What Will Strengthen My Hair??

wyldcurlz

i'd like to know what's the best way to strengthen my natural hair? i try to keep it conditioned - my vice is heat styling. i heat style at most 3 times a month. but there are plenty of months when i don't heat style at all. (by heat style i mean have my hair pressed &/or flat-ironed...if its done at the salon, they usually blow it dry also.)

while doing an S&D mission today, i'm noticing my ends seem very fragile. what can i do to strengthen my hair?

LovelyLionessa

For me strength come in the form of protein, I like to DC with ORS Hair Mayo which has collagen and keratin.

Also henna strengthens as it envelops the keratin found naturally in hair.

lizjoseph

For me strength come in the form of protein, I like to DC with ORS Hair Mayo which has collagen and keratin.

Also henna strengthens as it envelops the keratin found naturally in hair.

I concur. You might need a protein treatment. ORS Hair Mayo is a good mild protein. Aphogee is also good. They have botha 2 min one and the hardcore "dry damaged hair" one. I would either do the mayo or the 2 min since they might be enough by themseleves. Don't want to bring out the "big gun" Aphogee (the one that gets hard) if it's not neccessary.

dillard

biotin has also strengthened my hair... i take 5mg of biotin as well as a b50 complex every night. might be worth a try. it makes my hair thicker and stronger. as well as castor oil, it coats my hair and makes it appear thicker.

Kari107

Protien treatments are good for strenght and since you use heat a good heat protectant should help.

wyldcurlz

kari07 - your hair is beautiful! what do you do to it?

thanks for all the protein recommendations. especially the one about the apoghee 2minute treatment. i only knew of the one that gets hard. i'll try a protein of some sort...or a reconstructor. i was doing aubrey organics gbp.

also, how do you all use castor oil? when you're using it monthly? just adding it to your ends? or putting it all over the hair? do you apply heat when you deep condition with castor oil?

Hi Wyld!
When I use it - I use it as a hot oil treatment - apply on dry hair leave on hair for about 4 hours then would wash hair as you would normally. I recently added castor oil to my nightly routine - I put some on my hand (2-3 drops) and rub through out my hair! My strands are definitely getting stronger - I have fine hair and I have noticed an improvement. HTH

thanks for all the protein recommendations. especially the one about the apoghee 2minute treatment. i only knew of the one that gets hard. i'll try a protein of some sort...or a reconstructor. i was doing aubrey organics gbp.

also, how do you all use castor oil? when you're using it monthly? just adding it to your ends? or putting it all over the hair? do you apply heat when you deep condition with castor oil?

AvaSpeaks

Iron! Take a multivitamin that has Iron. You gotta have the hair strong when it's coming out the scalp.

LABETT

I use Wella Liquid Hair Restructurizer leave in conditioner and it has strengthen my hair tremendously.
I think it strengthen with a couple of uses that would take Imfusium 23 a month to do.
Expensive but worth every penny,it contains Hydrolyzed Keratin and Hydrolyzed Silk Protein.
I also pre poo with JBCO and add it to my conditioners.
Since adding Biotin,B-complex and stretching relaxers has also helped.

Mortons

Henna! When I started doing henna treatments, my hair would be sooo strong. After a treatment I would lose hardly any hair in the comb.

ryanshope

Protein, Protein, Protein. I am so glad to see this post, because I wanted to get on my soap box about hair strength. I have DOZENS of conditioners and my hair is relaxer, midback and for YEARS I have been on a quest for the right moisture/strength balance...I finally realized that the hair must be strong in order for it to grow; then impart moisture to keep the length obtained from growing..DUH.

I used Jherri's Protein Conditioner mixed with Aphogee and my hair has been SO STRONG since..I am also taking amino acids and a hair vitamin.

Now, I can use my moisturizing conditioners for "softness" but my hair is still strong..LOVE it..PLEASE try some protein in your diet and hair...

Kari107

Thanks! My main focus is to try to keep up with moisture and protein. I also try to baby my hair as much as I can. I've abused it so much in the past it deserves the attention. Also resisting tempation to just shave it all off when I'm mad:yep:. :grin:

Brownie518

For strengthening, I use Redken Deep Fuel or Rescue Force. I also use the Ion Keratin Reconstructor. ORS Hair Mayo and Lamaur Bone Marrow Treatment are excellent, also.

As for the castor oil, I use it on my hair every day. I put it on my ends anytime they feel dry. I use it to seal when I moisturize and I use it in my conditioners or on dry hair with heat as a prepoo. It is an excellent oil. I have also used it for oil rinses, with great results. Hair comes out soft, shiny and detangled.:yep: