What really helped YOU to thicken up your strands?

Crystalicequeen123

I'm just wondering what types of things personally helped you ladies thicken up your hair?

Okay, I admit...I've been seriously slacking off in the hair department. I mean, I still wait at least 12 weeks for a relaxer touchup, and I don't have my stylist relax bone straight. But I STILL feel like my fine-textured 4a/b hair has become even THINNER over the past 6 months. I haven't been strictly taking care of my hair like I used to. :look:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong! :( My ends are ridiculous. :nono: I got so fed up with them this morning that I did a mini dusting MYSELF. Usually I don't dare bring a pair of sciccors to my head unless my stylist is doing the trim. But today I just got too fed up at how thin my ends looked, that I took it upon myself to do a mini-dusting. :cry3:

So ladies (especially you fine-haired sisters) what tips or changes in your regimen worked for YOU to thicken up your hair strands??

ceebee3

I'm also a fine haired 4a. My ends are always in excellent condition, I roller set every week. However, I've always wanted thicker hair.

I didn't really believe all the claims about henna until I tried it, I'm so glad I did. I noticed a difference immediately in the thickness of my hair. It's not 10 times thicker but enough to make me happy and keep using henna.

I love it!

darlingdiva

Hey, Crystalicequeen123!!!

I'm a fine-haired natural w/ thin strands, so I know what you're going through. The only thing that has helped me thicken up my strands is coating my hair in castor oil. The problem is that it's temporary (for me, anyway). As soon as I stop doing it, I can tell the difference.

kooskoos

I'm a super fine natural, thin strands, and my hair would break every time I took a deep breath :nono: But using henna every 3 weeks to a month has given me MUCH THICKER strands, and my ends are much better now :grin:

djanae

I really can't emphasize enough how much coconut oil has helped my hair.

It's helped me retain length and made my hair softer... My sister even commented the other day on how my hair looked a lot thicker.

Last edited:

LaBelleLL

For me, I think putting haitian castor oil on my scalp is making my hair at my roots to grow out thicker. So in a year or 2, my hair will overall be thicker....

HTH!

Crystalicequeen123

Thanks for the advice ladies! :D :D

I find it interesting that nobody has yet mentioned about types of relaxers they use, or using vitamins. Hmmm.... :scratchch

I'm also a fine haired 4a. My ends are always in excellent condition, I roller set every week. However, I've always wanted thicker hair.

I didn't really believe all the claims about henna until I tried it, I'm so glad I did. I noticed a difference immediately in the thickness of my hair. It's not 10 times thicker but enough to make me happy and keep using henna.

I love it!

About henna...how does this product work? Does it just coat your hair and give it the "illusion" of being thicker? Or, does it actually DO something to your strands to make them naturally thicker?? In other words, if I were to stop using it, would the strands that had the henna on them revert back to being thin again? :(

Also...you ladies that use Castor oil on your strands...how do you all use it? Because I have a couple of bottles of some cheap CVS brand castor oil :giggle: and it looks about as thick as molasses! :shocked: I can't imagine putting something that thick on the strands of my hair. I think my fine hair would break off! :lol:

tocktick

When I BC'd I had a few patches of thin hair. Some of them were almost bald patches. Low manipulation styles helped put less stress on my hair, I think that allowed my hair to grow back in quickly. I've also always used castor oil on my hair, which I heard was good for making hair thicker. The patches were filled in within about 2-3 months.

eta: I use castor oil after washing my hair. I apply it to damp hair.

Last edited:

*Michelle*

I find it interesting that nobody has yet mentioned about types of relaxers they use, or using vitamins. Hmmm.... :scratchch

I was coming in here too! My first thought is look internally (diet, anemia, vitamin deficient etc).

Also, in re to your cutting/trimming...are you really getting rid of all the splits at one time, or just a little here in there. IMO it is better to get rid them all at once...less of a battle and the hair looks SO much better IMMEDIATELY.

I would not use a no lye relaxer and def wouldn't go bone straight.

Oh and yes I have fine hair with medium density. I also never t-up before 16 weeks.

Good luck!

Aggie

Cosigning on henna as well. Henna acts like a tanin that coats the hair. Wonderful results for me and I plan on continuing to use it especially since it covers my gray hairs so well.

Crystalicequeen123

I was coming in here too! My first thought is look internally (diet, anemia, vitamin deficient etc).

Also, in re to your cutting/trimming...are you really getting rid of all the splits at one time, or just a little here in there. IMO it is better to get rid them all at once...less of a battle and the hair looks SO much better IMMEDIATELY.

Yeah I agree with you. This morning I just did an "emergency" dusting. I was DESPERATE!!! A la "Britney Spears shaving head"! :lachen: I don't even know if my ends are all straight, but I just could not stand the sight of those fine ends any longer! When I get my hair done again by my stylist (hopefully next Friday), I'll let her do a REAL trim on my hair. It's been a while since I've had a "REAL" trim. Usually I just get dustings (if anything at all). :look:

I would not use a no lye relaxer and def wouldn't go bone straight.

Oh and yes I have fine hair with medium density. I also never t-up before 16 weeks.

Good luck!

Hmmm...now this caught my eye. Why would you NOT use a no-lye relaxer? What does that have to do with the thickness of hair? Please fill me in! I thought no-lye relaxers are supposed be less harsh on the hair and thicken the hair up? I've used a no-lye relaxer (ORS regular) for two touch-ups right now (so at least 6 or 7 months), and I'm still trying to figure out if this is for me. Hmmm.... :scratchch

Crystalicequeen123

GeminiGirl: Btw, I just had to say that I love that picture of MJ in your siggy! :look: He looks all smoldering and stuff. lol*

Hmm...I wonder what regimen he was using? :rofl:

KiniKakes

Fine haired lady here too! :)

1) STOPPED wrapping at night (permanent thickening)
2) Minimize daily combing (permanent thickening)
3) Biotin (temporary thickening, lasts as long as i do it)
4) Henna (temporary thickening, lasts as long as i do it)

With #s 1 and 2 (minimizing manipulation)..... I guess that doesnt "thicken" the individual strand so much as gave my hair an overall impression of being thicker, because i was losing way less hair daily. And, overtime, my hair gradually gained in volume and fullness.

KiniKakes

Hmmm...now this caught my eye. Why would you NOT use a no-lye relaxer? What does that have to do with the thickness of hair? Please fill me in! I thought no-lye relaxers are supposed be less harsh on the hair and thicken the hair up? I've used a no-lye relaxer (ORS regular) for two touch-ups right now (so at least 6 or 7 months), and I'm still trying to figure out if this is for me. Hmmm.... :scratchch

I use a no-lye relaxer, and havent found a difference in terms of the thickness of strand.

In general, no lye tends to be gentler on the scalp, but more drying for the strand..... while lye is a bit harsher on the scalp, not as drying on the strand. Each has it's pros and cons, I suppose.

But with regards to thickness, I would think that has more to do with how long your stylist keeps the relaxer on the hair/how much of the hair it touches - regardless of lye or no lye. *shrug* Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's always been my understanding. :)

Lady Esquire

The following helped thicken up my hair:

Stretching relaxers (less chemical treatments stripping away body)
Texlaxing (not relaxing bone straight)
Henna (every so often)
Low manipulation (low frequency of combing retains more hair)
Rollersetting (as opposed to curling irons)
Airdrying (least amount of manipulation and more curl definition, more volume)
Hot oil treatments (they seem to beef up the appearance of the hair)
Keeping ends healthy and trimmed

Ladybug33

I take Biotin and I believe it helps for both growth and thickness of new growth.

Less heat has also helped.

darlingdiva

About henna...how does this product work? Does it just coat your hair and give it the "illusion" of being thicker? Or, does it actually DO something to your strands to make them naturally thicker?? In other words, if I were to stop using it, would the strands that had the henna on them revert back to being thin again? :(

Also...you ladies that use Castor oil on your strands...how do you all use it? Because I have a couple of bottles of some cheap CVS brand castor oil :giggle: and it looks about as thick as molasses! :shocked: I can't imagine putting something that thick on the strands of my hair. I think my fine hair would break off! :lol:

I put it on my hair before I braid it up. It is thick, but it absorbs into the hair really well. I put it on after I apply my leave-in.

Crystalicequeen123

Thanks for the input ladies. :)

Taking biotin and spacing out my relaxers has thickened up my hair tremendously.

Yes, I'm going to have to get back on the ball with biotin. I did notice that this thickened my hair up considerably when I used it religiously a few years back. :yep:

I have to stop slacking! :wallbash:

[/B]

I put it on my hair before I braid it up. It is thick, but it absorbs into the hair really well. I put it on after I apply my leave-in.

Thanks! :up: Maybe I'll try this method and see what happens.

As re: lye vs. no-lye... I think all relaxers have their pros and cons. :yep: I'll have to look back at some old pictures of mine and journal entries and see which relaxers I liked the most and which times my hair looked the healthiest, the thickest and the longest. I think maybe this will also help narrow down my choice whether to finally decide to stick with no-lye, or go back to lye.

*Michelle*

Yeah I agree with you. This morning I just did an "emergency" dusting. I was DESPERATE!!! A la "Britney Spears shaving head"! :lachen: I don't even know if my ends are all straight, but I just could not stand the sight of those fine ends any longer! When I get my hair done again by my stylist (hopefully next Friday), I'll let her do a REAL trim on my hair. It's been a while since I've had a "REAL" trim. Usually I just get dustings (if anything at all). :look:

Re the cut...sounds like a good idea, hope you share some pix! :yep:

I use a no-lye relaxer, and havent found a difference in terms of the thickness of strand.

In general, no lye tends to be gentler on the scalp, but more drying for the strand..... while lye is a bit harsher on the scalp, not as drying on the strand. Each has it's pros and cons, I suppose.

But with regards to thickness, I would think that has more to do with how long your stylist keeps the relaxer on the hair/how much of the hair it touches - regardless of lye or no lye. *shrug* Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's always been my understanding. :)

I agree with the bold text. It has been my professional experience that lye relaxers are better on the hair regardless of the texture. However as Kini (and many others) have said they feel no lye is the way to go. So since you are not sitting in a chair in front of me...I say go with what you think is best for your hair, since you have tried both!

vkb247

Henna!

Henna is permanent so you can do it a couple of times, stop, and retain the benefits. It creates a permanent coating on each strand so the more you use it the thicker each strand gets. You really only have to retouch your roots as your hair grows once you get the desired results.

I have thick hair and was using henna for other reasons but noticed a big difference in thickness after my fourth application. Makes the hair stronger too!

sqzbly1908

I have very fine hair as well...My hair has thickened by not only increasing the protein that I use on my hair - (every time I wash - use both a protein and moisturizing condish) but I use a protein leave in before using my mousse/setting lotion and rollersetting my hair - the leave ins that I use are either Joico K-Pak liquid reconstructor, Kerastase Leave in or Paul Mitchell Super Strong liquid treatment - ....

leleepop

dcing every time i wash my hair for a week... once over night...them baby hair with a protective style...

KinkyGenius

I have very fine hair as well...My hair has thickened by not only increasing the protein that I use on my hair - (every time I wash - use both a protein and moisturizing condish) but I use a protein leave in before using my mousse/setting lotion and rollersetting my hair - the leave ins that I use are either Joico K-Pak liquid reconstructor, Kerastase Leave in or Paul Mitchell Super Strong liquid treatment - ....

I have to agree with this 200%

I have fine hair as well, and once I started doing weekly light protein treatments on my hair and using a protein-based leave in on my wash days, my hair has gotten considerable thicker.

In addition to that, other things that have helped me is:
  • No direct heat
  • Airdrying
  • Stretching my relaxers (relaxing every 12-14 weeks)
  • Switching to a Lye relaxer
  • Not relaxing bone straight
I'm getting kinda curious about this Henna business though from reading these responses :thought:

Aggie

Fine haired lady here too! :)

1) STOPPED wrapping at night (permanent thickening)
2) Minimize daily combing (permanent thickening)
3) Biotin (temporary thickening, lasts as long as i do it)

With #s 1 and 2 (minimizing manipulation)..... I guess that doesnt "thicken" the individual strand so much as gave my hair an overall impression of being thicker, because i was losing way less hair daily. And, overtime, my hair gradually gained in volume and fullness.

I agree with you on the bolded Kinikakes. As long as I henna my hair, the results last but as soon as I stop, the color begins to fade, slowly, but it fades none the less. I think that even the most permanent colors out there are not truly permanent. There are so many things we put on our hair that causes the color to degrade over time and henna in my opinion, is no different. I do believe that some color is left on the hair after many months, but it sure does fade.

I will continue to henna my hair more often because of this same reason and of course, I love the results as well. My hair is pretty fine so we'll see how much more thickness I will have in about a year or so from now of using henna.