

NO! God is not an amateur.
(Rom.8.28-30 ; Ph. 2.13 ; 1Pet. 1.4 ; 2Tim.1.9
)
Jn.10.27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 10.28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 10.29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Mc. 13.22 For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

6. Works
Not the works of the law but the works of the faith. The works of the faith are a manifestation.
(Gal.3.9-11 ; Eph.2.9 ; Tit.3.5 ; 1Tim.5.25 )
Gal.2.16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law : for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Jc.2.26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

7. Heaven
A real place :
Mat.5.34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
Eph. 4.10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.

The spiritual (heaven) vs the material and the flesh (earth) :
Eph. 2.6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus…

8. Hell
Sometimes confused term, some replace it by grave. But, grave is for dead body, and hell is a place of punishment by fire at the end of times. Hell fire or lake of fire is more precise.
Mc.9.47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

9. Purgatory
Not in the Bible.

10. End Times
Yes, but be prepared for any time, many will die before this time.

Crown

Thanks in advance!

Someone who sincerely believes : I am a Christian, does make sure that he/she really is in the body of Christ and not being deceived :
Act. 17.11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
2Cor. 13.5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
Eph. 4.4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 4.5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 4.6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Prudent1

Just commenting on the last question you asked concerning division cuz I can't really add anything since I agree with those I thanked. Divide and conquer is not new, as are none of the tactics currently employed by the enemy. *shrugs shoulders* So, b/c we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against powers, pricipalities and spritual wickedness in high places(Eph 6:12) this thing is sooo not about us and our little religions and man made doctrines:rolleyes:. Division IMHO, is and always will be a weapon like say comparison used to distract believers who are weaker (For whatever reason. Think parable of the sower. We will not all bear the same amount of fruit.) and cause strife (Prov 13:10 and James 4:1) in the body of Christ. Because some believers are content :yawn: living mediocre lives, they will settle and not even try to seek God on this matter. Long story short, if we say the bible is the 'ruler' we use to measure with and is the conclusion to all things but don't heartily pursue a working knowledge of what God has said about how he wants our churches to function then shame on us...* shrugs shoulders again*. Our God is a God of decency and order.