What's the difference between baggying and deep conditioning?

MsLizziA

I notice that i baggy the same way i dc.

I apply conditioner or whatever else and i put the plastic cap on my hair and let it sit.

When i DC , i sit under the hair dryer but if i get lazy i just apply the product, put the plastic cap on, and go to bed and rinse the next morning.

So what makes the latter so different from baggying over night?

butter_pecan

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe "baggying" is applying a deep conditioning treatment/mixture to your hair, putting it in a shower cap, or wrapping it with saran and letting it sit for an extended period of time (overnight even). You can apply a hot towel to it, too (the steam is extra conditioning).

I don't know for sure if my answer is completely correct, so just keep bumping for answers.

MissYocairis

Baggying is separating your hair into two or more ponytails...oiling your scalp and the length of your hair and ends with a good oil (like EVOO or EVCO or Castor Oil) and saturating the ponytails with the oil, placing a PLASTIC SANDWICH BAGGIE over each individual ponytail...and securing each one with another elastic. Then you put a plastic cap over all of your head and wrap in a scarf.

Wow. I am surprised the art of baggying has been forgotten briefly.

Last edited:

MissYocairis

I do. And, "we" did...meaning most of the LHCF members I can recall from 2006 on back...I never knew that "baggying" had morphed into slathering condish on and a shower cap.

It's definitely a treatment focusing on your length and ends...obviously it must be washed out so it's considered a pre-poo treatment. It's generally done overnight or longer. Some ladies used to do one ponytail and then wear a phonypony over that and baggy for 2-3 days in a row.

MsLizziA

I do. And, "we" did...meaning most of the LHCF members I can recall from 2006 on back...I never knew that "baggying" had morphed into slathering condish on and a shower cap.

It's definitely a treatment focusing on your length and ends...obviously it must be washed out so it's considered a pre-poo treatment. It's generally done overnight or longer. Some ladies used to do one ponytail and then wear a phonypony over that and baggy for 2-3 days in a row.

Wow for real? Girl me and you are gonna be the best of friends in the future. :grin: I see this happening

ceebee3

Oh, okay. So it's basically a hot oil treatment with the hair covered in plastic for a while?

I've done that.

MissYocairis

Oh, okay. So it's basically a hot oil treatment with the hair covered in plastic for a while?

I've done that.

basically...but it's really important that the plastic is individually wrapped around each ponytail. The "BAGGIE METHOD" was named that way because somebody started using sandwich baggies on her oil-saturated ponytails.

I've never tried it with condish. I think using an oil is healthier and equally if not more moisturizing. It's a pre-poo oil treatment. Also...I briefly mentioned this earlier...but CASTOR OIL and the baggie method are like peanut butter and jelly. They go together REALLLY WELL.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Lol, you all are confusing me.

When I baggy, I apply a small amount of moisturizer and put a plastic bag on my hair. Sometimes, I just cover my whole head with the bag and other times, I make some ponytails, put them on rollers, and then cover those with saran wrap. Then I tie on my scarf. I leave that on overnight, and in the morning, I take off the baggy, seal my hair, and bun it up.

When I deep condition, I apply a conditioner, put a bag or shower cap over it, and leave it there for an hour. Most of the time, I use a heat source to help with absorption, although recently, I've been skipping the bag and using a steamer.

So I'd tell you that the difference between baggying and DCing is:
1. The products used...people usually use a moisturizer to baggy, but you don't DC with a moisturizer.
2. What you do afterwards...you don't need to rinse after you baggy.

I didn't know that people use oil to baggy though...especially saturating their hair with it.
Doesn't that make your hair a greasy mess?
I know that when I was using too much moisturizer, I was getting wet hair in the morning. And that was bad enough.
I can't imagine what would happen if I soaked my hair in oil and then baggied. :perplexed
Can anyone explain it to me?

Ciacia

From what I understood

Baggying = applying a moisturizer ans a sealer on your ends or your whole head (whole-head baggying) and put a plastic cap on it. It can be done during the day (with a phony pony to cover it), overnight, whenever you want..... It does not require rinsing

Deep conditioning= applying a conditioner (protein or moisture based) on your hair thet sit under a dryer, or put a plastic cap....... and then rinse the product. Usually girls do it weekly (or less/more often)

HTH

Last edited:

MissYocairis

Lol, you all are confusing me.

When I baggy, I apply a small amount of moisturizer and put a plastic bag on my hair. Sometimes, I just cover my whole head with the bag and other times, I make some ponytails, put them on rollers, and then cover those with saran wrap. Then I tie on my scarf. I leave that on overnight, and in the morning, I take off the baggy, seal my hair, and bun it up.

When I deep condition, I apply a conditioner, put a bag or shower cap over it, and leave it there for an hour. Most of the time, I use a heat source to help with absorption, although recently, I've been skipping the bag and using a steamer.

So I'd tell you that the difference between baggying and DCing is:
1. The products used...people usually use a moisturizer to baggy, but you don't DC with a moisturizer.
2. What you do afterwards...you don't need to rinse after you baggy.

I didn't know that people use oil to baggy though...especially saturating their hair with it.
Doesn't that make your hair a greasy mess?
I know that when I was using too much moisturizer, I was getting wet hair in the morning. And that was bad enough.
I can't imagine what would happen if I soaked my hair in oil and then baggied. :perplexed
Can anyone explain it to me?

Yeah...you guys are using a *ahem* new, modified version of the original "baggy method". And, not knocking it at all, just letting you know.

Yes, saturating your hair with oil makes it a greasy mess. That is exactly the point of the "baggy/ie method"....it's a pre-poo treatment. What would happen if you soaked your hair in oil is that you would have to wash it out. :grin::yawn: But, we were frequent co-washers back here a couple years ago so the thought of soaking our ponytails in oil was nothing because we were co-washing almost every morning anyway.

It depends on what you are willing to do for the health of your hair. Everyone is not willing to do it that way and that's fine. It's all trial and error and whatever your comfort level is.

I just know for me, it's a staple and I have never abandoned it. (now, I may get lazy and not do it on a regular basis...but I've never said to myself, "this method is for the birds") My hair has always responded well to it.

ceebee3

basically...but it's really important that the plastic is individually wrapped around each ponytail. The "BAGGIE METHOD" was named that way because somebody started using sandwich baggies on her oil-saturated ponytails.

I've never tried it with condish. I think using an oil is healthier and equally if not more moisturizing. It's a pre-poo oil treatment. Also...I briefly mentioned this earlier...but CASTOR OIL and the baggie method are like peanut butter and jelly. They go together REALLLY WELL.

This sounds good, I've never done a treatment with castor oil. I'll try it this weekend.

Thanks