What's In Your Hair Growth Oil? Anyone Use Lemon Or Grapefruit Essential Oils?

Libra08

I hate the way lavender, Rosemary, tea tree oil make my hair smell. It smells like old lady to me. Has anyone have good experience using more citrus smelling essential oils or something similar? Thank you!

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
When I mix it up myself: peppermint, tea tree, rosemary, lavender, white thyme, atlas cedarwood.

Citrus oils (except tangerine) send my scalp to the fiery depths of hell so I don't use them. I usually dump extra lavender in if I'm not feeling the scent that day but I usually don't mind since my moisturizers are heavily scented and you never really smell the scalp oil anyway.

Libra08

I recently discovered cinnamon essential oil. It's not citrus but smells nice and stimulates circulation for growth. I put it in my conditioner + olive oil pre-poo.

That sounds like a great alternative. Hopefully gnc has some that I can smell.

sithembile

I love grapefruit oil and in the UK, a lot of vendors market it as a growth stimulant.

If you choose cinnamon, I would suggest cinnamon leaf oil rather than cinnamon bark which is very irritating unless used at very low levels. Cinnamon leaf smells more like clove and bark smells more like the spice.

You could also try rose geranium oil, its expensive but smells lovely and good for dry hair.

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
I hate the way lavender, Rosemary, tea tree oil make my hair smell. It smells like old lady to me. Has anyone have good experience using more citrus smelling essential oils or something similar? Thank you!

I use lemon & grapefruit oils sparingly to avoid sun sensitivity on my scalp. Instead I use these:

If you want the benefits of tea tree but a citrus scent try lemon tea tree (Leptospermum citratum) and (Leptospermum petersonii) essential oils.

There's also lemon eucalyptus (Eucalyptus Citriodora) essential oil

Lavender tea tree (Melaleuca ericafolia) essential oil

Lemon Balm (Melissa Officinalis) essential oil - very expensive; often sold in jojoba oil.