What's in beer that makes your hair grow? Or .....

Koffie

What\'s in beer that makes your hair grow? Or .....

does beer really make your grow? I ask because when I was a child, my friend's mom used to put beer in her hair & when she was doing this, my friends hair was extremely long, but when we got to junior high & she started to do her own hair, her length decreased tremendously. Also, I remember my dad used to pour beer in the house plants to make them grow, and I can recall someone on this website saying that they learned how to grow hair from a plant book and not a hair book
!
I also date a barber and he told me that he learned in barber school that liquor/ or beer helps aide in hair growth, and that's why you see so many winos with alot of hair.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some clarification on this.

Avin'sMom2010

Re: What\'s in beer that makes your hair grow? Or .....

I've never heard that BUT, I think that you see alot of winos with long hair because they can't afford to get a hair cut

Kaela

LOL @ stephypoo; I know you probably were just making an observation though...

I know that the yeast from beer fermentation is high in B vitamins, but most commercial beers have most of that filtered out already. I'm not sure why it works as a hair rinse, unless it helps with stripping out residue and buildup...

It is not, however, the alcohol that assists growth.

moneychaser

I HEARD something about beer being high in protiens, and that it can strip a relaxer out of your hair

MoezThunder

perhaps the yeast in the beer offers several of the same benefits as the brewers yeast supplement

Angelicus

It is probably the Hops in beer (or yeast). Yummie Hops are sometimes put in strengthening conditoners such as Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Reconstructor.

Isis

Yes, it must be the yeast in the beer. I thought it was different than brewer's yeast, but maybe not. I may read up on this one...

CoveredGirl

Dana03 said:
I HEARD something about beer being high in protiens, and that it can strip a relaxer out of your hair

I heard this too! A little off topic, but this is what one of my relaxed friends did to revert her hair back to natural. One day she was silky straight, and the next she was sportin' a very kinky afro!

MeccaMedinah

Baha_Ma said:
I heard this too! A little off topic, but this is what one of my relaxed friends did to revert her hair back to natural. One day she was silky straight, and the next she was sportin' a very kinky afro!

Yeah, but we all know that you can't actually strip a relaxer from your hair, right? :ohwell:

sugaplum

Star Shooter

MeccaMedinah said:
Yeah, but we all know that you can't actually strip a relaxer from your hair, right? :ohwell:
Right. :up: But this beer thing is very interesting. Has anyone tried this yet?

MeccaMedinah

sugaplum said:
Right. :up: But this beer thing is very interesting. Has anyone tried this yet?

I remember trying beer on my relaxed hair as a teen. I think beer is like conditioner on the hair. I'll give it another go & post the results.

sugaplum

Star Shooter

MeccaMedinah said:
I remember trying beer on my relaxed hair as a teen. I think beer is like conditioner on the hair. I'll give it another go & post the results.
Thanks MeccaMedinah. I can't wait. :)

CoveredGirl

MeccaMedinah said:

Oh you're right, but from the looks of her hair the beer did a great job hiding it. I guess the alcohol just dried her hair out... extremely :confused:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

Baha_Ma said:
Oh you're right, but from the looks of her hair the beer did a great job hiding it. I guess the alcohol just dried her hair out... extremely :confused:
probably, because relaxed hair can look just as nappy as someone with natural hair ;)

msmerc

People used to use beer as a conditioner. I used it before to rollerset my hair. I would use it on the ends mainly.

lsubabiedee

Jewell said:
LOL. Maybe I need to stock up on some Icehouse. :lol:

man, yall better get some nati lite....ya know, u can get like a case for like a dollar or something! lol