What's the Difference Between Lye and No Lye relaxers?

Do you Use Lye, or No Lye Relaxers? Or do you use Both?

• Total voters

Qtpie1978

Hello ladies..:wave: I'm curious, what's the difference between Lye and no Lye relaxers? This has been something that has perplexed me since I've been putting in perms:confused::perplexed.. Is one better than the other, or better for a certain type of hair, or what? I assume both give good results, since it seems to be a even split between those who use lye, to no lye, but I'm confused on the difference of the two..?:confused: Thanks in advance..!:cool: Hopefully I can finally get some clarity of these two types of perms...

KiniKakes

Im not the best person to answer this question, so i'll let one of the resident experts take a stab at it. :)

But I will say that no-lye (obviously) has lower levels of lye and thus burns less(?) I know that some folks say no-lye dries the hair out and causes calcium build-up, etc. I havent experienced any of this. Ive been using no-lye for about 4 years now. Prior to that i used lye. My hair is the exact same..... not sure why i even switched. But now that im content with my hair, i have no desire to switch back.

preciousjewel76

I did a search and found some threads for you that discuss the pros and cons. But basically, "no-lye" relaxers aren't necessarily better/safer for your hair. They contain calcium hydroxide, which can be just as damaging as the sodium hydroxide in "lye" relaxers. Plus, no-lye relaxers can leave calcium buildup on one's hair, making it feel dry over time. Lye relaxers don't leave this buildup.

Personally, I've used both relaxers, but I've been getting lye relaxers for the last several years and I'll continue with that, for now.

Results of thread search:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=47236&highlight=lye

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=103216&highlight=lye

I hope that helps!:)

caribeandiva

Human being
lye relaxers has sodium hydroxide in it (that's what lye is) no lye relaxers have calcium hydroxide in it thus are "no-lye". i prefer lye relaxers because calcium hydroxide in the no-lye relaxers coats the hair shaft with each application and can eventually prevents moisture and other nutrients to get to the hair core and thus dryness ensues. Lye relaxers don't do that. for more info pick up this book: Beautiful black hair by Shamboosie

shunta

Co-signing with everyone who has posted so far. Ive recently switched fom no-lye to lye exclusively, and my hair is much softer and silkier. When I used no-lye, my hair was dry and dull. I never knew why until I stumbled across hair boards and properly educated myself on black haircare. Thank God for LHCF!!:lol:

kitchen_tician

ITA with the others. I've always been told and also believe:

Lye - Better on hair, worse on scalp
No-Lye - Better on scalp, worse on hair

Of course it depends on the person, but this is what applies for me. I prefer lye.

BTW QTpie, you, your hair and your baby are beautiful!

Last edited:

Mystic

I agree with this.

shunta said:
Co-signing with everyone who has posted so far. Ive recently switched fom no-lye to lye exclusively, and my hair is much softer and silkier. When I used no-lye, my hair was dry and dull. I never knew why until I stumbled across hair boards and properly educated myself on black haircare. Thank God for LHCF!!:lol:

Qtpie1978

Thank you guys so much for all your respones. :DThat helped clarify things alot..! and thanks Kitchen, you nad your hair is GORGEOUS too..!!:) I was tryin' to post you a question on your site, to ask if Henna was only for Natural hair? and what exactly it is? I have never heard of it b4, but from looking at the results of your hair with it's use, I'm curious to learn more about it.. :cool:

kitchen_tician

Thank you! Yes, henna is for relaxed and naturals. Check out Sareca's fotki and look under her journal. There's lots of answers to questions about henna.

Qtpie1978 said:
Thank you guys so much for all your respones. :DThat helped clarify things alot..! and thanks Kitchen, you nad your hair is GORGEOUS too..!!:) I was tryin' to post you a question on your site, to ask if Henna was only for Natural hair? and what exactly it is? I have never heard of it b4, but from looking at the results of your hair with it's use, I'm curious to learn more about it.. :cool:

chayil0427

Using Lye revolutionized my hair. Before it was dry and broken up, but now the cuticle is smooth and shiny. My hair is sooooo much softer and more manageable and I'm able to style my hair (even blowdry!) with zero breakage. Yet, I know a lot of long ladies on here use no-lye...it's a personal preference...whatever works best for you. Yet, the pH of lye relaxers is actually lower then calium hydroxide (no-lye). I find I straighten faster with less burining with lye.

Chayil

Last edited:

navsegda

I prefer lye relaxers, and the only time I've used no-lye relaxers in the past is when I couldn't get to a BSS to get the Motions relaxer. Simply put, lye is harsher on the scalp but better on the hair, and no-lye is gentler on the scalp but worse on the hair.

Lady Esquire

I prefer lye relaxers, and the only time I've used no-lye relaxers in the past is when I couldn't get to a BSS to get the Motions relaxer. Simply put, lye is harsher on the scalp but better on the hair, and no-lye is gentler on the scalp but worse on the hair.

Great thread. Great explanation.

MariposaSexyGirl

I don't really feel there is much of a difference except the chemical compound of it.They both damage your hair. Alot of people say lye is better . But in the cases of Kinikakes,silver2,CandyC who use no-lye it doesn't really seem to matter. I think it's just how well you take care of your. My stylist who has waist length hair told me it's better to use a no-lye at home and to get a lye when your at a salon. She said Lye would be sugar and a no-lye would be sweet'n' low for comparison. I use no-lye myself and when I start taking better care of my hair I have no problems associated with no-lye relaxers.

A

AmilLion

Hello ladies..:wave: I'm curious, what's the difference between Lye and no Lye relaxers? This has been something that has perplexed me since I've been putting in perms:confused::perplexed.. Is one better than the other, or better for a certain type of hair, or what? I assume both give good results, since it seems to be a even split between those who use lye, to no lye, but I'm confused on the difference of the two..?:confused: Thanks in advance..!:cool: Hopefully I can finally get some clarity of these two types of perms...

Lye = Sodium Hydroxide
No Lye = Calcium Hydroxide

Scientifically speaking, Calcium leaves a deposit behind because when rinsed with water, it does not completely disassociate like Sodium does. I would guess, this is why No Lye relaxers tend to be drying because of the calcium deposits left behind, not throughly allowing conditioners, moisturizers and etc to penetrate as readily. The stronger the ionic bond (like Sodium Hydroxide), the more readily it disassociates with water...I hope I'm remembering this correctly from chemistry LOL.

But being a stronger ionic bond, the pH increases.

Both has it pros and cons.

No Lye (CaOH^-2)
Leaves Calcium Deposits = drier hair (so hair will need more attention especially when moisturizing, might need to use clarifiers more often)
lower pH - less damaging (because it's not breaking down the hair bonds as quickly as sodium hydroxide

Lye - (NAOH)
Relaxer will readily rinse much easier, shouldn't leave any deposits.
higher pH - much more damaging effects if used incorrectly, breaks down the bonds faster

Last edited by a moderator:

MariposaSexyGirl

Lye = Sodium Hydroxide
No Lye = Calcium Hydroxide

Scientifically speaking, Calcium leaves a deposit behind because when rinsed with water, it does not completely disassociate like Sodium does. I would guess, this is why No Lye relaxers tend to be drying because of the calcium deposits left behind, not throughly allowing conditioners, moisturizers and etc to penetrate as readily. The stronger the ionic bond, the more readily it disassociates with water...I hope I'm remembering this correctly from chemistry LOL.

There are ways to solve this problem. Check out sistaslicks chemical support articles.

http://public.fotki.com/sistaslick/sistaslicks-healthy/chemical-relaxer-su/

A

AmilLion

So when you switch do you have to chop the old hair off? Or can you just retouch with the lye?

Scientifically speaking, I wouldnt see the need to chop. Both are doing the same thing, but different chemical compositions, one at a faster rate than the other.

I personally think....as long as the mineral deposits is removed thoroughly, one should be fine to switch relaxers.

but I'm no hair guru LOL...

A

AmilLion

There are ways to solve this problem. Check out sistaslicks chemical support articles.

http://public.fotki.com/sistaslick/sistaslicks-healthy/chemical-relaxer-su/

Look at my post again, I edited it. yes, there are ways to remove calcium deposits.....but I was just giving the girl an explanation I can furnish to explain the difference between No Lye and Lye. I personally think, No Lye requires a bit more work than Lye. But, you have to be skilled when applying Lye. if not skilled with applying Lye, I think No Lye is the better option to go, because all you would have to do is find out the proper way to remove the calcium deposits and you should be good to go. Unfortunately, this isn't on the back of No Lye Relaxers LOL.

Babydall818

Oh man, I have always used Lye relaxers and it always did great. Then, my sisters whom use no lye and I had hair envy I guess so I decided to try it.:nono: Never again! I was burned, hair was dry, and it was nice the first day only; after that I had to do major repair to my hair. I will only use lye!

vestaluv1

I'd like to second this post!
I only wish I had been using Lye relaxers since I started to relax.

I only started to use No-Lye because they are known for being milder on the scalp and also, less of a 'hazard' for self relaxers, and aside from this all the box relaxers in my local beauty supply stores were No Lye.
My hair always felt dry, brittle and straw like with the No Lye relaxers, but a couple of weeks ago I switched to Lye and I could not believe the difference it made.

My hair was soft, silky and had that swang!

Crystalicequeen123

Yeah I've made up my mind to go back to a LYE Relaxer.

I can't deal with all the dryness and dullness anymore. :nono: I tried the no-lye for 2 touchup applications thinking that it would be less harsher on my scalp, but I guess my hair just can't lie! My hair HATES no-lye! :(

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Interesting and informative. I switched to no-lye recently and I very much like that the burning isn't really there, I don't get scalp sores, and there's much less/little to no hair thinning.

I did notice, though, that when I flat ironed it didn't have the usual sheen.

beana

I have a very sensitive scalp and no-lye is better for me overall. Lately i've been flip flopping about what relaxer (lye or no-lye) to use next but have decided to stick with no-lye. The ph of my relaxer is low (11.5- 12.5 range) and my hair straightens just as well, plus i notice i'm able to keep more thickness from root to tip with no-lye.

In order to remove calcium deposits left behind by no-lye you should use shampoos with either disodium or tetrasodium EDTA. these are chelating ingredients and remove calcium/mineral deposits from the hair. The following chelating/clarifying routine works for me:

I relax every 3 months

Week1
immediately after rinsing out the relaxer i use a chelating shampoo. I leave the first lather on for 5 minutes, the second lather on for 3 and do a quick 3rd lather and rinse.

I use an ACV rinse, apply DC, and style.

Week 2
1st lather: use a shampoo with EDTA (aphogee for damaged hair, the phyto neutralizing poo, elucence volume clarifying, etc)
2nd lather elucence MB poo

every 4 weeks thereafter i use a clarifying poo for my 1st lather.