What's Your Current Pre-poo Regimen?

Smiley79

I want to pre-poo my hair as part of my hair care regimen. I used to do this faithfully when I was relaxed; but since I've been natural I do mostly cowashes and no longer focused on pre-pooing as much. Now that I'm adding shampoo back to my regimen (every two weeks) I'd like some ideas of how you ladies pre-poo your hair so I can get back on it too. TIA

I always pre-poo.

Either with:
*Coconut oil
*A conditioner I'm trying to use up mixed with silk amino acids or oil
*A Shea Moisture conditioner
*Argan and rosehip seed oil mix
*Argan/rosehip/grapeseed/coconut oil mix

Like India Arie says...it really just depends on whatever feels good to my soul. lol

On Tuesdays, I pre-poo with a cowash conditioner. I put the CW conditioner on my head & plaits and sit under a heat cap for 30 minutes. Then, I CW my scalp & braids and wash it out.

On Fridays, I take out my plaits and pre-poo overnight with a spritz of AVJ mix (water, AVJ, Infusium 23 & a few drops of an essential oil). Then, I add oil to my hair (either coconut or ayurvedic oil) and baggy overnight. The next morning, I spritz my hair with water and add on a DC and sit under a heat cap for an hour and either CW or shampoo.

And are you ladies doinf your prepoo with heat?

Only use a cap with my prepoo. I use heat with my DC. Using heat with both seems a bit excessive

I prepoo with a mix of Shea butter, aloe Vera juice, and grape seed oil. I'm switching to a cheapie conditioner mixed with oil once my Shea butter runs out

Thanks ladies for all the tips, last night I ended up pre-pooing with some argan oil that I was trying to use up.

Moving forward I will alternate between using conditioners that I have left over and doing coconut oil hot oil treatments.

I still use Chicoro's method but I think I'll change things up a bit by using some of my conditioners I need to use up mixed with butters and/or oils. This should be interesting...

I pre poo with raw coconut oil, SAA, and pure ceramide oil that I bought from lotioncrafters. I melt the coconut oil and mix all three together and leave on for a few hours. Then shampoo and condition.

I've never seen the pure ceramide oil. Do you have to mix with something to use?

I've never seen the pure ceramide oil. Do you have to mix with something to use?
It is really expensive so yes I always mix it with other oils and then add the oil to my conditioners or on my hair as a pre poo. I never use it alone because it's thick and concentrated.

WP_20160123_10_49_30_Pro.jpg Here's my ceramide. This little bottle cost 15.75 at lotioncrafters. I always put the entire bottle in a big jar of coconut oil or combine two bottles of hot six oil and put it in it. Then I put the oil in all my favorite conditions, shampoos, and leave ins... And of course like I said, I use the oil as a pre poo too. It's too expensive to use straight out the bottle and it's thick and concentrated. It's more like a cream consistency.

Ingredients: Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6 II, Ceramide 1, Phytosphingosine, Cholestrol, Sodium lauroyl lactylate, Carbomer, Xanthan gum

Last edited:
This morning I prepooed with Mizani Moisturefuse mixed with aloe juice and castor oil for 30 minutes.

Then I put Kurleebelle almond shea butter shampoo right on top of the prepoo, detangled and rinsed it out.

Next I DC'ed with matrix conditioning balm mixed with Mizani Moisturefuse conditioner under hooded dryer for approximately 30 minutes.

I'm about to hot oil rinse with a castor and sunflower oil mix and rinse it out and will be adding Redken anti-snap leave in sealed with sunflower oil. Put my hair back in three big celies, wig it and done for the day.

Today I used;
Naturelle Grow's Coconut & Banana Pre-Poo conditioner. I also have the Guava & Fig Pre-Poo by Naturelle Grow.

I have a couple others.

I also like Bekura's Whiskey Vanilla Pre-Rx and Mission:Condition's TerraForma Pre-Poo treatment.

Unfortunately, Mission:Condition's line has been discontinued, but that was a fabulous Pre-Poo Treatment.

I just bought Honey Handmades "Knot Going Bananas" which can be used as a Pre-Poo Treatment (I haven't tried it yet).

I like the ones specifically designed as a Pre-Poo because I'm not a mixtress.

I'll also use Oils from time to time too.

I usually pre-poo overnight with various oils. I am loving the HV Vatika Frosting and I usually add some Amla oil and whatever oils I feel like using.
I do plan on getting some Hemp Seed Oil, Rice Bran Oil and Sweet Almond Oil very soon and will be incorporating those in my pre-poo as well.

View attachment 349285 Here's my ceramide. This little bottle cost 15.75 at lotioncrafters. I always put the entire bottle in a big jar of coconut oil or combine two bottles of hot six oil and put it in it. Then I put the oil in all my favorite conditions, shampoos, and leave ins... And of course like I said, I use the oil as a pre poo too. It's too expensive to use straight out the bottle and it's thick and concentrated. It's more like a cream consistency.

Ingredients: Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6 II, Ceramide 1, Phytosphingosine, Cholestrol, Sodium lauroyl lactylate, Carbomer, Xanthan gum

THANK YOU. I haven't been paid yet but immabout go into the red and get two of these (UK/delivery). This post is worth its weight in gold.

THANK YOU. I haven't been paid yet but immabout go into the red and get two of these (UK/delivery). This post is worth its weight in gold.
You go girl!.. They also have different sizes. Just expensive. Be sure to put it in a large amount of your favorite oil before you add it to conditioners unless you don't want to stretch it.

When i prepoo i use aloe vera gel then seal w oil, lately grapeseed im tryg to finish
Sometimes i use heat, sometimes i sleep w a baggy but i need the prepoo to really soak in deep. On wash day my hair is usually in need of some tlc...pretty dry... soaks that aloe right up. Nothg drips

I didn't do the chicoro prepoo for the last two times but I did incorporate the oil and aloe vera juice both times so I guess it's still a modified version of it. I used a deep conditioner I'm trying to use up with the aloe juice and oil added to it. I left it on my hair for about 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Back